Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting fee?

resdayn00
resdayn00
✭✭✭
Hey guys!

Sorry if i'm late to the party, but I didn't find a discussion with this topic in the last few pages.

So my question is:

Should crafters ask for gold when crafting?

When someone crafts, they use up materials - some cheaper, some more expensive. But aside of that, they also spend time with it. The time spent may be low, but may take even an hour if the client is not sure or constantly changes his mind, or just asks questions. Crafters also spend an insane amount of time and dedication to become crafters. Traits need to be researched, nirnhoned or any other 9th trait can be a pain in the ***. Motifs are also very time consuming to farm, or they are very expensive. Take Buoyant Armiger or Mazzatun for example, but there are many more motifs that are just simply rare and hard to get. And I didn't even mention the crown exclusive motifs. Most crafters I've met work for the materials + anywhere from 2k to 5k per piece, depending on many factors.
With all this said and done, is it really that wrong to ask for gold when crafting? I am a crafter. When I craft for someone, I ask for the materials + 2k gold per piece. That 2k is, in my opinion, a way to honor the dedication the crafter has put into the whole thing, stated above. 9/10 people don't make a fuss about it and gladly pay the gold. For friends and some guildmates I don't even ask for the gold just the materials. Today, a guy in Craglorn was looking for a crafter and when I mentioned that I ask for the mats + 2k gold per piece, he started calling me a greedy **** and a poor pleb. Apparently, I shouldn't be asking for gold when crafting, at least according to him. But altogether I've met a few people who complained about this, but again, this is a small minority, most people ARE willing to pay.
I think it's similar to what happens IRL. A lawyer won't work for free even if you supply all the necessary things. Same goes for a mechanic, a builder or just about any other profession. It's just time wasted for them if they don't get money for their work. If you supply the materials for a crafter that simply means they won't have to use THEIR materials that they've gathered.

What are your thoughts on this issue?
If you are a crafter, do you ask for gold? If yes, how much?
If you aren't a crafter, would you be willing to pay for a crafter? If yes, how much?
PC EU - Ebonheart Pact
Resdayn Indoril, Dunmer Magicka Nightblade - Main

Pactum Dunmeri | Ard Feainn | Aetherius Art | Kley Guild

Achievement points: 26k+
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's perfectly reasonable to charge a small crafting fee. It is a service after all. How much would depend on the level of the item crafted, which could be roughly in line with other crafters.

I also think it's nice not to charge guildies, friends and newbies (who have limited gold...although really they should do fine with looted and quest reward gear).
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inside my guild free, outside 5k per piece.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside my guild I do answer calls for crafters, when I feel like it.

This said, and provided the player has all mats and doesn't feel like having to wear some exotic style I do not charge anything.
    When I was leveling I found ppl doing crafting for me and so I return the kindness when I got the time and someone in need.
    ... but I guess thats everyones own choice, and some players do send me a little something anyways others don#t but keep contact.

All fine and good.
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find as long as they provide all the mats for what they want then that's good enough for me.
  • xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    xb1LL_mr_sir_LL
    ✭✭✭
    i used to craft for free but when i started getting 20-30 crafting request a day, it was obvious my kindness was getting
    abused.
    now that i charge 25k to make stuff i get bothered a lot less.
  • Deep_01
    Deep_01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Provide all mats = free service.

Missing any mats = cost of mats (Lowest price I can buy from guild store, no MM price or whatever) + 10% of cost the mat was bought for.
    @Deepan on PC-EU
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i used to craft for free but when i started getting 20-30 crafting request a day, it was obvious my kindness was getting
    abused.
    now that i charge 25k to make stuff i get bothered a lot less.

And by "a lot less" you mean "not at all" right, because that's a ridiculous fee to charge. lol
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't charge, but I don't see any issues with charging.

It annoys me when others feel entitied to something others have and demand it. I see this not just with crafting but with other things ingame too like vampire/werewolf bites.

OP, just ignore those brats, and continue to charge. It's your time and your crafting skills - do what you want with it.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just adding that my 5k charge per piece is not for profit. I keep that fee just to filter out idiots. No haggling allowed. They can always learn nine traits and motifs themselves.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • SoLooney
    SoLooney
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, mats are a bare minimum, Im not gonna farm or shop for mats, waste of my time and usually not worth the gold people give me to buy mats.
    I dont charge friends or guildies, but yea, will charge those random requests.
    and if you request something, be very specific. I hate people that are like i want 7 hundings. trait, weight, style please?
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up to the Crafter. I never charge but I also do not go shopping for mats for people's items to be crafted. If someone supplies ALL the mats I craft it. If they don't supply all the mats, I do not.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For me, if you provide all mats and clearly tell me what you want in a mail, or on voice com I won't charge.

If I have to ask you questions because you didn't give me all the information for the gear, or I had to use my mats to cover some stuff, I'll ask for a fee.

If you don't know what you want and ask me what is the best gear, traits etc... I will not craft for you. I don't have time to be a personal theorycrafter.
    PC/EU DC
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2-2.5K for the work. If they give me the mats.
    I don't do it per piece since it doesn't take any extra effort to click across to make more of the same thing.
    Basically just for my time. Goes up if I have to run around doing different sets or switching characters.

For low level training stuff I typically just have the mats lying around, I save up my writ mats until I am ready to sell it and I always make it in daedric because I have so many daedra hearts. since that takes less mats I am likely to just throw the mats in for that.
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped asking for fees. Noticed that people generally tip more. I also just like to help. I will not let anyone from my guilds tip me though. Don't craft if not given the mats, and only react if someone knows what they want.

Edit: Even though i don't, I think it's entirely ok to ask for a crafting fee. Unlike for vamp and ww bites where I feel like it is a more emotional topic because it showed the ugly side of the ESO community.
    Edited by Insomnia rex on July 31, 2017 8:34AM
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With guildies and friends = Always free if they can provide the mats for it. If someone doesn´t have the required mats for the correct trait I can provide that for free since those are easy to get.

Outside friends and guildies = If people can provide the mats, 2-3k a piece. If they don´t have the mats: 2-3k a piece + the material cost.