Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Am I playing this right?

Stompnog
Stompnog
Soul Shriven
Yes, I'm a noob, sorry. I have a level 27 stam-den using a bow and am having some trouble. Versus regular mobs I can easily kill them in like 4 hits, Lethal Arrow + Cutting Dive + Lethal Arrow + Cutting Dive + maybe a medium attack to finish them. Even facing two or three at once isn't really a problem once I hit one with scatter shot and kill one fast. The problem is that "elites" (like the Delve bosses or even just the Minotaurs near the Dark Brotherhood hideout) completely eat my lunch. If I have enough ultimate then I can send my bear in and wait like 30 seconds (until the mob is at about 50-60% health) and then burn him the rest of the way. But if he gets aggro on me early I'm toast. Seriously, just a greasy spot in the dirt. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get the bear (ultimate) to tank for you =)
    Edited by Kikke on August 8, 2017 12:58AM
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • Kikke
    Kikke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also using some heals could be nice =)
    If you havent you can use a extra bow or something else to activate a second bar for more abilities.
    Cleared Trials:
    - vAA HM - vHRC HM - vSO HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM - vCR HM -

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching."
    -Someone said it, I guess.
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    Per the tutorial check the health bar of your opponents above them. The broader the red bar the tougher the beast. Perhaps the "elites" have the broadest bar of all :|
    Metaphysical Theory
    Everything is One...You. You are so much greater than the outline of your body. Objects originate from you.
    Everything is many...Objects. You are the extent of your skin. Objects surround you.
    Reality is either, neither or both; herein lies perception.
    Must we redefine the illusion of birth.
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • Stompnog
    Stompnog
    Soul Shriven
    I do use my bear to tank but I can't do much damage early or I'll pull aggro. I do use a bow backup as well but again, doing much before the mob is at 60% means I'll pull aggro. I can't heal myself fast enough to stay alive vs those mobs.

I think I only have 6 points in hp, rest in stam, and basically all medium armor.
  • Travestynox
    Travestynox
    ✭✭✭
    Being a Warden you have access to nice selfheals and magical shields early on, in fungal growth (it even has a stamina morph) and frost cloak, giving you a nice resistance buff.

Do you use bow on both bars? If so, consider switching one bar to some melee weaponry. Dual wield has skills that heals you while doing damage, 2 handed line has a very good heal but at lvl 50 only. Shield+1 hander obviously makes you more protected, but at the expense of your damage dealing capabilities.

You only describe ranged skills, and I think that's where your issue lies, unlock more skills to be prepared for various situations.
    And use area-of-effect and damage-over-time skills, like Scorch-> Subterrean assault and Impaling shards->Gripping shards.
    Check this site: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Warden+Skills

Lasty, don't be afraid to spend skillpoints in both skills and passives, you will get loads of them later on. Good luck :)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stompnog wrote: »
    Yes, I'm a noob, sorry. I have a level 27 stam-den using a bow and am having some trouble. Versus regular mobs I can easily kill them in like 4 hits, Lethal Arrow + Cutting Dive + Lethal Arrow + Cutting Dive + maybe a medium attack to finish them. Even facing two or three at once isn't really a problem once I hit one with scatter shot and kill one fast. The problem is that "elites" (like the Delve bosses or even just the Minotaurs near the Dark Brotherhood hideout) completely eat my lunch. If I have enough ultimate then I can send my bear in and wait like 30 seconds (until the mob is at about 50-60% health) and then burn him the rest of the way. But if he gets aggro on me early I'm toast. Seriously, just a greasy spot in the dirt. Am I doing something wrong?
    You need to use more skills, volley does damage over time (DOT) and will damage all enemies in area (AOE).
    Arrow spray is also an AOE, same with the warden Subterranean assault
    poision arrow does DOT but not sure if you have it yet.
    Having dual wield on the other bar is nice as its has lots of AOE skills for hitting multiple enemies close and some DOT.

Finally gear, ask in guild if some will craft you some set like hurdling rage, and some blue health+stamina food.
    You will move down enemies including the elites with no problems.
    Still you will need the AoE and DoT skills in public dungeons and group dungeons later so its smart to start using them.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Stompnog
    Stompnog
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks zaria, that's very helpful.

I think I have been approaching this game the same way I have approached other games-- I made a ranger and that's how I played her. But I need to be more versatile with my back bar so I can address different situations better.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stompnog wrote: »
    Thanks zaria, that's very helpful.

I think I have been approaching this game the same way I have approached other games-- I made a ranger and that's how I played her. But I need to be more versatile with my back bar so I can address different situations better.

I had the same problem when I started. This game is a little different than others. Suggestions.

- Get some armor and weapons crafted from guildies. Especially sets. Really improves your stats.
    - Food.Improves HPs and damage. Gotta use it.
    - Heal drinks. Really helps during a tough fight.
    - Blocking and dodging. I had a hard time wrapping my head around that you can block with a bow in your hand
    - Most important ... Don't save things. Spend your points when you get them. Easy to fix if you make a mistake or want to change. Ultimates. Use them. Don't save it for a rainy day. Tough fights you might get to use it a couple of times. Might make the difference between winning or losing the fight.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)