The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why aren't event-related items and achievements account-wide?

117Dios
117Dios
✭✭✭
Title.
Event related content and achievements should be obtainable account-wide. There is really no reason for the opposite.

Why would I complete every achievement of an event if I already obtained the costume tied to it and all is left is a title?

Besides that, there is the "lack of time" part of it. No one can really spare the the hours needed to complete it on multiple characters.

While I agree that stuff obtainable though playing, like the titles for completing the faction quests, should be tied to playing, these 1-off events shouldn't function in the same way because the nature is different. I can just make a new character and get the Dominion Hero title, but I can't really do the same with events.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it's just because they don't have account wide achievements in place, maybe a coding issue or too much work to make one type different.

Remember as well that these are being set up as yearly events now. As it seems the Witches Festival will be coming around again and without anything stopping you getting the old achievements (but new items added).
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    117Dios wrote: »
    Why aren't event-related items and achievements account-wide?
    ...maybe... so you can complete them again with an alt next year?
  • Zaindari
    Zaindari
    ✭✭
    I kinda wish that all achievements were account wide. I guess it would look kinda weird in Cyro if im DC and I have Dominion Hero title, but all other achieves I think should be account wide.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you have something to do next year during the event?
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zaindari wrote: »
    I kinda wish that all achievements were account wide. I guess it would look kinda weird in Cyro if im DC and I have Dominion Hero title, but all other achieves I think should be account wide.

You can totally do that, though! Dominion Hero is a PvE achievement that can easily be completed on a DC toon.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I have Dominion Hero title on my old main, who happens to be AD. I don't use it though, Monster Hunter FTW!!
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because only one character earned the title or other achievement.

I've done most of the previous event achievements (not the current ones as I have no interest in PvP) on several of my characters and look forward to doing the content on the others in future years. It would ruin the whole concept of playing multiple characters if only one of them had to do something for all the others to benefit from it.

Some of my characters avoid titles or other achievements because it's not in their nature to do that content. My Imperial templar is a holy paladin style character who has not done any Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood content and it looks like he'll have to avoid a lot of the quests in Morrowind too. I don't want him automatically getting the achievements from those parts of the game just because my Dark Elf assassin nightblade earned them - and I'm not even a roleplayer!
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but then what are your alts going to do?

Like, I have the "Treasure Hunter" (open 1000 chests) on 3 characters so far. And "General Executioner" on 3, with a fourth character missing only a couple.

Once I get all the DLC fishing achievements on my main, I'm going to start working on my next character for the Master Angler achievement.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't get why people want an achievement on every character - surely the whole point of the thing (or any other achivement) is that it is stuff that character has achieved. Don't understand it, sorry.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Medakon
    Medakon
    ✭✭✭
    Just because some people dissagree, or maybe like to farm achviments of different characters, dosnt mean other has to suffer with no account wide achviment system.

Take a look at WoW:

You have a account wide achivment system.

Lets say my main is named "Medakon", and I recive a achivment for doing some random dungeon like Imperial City.

If I now log in on an new alt after this, and open my achivment tab, it says "Character: Medakon completed this 20.07.17".

Now, if I did Imperial City on this new alt character today, it will trigger the achivment again(but for this toon), and say "You completed this 25.07.17"

If I log back to my main Medakon it would say "You completed this 20.07.17", so other characters can't overwrite personal achivment if you know what I mean.

This is how WoW does it, works perfect, its a win win.

This way you still can avoid ur achivment if ur doing roleplay, or want to farm achivments again.
    Medakon - Legendary Super Hero Professional Assassin Nightblade from Tamriel who do different stuff B)
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    I don't get why people want an achievement on every character - surely the whole point of the thing (or any other achivement) is that it is stuff that character has achieved. Don't understand it, sorry.

I think it's mainly a "console" thing. In PC games traditionally everything is done by the characters, but in console games everything is deemed to be done by the player.

Plus in MMOs, of course, some players only create alts in order to fast-track them to the endgame, while others (like you and me by the sound of it) create alts in order to play through the game again with different builds/tactics/roles or simply because we enjoy the whole process and want to do it again. You'll never be able to explain that to someone who wants to hit the level cap in a couple of hours "grind" :smiley: !
  • 117Dios
    117Dios
    ✭✭✭
    People, you are missing the point, mostly roleplayers like me. I am talking just about event-related achievements.

If you make a character that, let's say, is a religious knight, but you made it AFTER this pvp event, wouldn't you want the title Star-made knight? Knowing that you have to wait until next year and no one knows what could happen in a year, wouldn't it be better that these done-and-gone things would be account-wide?
  • ArnoTerranova
    ArnoTerranova
    ✭✭✭
    I wish that all achievements were account wide too :s
    Not only it would truly reflect how people "completed" the game, but also, all players usually have a favorite character, and they would like to get all achievements on their screen for this character.

For instance, my main character is a pve tank, his armor and role is his very nature, so I don't want to respect to clean Maelstrom Arena and pvp achievements for example. Not mentioning the "holiday" event, do it one time is enough, the current system pushes - voluntarily or not - people to get the success with all characters.

I m not sure what the reasons behind this situation. Lack of thinking when coding the game, or too hard to implement?

Fatty White-Claw (lvl 50+) heal trial pve
    Koros Bone-Shield (lvl 50+) tank trial pve
    Koros Lust (lvl 50+) dps pve, pvp
    Seiri (lvl 50+) dps pve
    Wildfire (lvl 50+) dps pvp
    EU-PC - Playing since April 2014. (beta)
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These RP punters would go mad otherwise as they love to repeat the same boring crap over and over on a new character, but remember, its a character not a toon...
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one character earns an achievement that goes account wide, why would you make a second character to years from now if it's just going to be an automatic clone?

In fact, why would you bother to make a 2nd character at all, ever, if it's just going to be a clone.

Everybody wants everything that anyone else has, for free, with no effort, because.

You want account-wide, like in WOW?
    Go play WOW.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • 117Dios
    117Dios
    ✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    If one character earns an achievement that goes account wide, why would you make a second character to years from now if it's just going to be an automatic clone?

In fact, why would you bother to make a 2nd character at all, ever, if it's just going to be a clone.

Everybody wants everything that anyone else has, for free, with no effort, because.

You want account-wide, like in WOW?
    Go play WOW.

Again, someone is overshooting the point. Also, just because every achievement is unlocked, doesn't mean you can't make a different characters. Achievements do not decide what your character is, YOU do. Your first character is a PvE tank and is a Skyrim guard. You got every achievement with him. Now you can't make a Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight that is a Telvanni outcast because you got a "nice job" on another character?
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People, you are missing the point, mostly roleplayers like me. I am talking just about event-related achievements.

If you make a character that, let's say, is a religious knight, but you made it AFTER this pvp event, wouldn't you want the title Star-made knight? Knowing that you have to wait until next year and no one knows what could happen in a year, wouldn't it be better that these done-and-gone things would be account-wide?

To follow this on out why would a religious knight wish to have a title he himself had not earned?

Another post mentioned not wanting to respec a tank to get him the vMA title. Why would you want to put that title on a pure tank?

In yet another post we have "Achievements do not decide what your character is, YOU do."

Exactly and you decide what that character is by the deeds he/she chooses to do. Why give him/her a title not deserved? It isn't who that character is.

The title is simply a way to show others one thing that character did that you feel was worthy of being displayed. I've taken it a bit farther. Each of the characters I play have their own home. They only get to put in achievement furnishings they themselves have earned. For me that meant going back and doing content I had skipped on a few of my characters. I didn't mind though it actually gave me added incentive to repeat that content.

All that aside an MMO survives in part on content being played over and over again. Tying titles to characters is one way to entice people to repeat content so probably this isn't going to be changed.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • 117Dios
    117Dios
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

To follow this on out why would a religious knight wish to have a title he himself had not earned?

Another post mentioned not wanting to respec a tank to get him the vMA title. Why would you want to put that title on a pure tank?

In yet another post we have "Achievements do not decide what your character is, YOU do."

Exactly and you decide what that character is by the deeds he/she chooses to do. Why give him/her a title not deserved? It isn't who that character is.

The title is simply a way to show others one thing that character did that you feel was worthy of being displayed. I've taken it a bit farther. Each of the characters I play have their own home. They only get to put in achievement furnishings they themselves have earned. For me that meant going back and doing content I had skipped on a few of my characters. I didn't mind though it actually gave me added incentive to repeat that content.

All that aside an MMO survives in part on content being played over and over again. Tying titles to characters is one way to entice people to repeat content so probably this isn't going to be changed.

See? That's the point.

You can simply *avoid* using stuff your character has not earned. It is said on the item/memento/costume how to obtain them, so if your character did not get that achievement, you don't use those. It's as simple as that.
    "My character has the Old Orsinium Sentry costume, but he did not obtain it. Therefore I will not put it on until I have obtained it."
    But it can be reversed. Let's take the Star-Made knight title. That title is, lore-wise, reserved to Pelinal. Let's be tolerant and say that every Knight of the Eights uses that title.
    The Knights of the Eights are not warmongering brutes, though, and they don't care about battlegrounds and faction warfare. How do you put it, so, if your character is a Knight of the Eights that protects people from evil, being it a robber or an otherwordly entity?
    You can make it so that he gets his title when he saves Mundus from Molag Bal. Or whatever you want because, again, it is you who decides what is and isn't, what happened and didn't happen.

If your measure is achievements, so be it. Use the stuff only when you get achievements. But why should you bust the fun of someone wanting his, I don't know, Halloween title on his edgy Khajiit Sorcerer.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

See? That's the point.

You can simply *avoid* using stuff your character has not earned. It is said on the item/memento/costume how to obtain them, so if your character did not get that achievement, you don't use those. It's as simple as that.
    "My character has the Old Orsinium Sentry costume, but he did not obtain it. Therefore I will not put it on until I have obtained it."
    But it can be reversed. Let's take the Star-Made knight title. That title is, lore-wise, reserved to Pelinal. Let's be tolerant and say that every Knight of the Eights uses that title.
    The Knights of the Eights are not warmongering brutes, though, and they don't care about battlegrounds and faction warfare. How do you put it, so, if your character is a Knight of the Eights that protects people from evil, being it a robber or an otherwordly entity?
    You can make it so that he gets his title when he saves Mundus from Molag Bal. Or whatever you want because, again, it is you who decides what is and isn't, what happened and didn't happen.

If your measure is achievements, so be it. Use the stuff only when you get achievements. But why should you bust the fun of someone wanting his, I don't know, Halloween title on his edgy Khajiit Sorcerer.

So each time I want to add an item to my home I must first check my journal and see if he has earned it? Same if I want to put on a costume? Of course the compromise would be the ability to goggle account wide achievements on/off.

That aside I still do not know why you would want a title on your character that character didn't earn. Okay I could see one reason and that being role play. If you had a character that was lying about being royalty (as an example) a title might fit with that. Then again the group you role play with really wouldn't need to see the title to get the nuance of your character. Personally I very rarely notice a characters title so doesn't affect me at all. I just do not see other than the role playing why you would even want it. It is basically lying about what your character did.

Also I know why the achievements are character instead of account related. It provides incentive to repeat content and an MMO relies on repeated content to survive. So probably not going to change.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."