The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Rearming Trap and Minor Force

wesmont65
wesmont65
✭✭
Good morning all,

I've seen several variations regarding Rearming Trap on all stamina classes. I've seen it on the front bar and you've to apply it before all the DOTs of the bow bar, I've seen it on the back bar and you apply it before Hail, Injection, Caltrops and I've seen it also been applied in-between dots, like Hail, Trap, Caltrops, Injection.

Now, Rearming Trap is important because of the Minor Force buff it provides and which has to be always up. My understanding is that Minor Force is up for the whole duration of Trap which is 60 seconds, in that case, is it making any difference where you should have it?

I mean, you can have it on the bow bar, doing a rotation like Hail, Trap, Caltrops, Injection, swap to front bar, do your thing there and when you go back to back bar to reapply your dots, Trap is still on and all skills gets the benefit from it. So it doesn't really matter where you place it in the rotation as long as it's always up.

Am I correct on my assumptions or am I missing something here?
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The duration of which the trap remains on the ground is 60 seconds. When I mob runs over the trap it activates giving you minor force for 7 seconds. Then if you have the "Rearming Trap" morph you will get another 7 seconds. After that the trap will disappear. So if the trap isn´t activated it will last 60 seconds. If it´s activated it will last 14 seconds.
  • wesmont65
    wesmont65
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    The duration of which the trap remains on the ground is 60 seconds. When I mob runs over the trap it activates giving you minor force for 7 seconds. Then if you have the "Rearming Trap" morph you will get another 7 seconds. After that the trap will disappear. So if the trap isn´t activated it will last 60 seconds. If it´s activated it will last 14 seconds.

Thank you very much for the very detailed explanation, in that case it matters a lot where Trap is placed on your rotation, I guess it should be applied before all the dots of the bow bar.
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    wesmont65 wrote: »

Thank you very much for the very detailed explanation, in that case it matters a lot where Trap is placed on your rotation, I guess it should be applied before all the dots of the bow bar.

When maelstrom dw was viable, you'd drop it before endless hail so it would actually trigger right before poison injection. This is because it would be affected by the maelstrom enchant bonus without consuming it, allowing you to buff both trap and injection with a single rapid strikes. Now that a maelstrom rotation can't be sustained properly, it doesn't really matter when you drop it.
    Edited by theamazingx on July 31, 2017 11:17AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really they need to add minor force to the mages guild Rune, it's crazy us magika guys have to have a high cost Stamina skill
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It does a bit more damage if I put it on front bar 2H than the back bar bow. But it fits my rotation better on the back bar.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 3% fighters guild weapon damage passive could also be a factor if your build contains strong spammable skills like surprise attack or rapid strikes. Some of the DOT skills from the bow bar will scale to the damage buff of whichever weapon bar is active, so placing the trap skill on the melee bar may provide a little more DPS, or maybe not, depending on how much time is spent weaving light attacks and spammable skills on that weapon bar.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on July 31, 2017 3:13PM
  • Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep it on front DW bar for the 3% dam buff. It doesn't matter when you put it, cause once you get the buff then endless hail will get it too. I try to spend as much time as possible on front bar, and leave ground aoes like hail and caltrops to the back bar cause they will get my front bar damage when I swap to front.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good morning all,

I've seen several variations regarding Rearming Trap on all stamina classes. I've seen it on the front bar and you've to apply it before all the DOTs of the bow bar, I've seen it on the back bar and you apply it before Hail, Injection, Caltrops and I've seen it also been applied in-between dots, like Hail, Trap, Caltrops, Injection.

Now, Rearming Trap is important because of the Minor Force buff it provides and which has to be always up. My understanding is that Minor Force is up for the whole duration of Trap which is 60 seconds, in that case, is it making any difference where you should have it?

I mean, you can have it on the bow bar, doing a rotation like Hail, Trap, Caltrops, Injection, swap to front bar, do your thing there and when you go back to back bar to reapply your dots, Trap is still on and all skills gets the benefit from it. So it doesn't really matter where you place it in the rotation as long as it's always up.

Personally I put trap on my bow bar, and it is the 3rd skill I use to begin a fight preceeded by hail and caltrops (hail first then caltrops, since hail takes a second to land). Since I start on my bow bar and it's the 3rd skill I use it has an uptime of usually 95% or more on a static dummy. It is a slight dps boost to have it proc early in a fight of course, but even if it was on the other bar it would in a longer fight even out and still be a high uptime, though at the cost of a little bit of dps in the beginning. Afaik the minor force applies concurrently to dots, so even though it does not preempt hail or caltrops they would still be affected by the buff as soon as took takes affect.

I just re-read the second section and it seems like you are of the understanding that it has a 60s duration on the buff, which I'm sure other people have corrected. You would use it in your rotation just like any other dps skill, i.e. every time you go onto that bar to rebuff other dots. Its dps is also nothing to be scoffed at, and a good contributor to your overall damage on a stam build. Magicka builds run it too, at least in some cases, and there its only benefit is the minor force alone, though obviously even there it would still also consistently be rebuffed every time you went to the bar. In most of my builds I rebuff it every 10 seconds, due to Endless Hail determining the length of a rotation as it is the strongest dot in any given stamina build's arsenal, this is also why re-arming trap is the morph of choice as the buff will last twice its normal length (as it rearms another trap) and thus have a higher uptime than if you were to choose the other morph.
    Edited by Saturn on August 1, 2017 12:00AM
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was the duration of the minor force buff changed?

It used to last 8 seconds. So if you placed the trap, it took 1.5s to arm, then you got the 6 second DoT from the trap and 8 seconds of minor force. With rearming, the trap arms again for 1.5s after the DoT runs out, resulting in an actual time of 7.5s of minor force, if the trap is activated directly again (which it should in boss fights). Then you got again a 6 second DoT and 8 seconds minor force.
    Hence, the time of minor force was 15.5 seconds, and the DoT was gone 15 seconds after casting the trap (although the DoT only ticks 12 seconds of that time)
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • wesmont65
    wesmont65
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    Good morning all,

Personally I put trap on my bow bar, and it is the 3rd skill I use to begin a fight preceeded by hail and caltrops (hail first then caltrops, since hail takes a second to land). Since I start on my bow bar and it's the 3rd skill I use it has an uptime of usually 95% or more on a static dummy. It is a slight dps boost to have it proc early in a fight of course, but even if it was on the other bar it would in a longer fight even out and still be a high uptime, though at the cost of a little bit of dps in the beginning. Afaik the minor force applies concurrently to dots, so even though it does not preempt hail or caltrops they would still be affected by the buff as soon as took takes affect.

I just re-read the second section and it seems like you are of the understanding that it has a 60s duration on the buff, which I'm sure other people have corrected. You would use it in your rotation just like any other dps skill, i.e. every time you go onto that bar to rebuff other dots. Its dps is also nothing to be scoffed at, and a good contributor to your overall damage on a stam build. Magicka builds run it too, at least in some cases, and there its only benefit is the minor force alone, though obviously even there it would still also consistently be rebuffed every time you went to the bar. In most of my builds I rebuff it every 10 seconds, due to Endless Hail determining the length of a rotation as it is the strongest dot in any given stamina build's arsenal, this is also why re-arming trap is the morph of choice as the buff will last twice its normal length (as it rearms another trap) and thus have a higher uptime than if you were to choose the other morph.

I am playing my redguard stamdk right now so my front bar does not have Rapid Strikes, it's just Slashes, Claw, Breath and FOO and the bow bar has Hail, Trap, Caltrops, Injection and Armaments. I usually apply Trap after Hail and before Caltrops and Injection but it's an interesting thought to apply it 3rd on the rotation, i have to test it on my dummy.

Yap, my understanding of 60s was wrong, as @Qbiken explained it thoroughly, so basically i need to reapply it every time i swap to my back bar. I know that Hail is the highest dps skill so it has the first priority, it has to be always up, so now if i can get a high uptime of Minor Force too that will be great.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DschiPeunt wrote: »
    Was the duration of the minor force buff changed?

It used to last 8 seconds. So if you placed the trap, it took 1.5s to arm, then you got the 6 second DoT from the trap and 8 seconds of minor force. With rearming, the trap arms again for 1.5s after the DoT runs out, resulting in an actual time of 7.5s of minor force, if the trap is activated directly again (which it should in boss fights). Then you got again a 6 second DoT and 8 seconds minor force.
    Hence, the time of minor force was 15.5 seconds, and the DoT was gone 15 seconds after casting the trap (although the DoT only ticks 12 seconds of that time)

Might have been 8 seconds, not 100% sure (didn´t have the correct tooltip in front of me when I wrote my first comment). But we´re in those areas around 7-8 seconds. Since it takes 1,5 seconds to activate you need to put it down before the previous buff runs out.