Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Returning, Current state of healers?

Laranoye
Laranoye
✭✭✭
Howdy,

Just wondering on the current state of the different healers?

I know Templar is still top "ish" but how are the NB healers and DK healers these days? I'm not too bothered about Sorc a they are everywhere... Really i'd rather play something there is less of in the world.

I like the sound of DK shield heals however is it better than it used to be and do they now synergise well with the resto staff?
I did play a templar healer/dps for a while prior to July 2016 so alot has probably changed since then. But id like to try something new on a new console :) 4k HDR ftw!
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are basically three parts to healing nowadays: buffing, restoring health, and restoring resources.

NBs and DKs are very good at buffing the group and restoring health. Their passives synergize just fine with the Resto staff, and NB healers especially can be really nice to have, as a primary way they heal is by doing damage, increasing group DPS and reducing the time the rest of the party needs to be supported. They don't have a skill to replace the big spike heal that Templars have (Breath of Life), but you can make up for this by using Mutagen (Regeneration morph), which gives a decent spike heal if a party member falls below a certain health percentage.

The main place that non-Templar healers struggle is the third element, restoring resources. Templars have a built in skill (Blazing Spear) to give stamina back to party members, and at least in harder content, this is absolutely necessary to have. Non-Templar healers can make up for it by using monster sets (like Sentinel of Rkugamz) that restore stamina as well as by getting a Master's Restoration Staff from vet Dragonstar Arena (Makes Grand Healing/Healing Springs restore stamina). So it can be done, you just have to try a little harder to get the right tools.

Also, there was an interesting discussion of NB healers about a month ago that you might find useful.
    Edited by casparian on January 31, 2017 5:15PM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Laranoye
    Laranoye
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now wondering between magika Templar and DK healer/dps.

I loved my Templar I had before but thought I may try something else as its a new account :/ .

However I wonder about the performance of both on a healer vs dps level.

I think Templar will win out on a pure healer basis. But how close is DK? just wondering how good the DK shields are in a party.

I believe the DK will be almost top magika dps in next update. but marginal.

I'm wondering if Altmer Magika Templar would still be better for me, and i'm used to it.for both dps and healing.

Cheers
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magplar healer thinks in terms for five functions actually. In priority: Healing, buffing, debuffing/cursing, restoring resources and, finally, dps.

Debuffing = cursing. Purify, Elemental drain, etc.
    Dps. It seems almost criminal to not use Radiant Glory/Oppression (Update 13 notwithstanding) at those key points where is can convincingly end the whole fight.

Mind you that I don't feel qualified or interested in grouping with parties sporting DDs who can do 50K dps. That is, I have little interest in 'elite' content (or PvP). In the more informal gaggles and groupings my healer favors, her dps contribution is quite relevant. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB healer here... I've got it all, from huge heals (refresh path, healing ward, healing springs, funnel, etc.) , debuff/buffing (WARHORN, MARK, HEMORRHAGE, etc.) What I need advice on is resource return...

is it better to go with orbs or ELEMENTAL DRAIN for providing the group with resources?
  • ExWhizzy
    ExWhizzy
    ✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

The main place that non-Templar healers struggle is the third element, restoring resources. Templars have a built in skill (Blazing Spear) to give stamina back to party members, and at least in harder content, this is absolutely necessary to have. Non-Templar healers can make up for it by using monster sets (like Sentinel of Rkugamz) that restore stamina as well as by getting a Master's Restoration Staff from vet Dragonstar Arena (Makes Grand Healing/Healing Springs restore stamina). So it can be done, you just have to try a little harder to get the right tools.

Mystic / Energy Orb do both heal stamina or magicka as well so anybody can at least get some decent stamina healing without spear.

The MAIN reason to play templar - breath of life. It's just the best non aiming non conditional burst heal in game - paired with all the heal-oriented passives templar gets. All other classes do have to rely on non-so-efficient burst heals.

But be prepared to get trashtalked by other who simply cant think outside the box and still live in the same dumb meta 1 year ago thinking that templar is the ONLY viable healer out there - which is utterly bs.

Every class does provide different utility options and tbh EVERY class can heal. Since the most important skill as a healer right now are - healing springs/illustrious heal, combat prayer, Mystic/Energy Orb, Ele Drain and Elemental Blockade (with Lightning Staff) - skills EVERY class has access to. Therefore it simply depends on what kinda things u wanna do as a healer.
    Edited by ExWhizzy on August 3, 2017 9:10PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB healer here... I've got it all, from huge heals (refresh path, healing ward, healing springs, funnel, etc.) , debuff/buffing (WARHORN, MARK, HEMORRHAGE, etc.) What I need advice on is resource return...

is it better to go with orbs or ELEMENTAL DRAIN for providing the group with resources?
    I use both, ele drain is minor magica steal and boss debuff, you want this up all the time, orbs is to feed resources to team.
    Do then needed. Tank has priority.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templars got heavily nurfed (google it..). I am not going into details because I really didn't like the nurf.
    Beside this latest cuts, I think the templar is the only Healer, which can have two considerable Group-HoTs up (Mutagen + Ritual) up all the time and therefore is easier to play but very stationary (Templar house) and definately boring to play (bling-bling healing, keep up Spear-AE, etc), but combined with the strongest healer ultimate. Beside that, Templars have nothing original, no significant CC, they are lazy and every idiot can spot a Templar-healer in any given PvP-situation (bling-bling). Templars are boring in everyway, as all their special goodies were heavily nurfed, changed, or given to other classes.. No class has taken more cuts, just because of a few players, who figured out, how to make out the most of their Templar in PvP..

A DK-Healer (bubble-healer, as one possible spec) can be very entertaining but misses Magicka regen, ..

NB healer - not my favorite but good, depending on player skill.

Imho, if you are more a single-player (opportunist, or casual player), the best, the most-mobile and funniest and strongest-self-defendent healer to play is, definetely, the Pet Sorc! If they can keep their pet up, as THIS is the most common flaw done by wannabe Pet-Healers ;). Fortunately, most players prefer their Templar-Houses and still believe that Templars are too strong, while PvP would be much more difficult, if most healers were sorcerers (waaay better MOBILITY, imba-shields and better regeneration, CC, and a 15K instant attack, which can pop up after every casted heal or absorb shield (frags)..! ;)
    As a Templar, I'd give my right arm and my left leg for a Crystal Fragments mechanic while healing. Fortunately, not many do this, or Sorcerers would be nurfed as strongly as templars have been! That's the ESO balance-understanting of the devs..^^
    Edited by Francescolg on August 6, 2017 3:22PM