Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Vivec City is SO BROKEN...

sevomd69
sevomd69
✭✭✭✭✭
Every time... every single time I port into Vivec City... I crash... EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!! XBNA...
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    If you are experiencing frequent crashes on Xbox One when entering certain zones, we recommend you restart your console by double-tapping the [Xbox] button on your controller, selecting Settings, and then selecting Restart console.

    If the issue persists, follow the instructions below.

    First, power-cycle your Xbox One:
    1. Press and hold the [Xbox] button on the front of your console for 10 seconds.
    2. Once the machine has turned off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the Xbox One and wait two minutes.
    3. Plug the power back in and wait for the power bricks light to go from White to Orange.
    4. Once the power brick has the Orange light, turn the console back on.

    After power-cycling your console, ensure that all apps (including music apps) are disabled and log back into the game.

    If power cycling your Xbox One does not resolve the issue, you should try the following steps:
    1. Leave the game and open My Games and Apps.
    2. Highlight The Elder Scrolls Online and press [Menu].
    3. Enter Manage Data.
    4. Delete saved data from all sources.

    Note that this process clears your game settings. It does not delete the game itself or your characters.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done all of this and still dc every single time I am in Vivec also.
    Options
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    If you are experiencing frequent crashes on Xbox One when entering certain zones, we recommend you restart your console by double-tapping the [Xbox] button on your controller, selecting Settings, and then selecting Restart console.

    If the issue persists, follow the instructions below.

    First, power-cycle your Xbox One:
    1. Press and hold the [Xbox] button on the front of your console for 10 seconds.
    2. Once the machine has turned off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the Xbox One and wait two minutes.
    3. Plug the power back in and wait for the power bricks light to go from White to Orange.
    4. Once the power brick has the Orange light, turn the console back on.

    After power-cycling your console, ensure that all apps (including music apps) are disabled and log back into the game.

    If power cycling your Xbox One does not resolve the issue, you should try the following steps:
    1. Leave the game and open My Games and Apps.
    2. Highlight The Elder Scrolls Online and press [Menu].
    3. Enter Manage Data.
    4. Delete saved data from all sources.

    Note that this process clears your game settings. It does not delete the game itself or your characters.

    I do a hard reset every time I turn off my XB1... so I'll try the all saved data thing and report back...
    Options
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    If you are experiencing frequent crashes on Xbox One when entering certain zones, we recommend you restart your console by double-tapping the [Xbox] button on your controller, selecting Settings, and then selecting Restart console.

    If the issue persists, follow the instructions below.

    First, power-cycle your Xbox One:
    1. Press and hold the [Xbox] button on the front of your console for 10 seconds.
    2. Once the machine has turned off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the Xbox One and wait two minutes.
    3. Plug the power back in and wait for the power bricks light to go from White to Orange.
    4. Once the power brick has the Orange light, turn the console back on.

    After power-cycling your console, ensure that all apps (including music apps) are disabled and log back into the game.

    If power cycling your Xbox One does not resolve the issue, you should try the following steps:
    1. Leave the game and open My Games and Apps.
    2. Highlight The Elder Scrolls Online and press [Menu].
    3. Enter Manage Data.
    4. Delete saved data from all sources.

    Note that this process clears your game settings. It does not delete the game itself or your characters.

    I do a hard reset every time I turn off my XB1... so I'll try the all saved data thing and report back...

    Nope... still crashing always about a minute or two after I way shrine into Vivec City... almost always when I'm walking or running...
    Options
  • jmferris
    jmferris
    ✭✭
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    Nope... still crashing always about a minute or two after I way shrine into Vivec City... almost always when I'm walking or running...

    For what it is worth, the same thing happens for myself, my wife, and a majority of our friends who play this game. We've all gone through the same troubleshooting steps, provided above, and it still continues to happen. Vivec City is the biggest offender for us, with Orsinium a close second. I continually have issues in Balmora, as well.

    Symptoms are always the same. It will start with texture load and geometry issues, with periodic stuttering and get progressively worse. Sometimes, as a bonus, it will immediately crash on travelling to either of the two wayshrines in Vivec City, as well. While I am on XB, too, I have friends on both PS4 and PC that report the same issues. The only conclusion that we are drawing is that it happens in high-geometry, high-population areas.

    Some people do not have the issues, at all. Not sure what type of magic they practice in real-life, but I really would like to find out.

    Options
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmferris wrote: »
    sevomd69 wrote: »
    Nope... still crashing always about a minute or two after I way shrine into Vivec City... almost always when I'm walking or running...

    For what it is worth, the same thing happens for myself, my wife, and a majority of our friends who play this game. We've all gone through the same troubleshooting steps, provided above, and it still continues to happen. Vivec City is the biggest offender for us, with Orsinium a close second. I continually have issues in Balmora, as well.

    Symptoms are always the same. It will start with texture load and geometry issues, with periodic stuttering and get progressively worse. Sometimes, as a bonus, it will immediately crash on travelling to either of the two wayshrines in Vivec City, as well. While I am on XB, too, I have friends on both PS4 and PC that report the same issues. The only conclusion that we are drawing is that it happens in high-geometry, high-population areas.

    Some people do not have the issues, at all. Not sure what type of magic they practice in real-life, but I really would like to find out.

    I was having massive issues with texture load in Morrowind and Orsinium, but after I changed my DNS to Google, loading and stutter have been much much better... Everything used to be muddled... the stairs leading up to the Vivec's Palace... the way shrine there also... especially the place where we get the stone for first quest, where we save the workers... but now they load completely. Before the new DNS I had NEVER seen a fully rendered way shrine, temple stairs or the worksite... but still crashes... ALL THE TIME!!
    Options
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have this issue in all the DLC zones. Hew's Bane was really bad, but then I was mainly there during the anniversary event. It's a little better now that not so many other players are there. I can actually see a lot of the textures now, whereas before, everything was a muddy mess!

    I find that sometimes, if I wait a bit, the textures in Vivec City will load, but other times, if I wait, the game just crashes. Balmora runs better, in that I've not crashed there, but it is usually a muddy mess most of the time. Some of the outlying towns have gotten better since the player population is less than it was at launch. Out in the wilds, though, I don't have any problems with textures or stuttering or crashing, though there is the occasional lag.
    Options
  • jmferris
    jmferris
    ✭✭
    Exactly what we see @Jayne_Doe. Like @sevomd69 suggested, I did change my DNS a while back (Google DNS performs much better than OpenDNS for me). While it did improve the texture issues a bit, it did not reduce the crashes - and most of my crashes are still preceded by resource loading issues.

    Crashes in the wild are exceedingly rare for me, but I do get them. Most of the time, it is on a heavily trafficked dolmen (I'm looking at you A'likr).
    Options
  • ascottk
    ascottk
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the city has been optimized or designed for performance. One problem they said they fixed was the staircase leading to the palace:

    2ggmplf.png

    Soon after they said they fixed it the staircase wasn't there visually but all of a sudden ALL of it loaded at once. This lead me to believe there's only 2 LOD (level of detail) meshes: 1. no visible mesh at all, 2. low poly mesh loaded at a distance and then the main mesh. ONE MESH for the entire staircase. That's a lot of polygons! Also the textures seem to only have one mipmap (lower resolution texture loaded for distance viewing). When a city is heavily populated and that single and ugly mipmap loads you're looking at a lot of ugliness.

    See the variation of the texture on each column? That's not necessary (people are going to run up and down the stairs and not pay attention to detail). This staircase could've been made up of several instanced or copied segments with more LODs but instead it seems to be only one huge mesh.

    Another performance culprit is this:
    ua3ungv.png

    A section of the city under construction with a lot of individual posts. Can't really make an LOD of a cube (unless you billboard a 2D polygon which I struggle to comprehend... or 2D billboarded LOD's which is very common with trees and the grass under everyone's feet) so this is going to be memory intensive.

    The general design of Vivec City revolves around curves. Curves require more polygons.
    UIBNcqx.png

    Again I'm not sure there are LOD meshes. LOD meshes and using mipmaps in textures are really the only to optimize a large open world (limiting line of sight isn't really an option).

    The game engine code for loading LOD's and mipmaps could be the problem too. When it's loaded properly it's gorgeous.
    The nerf to intelligent internet discussion still hasn't been resolved.

    The problem with above average intelligence is that you're treading a sea of idiots.
    Options
Sign In or Register to comment.