Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

So Alcast says this?

Texecutioner187
Texecutioner187
✭✭✭
Alcast says this will be the new BiS for MagSorcs.... but curious about what will change between today and HotR release that will enable this to be BiS... anyone know? Also, how will the Necro/Ilambris/Moondancer build compare?

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-sorcerer-build-pve/
Edited by Texecutioner187 on August 10, 2017 6:14PM
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    jgruberman wrote: »
    Alcast says this will be the new BiS for MagSorcs.... but curious about what will change between today and HotR release that will enable this to be BiS... anyone know? Also, how will the Necro/Ilambris/Moondancer build compare?

What is "this"?
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Sunah wrote: »

What is "this"?

Sorry, included link :smile:
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll be SHOCKED when you find out what the new meta is! Click the link below...

I'd prefer concise summaries, please, not some pseudo-clickbait.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »

No, I hadn't seen that before today. Is that data pre or post HotR? It's a ridiculous amount of data to take in, at the point where I'm having trouble understanding some of it. Will have to take time to figure it out.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He did a bunch of dps parses on a 3mil dummy on the pts and had the best results with that. Many things are changing in HotR: traits, mundus, gear bonuses. Just about all of the major dps sets are now within about 2% difference from each other, though Necro did receive a pretty substantial nerf and is currently at the bottom of the pack dps-wise. With a significant increase in potential crit from bonuses, proc sets are less desirable because they do not crit.

If you haven't checked out my magicka set comparison thread, you should go do that:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/365185/magicka-dps-set-bonus-comparison-math/p1

Edit: Ha, beaten to the punch. Yes these are HotR values.
    Edited by dpencil1 on August 10, 2017 6:30PM
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    He did a bunch of dps parses on a 3mil dummy on the pts and had the best results with that. Many things are changing in HotR: trait, mundus, gear bonuses. Just about all of the major dps sets are now within about 2% difference from each other, though Necro did receive a pretty substantial nerf and is currently at the bottom of the pack dps-wise. With a significant increase in potential crit from bonuses, proc sets are less desirable because they do not crit.

If you haven't checked out my magicka set comparison thread, you should go do that:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/365185/magicka-dps-set-bonus-comparison-math/p1

It's your thread I linked above :)

Edit: Which is awesome btw!
    Edited by Rouven on August 10, 2017 6:30PM
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    He did a bunch of dps parses on a 3mil dummy on the pts and had the best results with that. Many things are changing in HotR: trait, mundus, gear bonuses. Just about all of the major dps sets are now within about 2% difference from each other, though Necro did receive a pretty substantial nerf and is currently at the bottom of the pack dps-wise. With a significant increase in potential crit from bonuses, proc sets are less desirable because they do not crit.

Edit: Ha, beaten to the punch. Yes these are HotR values.

Thank you for the clarification on the Necro set. I was thinking it was towards last place after I had read that thread, but still making out a lot of what it all means. I'm still somewhat new to the game and trying to stay with the changes as they happen so forgive my questions if they are more rudimentary than a lot of the technical discussion I'm sure you're used to. So based on the set combinations on your thread linked above, what would the final piece be coming from? Any specific monster piece? Or selection of certain pieces?
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the best choices for PvE dps will be:
    Iceheart - Crit bonus
    Domihaus - Magicka/Stamina bonus
    Molag Kena - Spell/Wep Dmg bonus

...or Ilambris/Grothdarr/Infernal Guardian if you only care about the Magicka bonus

Which works best for you will depend what kind of stat best synergizes with the rest of your build. The difference will be very small in either case though.

Stam players will use Kragh most of the time, I think. I can't say for sure.
    Edited by dpencil1 on August 10, 2017 6:38PM
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    proc sets are less desirable because they do not crit.

I missed this in my original reply... is this something that is changing with HotR? Or has this always been the case?
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crit set bonuses were increased 55%, and Mother's Sorrow got a buff to the 5-piece. You can get 21% from that set alone. You can get almost 100% crit on a mag Sorc now, which before was unthinkable. So things that don't crit are less favorable in that environment.
    Edited by dpencil1 on August 10, 2017 6:41PM
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Crit set bonuses were increased 55%, and Mother's Sorrow got a buff to the 5-piece. You can get 21% from that set alone. You can get almost 100% crit on a mag Sorc now, which before was unthinkable. So things that don't crit are less favorable in that environment.

So it sounds like some sort of combination of Mothers Sorrow and Netch's Touch is going to be ideal. Is that just for single target damage or will that increase overall AoE damage? (I warned you my questions were novice)
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    proc sets are less desirable because they do not crit.

I missed this in my original reply... is this something that is changing with HotR? Or has this always been the case?

It's been changed a while back (Homestead perhaps? I don't remember exactly) mainly for PvP reasons. So not HotR change but also hasn't always been the case ;)
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are using 100% lightning damage Netch will be very strong. Your Liquid lightning, Blockade of storms, and Heavy attacks will all get boosted quite a bit, which are all AOE.
    Edited by dpencil1 on August 10, 2017 6:47PM
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    If you are using 100% lightning damage Netch will be very strong. Your Liquid lightning, Blockade of storms, and Heavy attacks will all get boosted quite a bit, which are all AOE.

When you say(and your post) 100% lightning damage... Does that mean both lightning weapons and lightning enchants?
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That means that whatever sources of damage you do, the more they are lightning, the stronger Netch's benefit will be for you. In the charts on my post I was assuming 100% of all the damage you do was lightning. If you do a parse using Combat Metrics and use a few other sources of damage, like fire or magic damage, you need to make sure the total amount of damage you are doing is made up of at least 75% lightning damage. Less than that, and you would have been better off with Julianos.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd suggest reading the patch notes. Much information there. Always a good idea to read patch notes.

The change to weapon traits alone changes much, shifts where we get what. Also, there will probably be some differing oppinions ans still much testing before meta is really revealed due to all the changes.

And the big question is what will the update look like when it hits live.
    Edited by idk on August 10, 2017 7:00PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Expect Wrothgar load screens and crashes on Monday as the crowds press on to the Boreal Forge :)
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    That means that whatever sources of damage you do, the more they are lightning, the stronger Netch's benefit will be for you. In the charts on my post I was assuming 100% of all the damage you do was lightning. If you do a parse using Combat Metrics and use a few other sources of damage, like fire or magic damage, you need to make sure the total amount of damage you are doing is made up of at least 75% lightning damage. Less than that, and you would have been better off with Julianos.

That makes sense. Is there any way to calculate that on console? I know PC has that window that shows each damage type and total damage done and by which, etc.. not sure whether there's a way to definitively calc that for console or not
  • Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭

I'd suggest reading the patch notes. Much information there. Always a good idea to read patch notes.

The change to weapon traits alone changes much, shifts where we get what. Also, there will probably be some differing oppinions ans still much testing before meta is really revealed due to all the changes.

And the big question is what will the update look like when it hits live.

And that, I did do. I'm just not seasoned enough to know what certain things mean or how some items will impact others, etc. I am going to re-read it all again though hoping that more will make more sense to me.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    I said like 200000 times there is NO best in slot.
    Edited by Alcast on August 10, 2017 7:23PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »

I should have rephrased and said: "Alcast shows this gear for a MagSorc". Not only would that have been more accurate for what you portrayed, but would have been a better representation of what I meant to convey.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes sense. Is there any way to calculate that on console? I know PC has that window that shows each damage type and total damage done and by which, etc.. not sure whether there's a way to definitively calc that for console or not

Sadly, no addon on console to help with that. You can look at the tooltips for what skills you use. If all of them are lightning then there you go. If using Shooting Star rather than Thunderous Rage, that's 9-10% not effected by Netch. Each Force Pulse source is usually about 2-2.5%. So say 4-5% from the fire and ice hits not effected. Crystal Frags might be 3-4%. It's variable depending how much it procs. So that's 16-19% of your total damage not getting boosted by Netch. About 6-9% more damage from burning status effect, a monster set like Grothdarr, etc. and you're tied with Julianos. So it depends on the kind of skills you want to use.
    Edited by dpencil1 on August 10, 2017 7:27PM
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative

I should have rephrased and said: "Alcast shows this gear for a MagSorc". Not only would that have been more accurate for what you portrayed, but would have been a better representation of what I meant to convey.

Well I guess if you want tons of answer you gotta throw BiS in there haha
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Texecutioner187
    Texecutioner187
    ✭✭✭

Well I guess if you want tons of answer you gotta throw BiS in there haha

I've grown so accustomed to going to your website and clicking on my class and saying "Okay, that's the best... that's what I'm going to do", it's made me lazy to understanding what's going on behind the scenes. Alcast spoiled me and damn HotR making me work for my gaming!..... :blush:
    Edited by Texecutioner187 on August 10, 2017 7:40PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I have Mother's Sorrow purple jewels and a few small pieces in divines, crafted Julianos and all monster heads in divines, including Kena and Iceheart. At one point I was using 5 Julianos 5 Scathing Mage 1 Inceheart and the uptime on SM was pretty high, it procced almost constantly, especially in AoE battles, if I weaved LA & force pulse properly. So even that would be a set to consider.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna use 5x sorrow, 4 ia, 1 kena, 1 iceheart for HTORHOTR

Still 1+ for the awseome video
    Edited by xSkullfox on August 11, 2017 9:42AM
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.