The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why is the Stonefire Machinations quest so hard?

AdrienneMorrisa
AdrienneMorrisa
Soul Shriven
I've made it to the point where you're supposed to take out the three named mages, but they pretty much kill me in one hit. The rest of the quests leading up to this were perfectly fine, and then all of a sudden, I can't even damage these guys. I've looked up some other comments, and most people can at least get past these guys and have trouble with the Mane, but I can't even get to that point. I've also tried forming a party, but no matter what I do, the other players are stuck in a different instance from me, and can't help me. Everyone agrees that this quest is way too overpowered from some reason, but I haven't seen any indication that the devs are working to fix the problem. Is there something that I'm missing? Something special that I'm supposed to do?

Best Answer

• AdrienneMorrisa
    AdrienneMorrisa
    Soul Shriven
    Well, I finally beat it. I ended up going around and doing some other things, like other quests, collecting shards, ect. I ended up coming back once I had made it to champion lvl 30, crafted the best gear I could wear, and made some potions and food to increase my health, stamina, and recovery. I also made sure I had skills that had health regeneration on them (I'm a nightblade). Even through all of that, I died once on these guys. However, I think what saved me is that I was able to kill one of them before I went down. And if you revive on the spot instead of going to a wayshrine, any that you kill won't come back.

I was also able to kill the Mane without dying, although it was pretty close. I just focused solely on him and spammed my health stealing abilities until he went down.
    Answer ✓
  • Annwynn_ESO
    Annwynn_ESO
    ✭✭
    I didn't get this part done either, then someone came in who was on the same part of the quest and they died finally. I entered the temple and tried to finish the downstairs part to defeat the Mane but can't stay alive through the fight with his 2 minions. I'm lv 50 with what I that was decent gear and skills but apparently not. I have had no issues with any of the other quests except this line.
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    I'm playing a Templar and this is the first quest I can't figure out how to beat, the three mages. They sap my magika and I'm stuck with stamina, and my health goes down fast. If I can't have someone help me, what can I do?
  • Arizona_Steve
    Arizona_Steve
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had to wait for someone crazy good to come in and get one shot in while they annihilated the three mages. Honestly, dealing with the Mane was a piece of cake compared to this.
    Wannabe Thalmor - Altmer MagSorc
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    Can someone come in to help you? Someone without the quest?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mages pop up in the courtyard outside, right?

Yeah, someone else can help, but they need to be in the right phase, I think.

I know I've hung around and waxed the mages again after the mane fight, so you probably only get locked out on quest turn in.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In answer to your question, this is one of the few times the game will expect you to juggle three champion grade enemies at once, alone. And, these guys do not screw around. If you come in with a shaky build, they'll turn you into paste.