Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Locks, picks & pins"

LeBeowulf
LeBeowulf
I have an issue opening locked loot. Is there a particular method in pushing/tapping the pins with the pick? :|
Metaphysical Theory
Everything is One...You. You are so much greater than the outline of your body. Objects originate from you.
Everything is many...Objects. You are the extent of your skin. Objects surround you.
Reality is either, neither or both; herein lies perception.
Must we redefine the illusion of birth.
Allen Cecil Norde`

Best Answer

• JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trick is to release the pin right as the tumbler rattles. There is an audible and visual indicator. If you miss the first time note the spot and release at that spot second time. With practice it becomes easier.

Advanced and Master locks can be hard if you don't get the tumblers right the first time.

Edit: If on PC there is an add-on called FCO Lockpicker which will give you the option of a more obvious visual indicator.
    Edited by JasonSilverSpring on August 8, 2017 12:58AM
    Answer ✓
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Press and hold the button down and watch the tumbler thingy go down. Once it starts to rattle, release the button and it should lock. If not you held it down for too long, try to remember where it started to rattle and try to release it at that spot. Repeat this process with the remaining and boom there you go.
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    Thanks Jason & Sunah for your heads-up. The trick is to when to release!! Wanna be friends? I'm sending requests :)
    Edited by LeBeowulf on August 8, 2017 2:02AM
    Metaphysical Theory
    Everything is One...You. You are so much greater than the outline of your body. Objects originate from you.
    Everything is many...Objects. You are the extent of your skin. Objects surround you.
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    Edit: If on PC there is an add-on called FCO Lockpicker which will give you the option of a more obvious visual indicator.
    Where will I find this add-on?

Metaphysical Theory
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Im on Xbox but im down if you are man.
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    @Sunah: I'm on PC. We're friends on any machine :)
    Metaphysical Theory
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf
    LeBeowulf wrote: »
    I found the add-ons listed to the left of the opening character page. When I click on it I get a black script prohibited page, and when I go "Back" I get logged out! My guess the msg is addons are now obsolete :|

Metaphysical Theory
    Allen Cecil Norde`
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the add-ons listed to the left of the opening character page. When I click on it I get a black script prohibited page, and when I go "Back" I get logged out! My guess the msg is addons are now obsolete :|

Add-ons are developed by players. Go to esoui.com to find add-ons. Ideally download the application which installs them and helps keep them updated. The add-on manager is called Minion and can be found at https://www.minion.gg/. It makes installing and updating very easy.

I just recommend not going crazy with add-ons as they can cause issues. But, if you look for ones that are popular and updated they can be a great addition to the game. Once installed the add-ons will show in game where you went before. Note that you can selectively disable add-ons via the in game menu and that by default ESO will disable any add-ons it considers out of date. For such add-ons read the comments on esoui.com to see if people are reporting any issues. Some very good add-ons are out of date but most are kept up to date.

I am on PC NA. @Jason20910 is my game ID if you want to friend me.

EDIT: Updated to add more details about add-ons.
    Edited by JasonSilverSpring on August 8, 2017 8:48AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use mine idiot method, simply press down until fail, repeat and stop there where it failed last time. Works all the time, You will fail on master chests if many tumblers are on second lowest position or you break an pick, average 40% chance on master, 80 on expert. You win a lot on the high tumblers and also on the bottom ones who can not fail by rushing it.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another less obvious addition to this is that the tumbler goes 'up' much faster than it goes 'down,' so you only have to let off the button for a split second, not letting the pin fully reset.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS