Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Houses do not have enough room/allow for enough creativity.

dodgehopper_ESO
dodgehopper_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I designed a Detective Agency theme for my St. Delyn House and it looks pretty good but it is extremely limited. I've got 9 unique outlaw broadsheets, one stamped contract, stacked papers, quill, papers, Desk, chair, chair, cage, bed, divider, map of tamriel, banker, merchant, and a couple of lights and things. It looks pretty good but still seems a little sparse. On the large homes a similar problem exists in that there are plenty of spaces which allow for some creativity at the cost of creating a homey interior. I realize that they wanted to put limits but perhaps the limits are presently too low. I am a subscriber as well. There is also the fact that it might be fun to fill your house with cheese wheels, a current impossibility.
US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
<And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would really like to walk a Developer through the houses just so they can see what I mean about housing. The refining touches are really where housing fails. Small items take up so much space but it is the small items that really give life to a location and make it look cool.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most hilarious thing are the houses loading screens, you can admire these awesome rooms plenty of items... every corner is freaking cluttered... then you go to decorate and boom, a great kick in the nuts.

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Omg yes. So much this. My Autumn's Gate is by no means empty but even with eso+ and a small house there're so many things I'd love to add! Not big ones, just the details. Those details that make my house truly mine. A random bowl of fruits on the desk, forks, spoons and knives on the table along with food, a pile of books(that I had to reduce to like 5 books because no slots left), mushrooms under trees in the yard, berry shrubs to cover all the ground in the yard(separate shrubs are pretty small in eso but in wild nature it's not uncommon for certain berry shrubs to cover hundreds of square metres, making for an amazing berry "carpet". I'd need at least 50 of those alone to cover all the yard!), heck just more books to fill the bookcase(as buggy as it is)...
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few ways they could handle this. Large items could be treated as '1' slot but things like a sheet of paper, a quill, etc could be like .1. I realize they want to create some kind of limit but right now they really are stifling creativity - it isn't a good amount and I think most players agree. Additionally, giving us more space to work with would actually mean more money sinks in game. Imagine trying to make a bookcase filled with books? What on earth were they thinking?
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on July 31, 2017 7:21PM
    <And plenty more>
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With ESO+ you reaching the furnishings cap and still have lots of room?
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

It is because small furnishings take up the same space as large ones. I haven't even collected all of the outlaw broadsheets available yet, but if I did and posted them I'd have to get rid of almost all of my furniture. Its a real shame.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on July 31, 2017 7:29PM
    <And plenty more>
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

It is because small furnishings take up the same space as large ones. I haven't even collected all of the outlaw broadsheets available yet, but if I did and posted them I'd have to get rid of almost all of my furniture. Its a real shame.

What Zos should have done is gave each home a max number of hooks based on home size and of course double tha for ESO+. Then make each furnishing take up x hooks where abnormal chair would be 1 hook. A throne would maybe fill 2 hooks. A large statue or tree might take up 4 or even 8 hooks.

This way it would relate more to the space it would take up.

Of course ones definition for sparse may be different than another's.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yes.

What Zos should have done is gave each home a max number of hooks based on home size and of course double tha for ESO+. Then make each furnishing take up x hooks where abnormal chair would be 1 hook. A throne would maybe fill 2 hooks. A large statue or tree might take up 4 or even 8 hooks.

The great oddity is that if you look at the load screen for St. Delyn's house for instance its actually impossible to put the amount of furniture in your home that they suggest. Clearly they had something artistically different in mind than what the end result was. I think they just need to double what you can place to keep it simple, because I doubt they'll ever complicate it in either decimals like I have suggested, or by creating hooks (which would kill creativity). There's a house a European friend of mine has which is hugely creative. The guy built a durigible with cannons and a landing station. If they put 'hooks' on a house it would ruin what he and many other creative folks have done and kill the spirit of the system I think.
    <And plenty more>
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

The problem is that they didn't allocate space accordingly.

They doubled furnishng limits with each housing tier:

apartment = 100, small house = 200, medium house = 400, large house = 600, manor = 700

The problem is that each tier isn't double the size of the previous tier.

Medium houses are usually 3-4 times bigger than small houses while large houses and manors are 3-4 times bigger than medium houses.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on July 31, 2017 8:34PM
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

The problem is that they didn't allocate space accordingly.

They doubled furnishng limits with each housing tier:

apartment = 100, small house = 200, medium house = 400, large house = 600, manor = 700

The problem is that each tier isn't double the size of the previous tier.

Medium houses are usually 3-4 times bigger than small houses while large houses and manors are 3-4 times bigger than medium houses.

That's exactly it -- they haven't based the number of furnishing slots on the actual size of the house -- they've just made these arbitrary numbers. Best example from my own experience is Twin Arches -- considered a "small" house, but actually as spacious as some of the mediums. Also Amaya Lake Lodge has Really Egregiously low limits for its size. It's actually as big as some of the manor houses....

To the OP -- WONDERFUL IDEA to make a Detective Agency theme! Post pictures please!!
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This one's for you @Proffesseurfreder

[img][/img]Screenshot_20170801_044711_zpsgjuanpus.png

Screenshot_20170801_044720_zpsvolblmtc.png

Screenshot_20170801_044637_zpsxwbi7in9.png

Screenshot_20170801_044647_zpswt5tu3te.png

Screenshot_20170801_044655_zpsdoqslevr.png
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on August 1, 2017 1:44PM
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There's a few minor changes I want to make. I'd rather swap out that stool for an end table but being at the limit the point is moot because I'll want to add more Outlaw broadsheets if I'm able. The desk I do intend to swap out for a Hlaalu style once I get the diagram for it. I might also change those Orcish dividers for the House Dres ones if I get that diagram as well. I kind of like the Orcish ones in there though.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on August 1, 2017 1:52PM
    <And plenty more>
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virtual space is irrelevant.
    The problem is that each furniture item has to be stored in their databases, and all its relevant information, such as:
    1. Item Name
    2. Item Type
    3. Item spacial orientation
    4. Item position
    5. Item bind status (bound or not bound)
    6. Housing Instance associated with Item

Now multiply that, and perhaps many more other data flags by 700, and then again by tens of thousands, and provision for the server to relay all the above information to each connected client on demand, and well...you run into hardware limitations.

Like anything else, server-side data requires storage and relay of information between client and server, and housing increased that requirement by up to 700 fold, presuming each player had a fully-furnished house that was traveled to at least once or twice per day.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very important design concept that is needed for a limited space: density: importance.
    Areas of high value need more density, lower needs to have less. Using the detective example. The work area needs to be very dense. Detectives are normally very work oriented. Bed? Very simple, even if it's fine quality. Not the type to care about a full bedspread and decorative additions. Kitchen will be filled, but likely with low effort breads and limited silverware.

Keep in mind priority of the characters living in a space. Draw attention where it is needed.