Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Several housing questions

Benie
Benie
✭✭✭
Hey, I have several housing questions for anyone to answer (of buying my first house). Once the questions have been fully answered, I'll edit the OP.
Right, here we go...

-If I buy a furnished house, can I interact with objects (like chests)?
--(If 'Yes') Can I store my stuff (or are the chests just for decoration)?
---(If 'Yes') Will said stuff stay there (aka not get replaced with random loot)?
----(If 'Yes') (I believe I asked this before), but how do I set permissions where I only have just me, me and my friends, etc...?
-How many player houses can I own on one character? I know they're account-wide.
-Can the exterior of a house be decorated (if said house has a courtyard)?
-Can I have crafting tables at my house?
-How do I bump up the limit of special items (Non-combat pets, etc...) that can be placed in my house?
--Is this based on the house's size? If so, does it show the limit?

Not really related to purchasing a house, though it is for decorating one;
-How do I make furniture? What level in Woodworking do I need to start making basic sets?
--Also, is there a limit to the amount of furniture one can have in their house?

That should be it (for now). I'll update the OP if I can think/find anymore).
Edited by Benie on August 9, 2017 3:03AM
--Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -If I buy a furnished house, can I interact with objects (like chests)?

Yes to some, no to others. You can interact with chairs (to sit), lights (to turn them on and off), books (to read them), crafting stations (to craft), and target skeletons (to hit them to test your DPS). There are a couple other miscellaneous interactables, like incense sticks that emit little plumes of smoke and personal Mundus stones occasionally available. Chests, however, are a no, and not for want of asking on the community's part.

Just decoration. It's probably the most common thing on the community's collective wishlist.

-Can the exterior of a house be decorated (if said house has a courtyard)?
    If your house has an exterior within the instance, yes, you can decorate it. This is true for most medium and larger houses, and about half the small houses. The best way to figure out whether a house has a decoratable courtyard is to enter the Preview instance and just look around. If you can get to a courtyard without going through an "Exit Preview" door, (i.e., by going through a different door) the exterior is yours. Note that not all houses that seem to have yards do have yards, though. The Silent Magnifico medium house is notorious for having a private roof that is outside the instance, and therefore undecorateable, so read where each door goes carefully as you move your reticle over it.

-Can I have crafting tables at my house?
    Yep. You earn them through doing Crafting Writs. You can have basic crafting stations or attunable ones (which allow you to set the station to make a specific item set... great for crafted sets where the tables are out of the way or hard to get to)

-How do I bump up the limit of special items (Non-combat pets, etc...) that can be placed in my house?
    Houses come in tiers, each with a set item limit (the bigger the house, to more furnishings and collectibles you can keep there). The only way to increase the limit at the moment is to subscribe to ESO+, which doubles all item caps.

--Is this based on the house's size? If so, does it show the limit?
    Yes, though it doesn't show it before purchasing, which is a little annoying. This wiki page has the stats on all houses, including item caps: http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Player+Housing

Not really related to purchasing a house, though it is for decorating one;
    -How do I make furniture? What level in Woodworking do I need to start making basic sets?

Level 1. :) To craft a furnishing, you need to find a plan (you can buy the super basic ones from certain NPCs, like woodworkers; the rest, you have to find in the world, like cooking recipes). Each plan will list what the crafting requirements are, and some will require multiple crafting skills on one character to make. However, the easiest plans start at crafting Level 1 of any given crafting skill (because there are furnishing plans for every crafting skill, including Provisioning, Alchemy, and Enchanting!). If you have the materials, the plan, and the skills, you can make it.

--Also, is there a limit to the amount of furniture one can have in their house?
    Yep, all furnishings are capped, and overall increase is probably number two on the forum's collective wishlist. See the webpage I linked above for more info.

Hope that's enough to get you started!

Some resources for extra reading:
    Edited by BlackSparrow on August 9, 2017 4:56AM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    Just decoration. It's probably the most common thing on the community's collective wishlist.
    This pretty much sums up the feeling of wasting crowns or not. With this not a possibility, then it would be (until this is ever implemented).

Thanks for the other answers, by the way. Very helpful.
    --Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
    Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
    Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blacksparrpw was very thorough. The only thing I'd add is about crafting stations. You buy these from the master writ furnishing vendor in your capital city. Basic stations cost 35 vouchers, and attunable stations (which can be tuned to set crafting stations, like Hundings Rage or Twice Born Star) cost 250. He also sells target dummy recipes and some other stuff.

the vouchers are earned by completing master writs. A master writ is earned by doing top level crafting writs, and asks you to make a random piece of gear (i.e., make a divine law of julianos helm in Almere dominion motif).

If you do not do crafting writs or want to speed things up, you can buy master crafting writs in guild stores. I wanted to mention it because they aren't listed under a category...you just need to search all gold quality items in the store and scroll through. The current price formwrit vouchers is about 1,000 gold each, so you should be able to search around to find quests for stuff you can make and buy those. So by buying writ vouchers, the basic stations would cost about $35k each.