The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Half Vampires // Dhampires

ParaNostram
ParaNostram
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I was wondering if anyone has any lore I could read up on regarding these particular and peculiar creatures? I'm considering making a character one in roleplay but I want to make sure I have every piece of available knowledge beforehand so as to ensure I can do this justice. I am aware of the Gray Prince also known as Agronak gro-Malog, and I am aware that his own birth was described as "miraculous" thus confirming the rarity of such creatures, and that these creatures can only be born of a male vampire and a female mortal, but I know little else.

If anyone would like to contribute via comments or links information on this subject, I would be very appreciative.
"Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
Bosmer Sorceress
Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
Order of the Black Worm
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Someone who's father was a vampire is not a vampire, or really any kind of half vampire. Much like any two distinct races of Tamriel breeding together, the child will retain primarily the traits of the mother with few traits from the father. Agronak showed no signs of vampirisum. The only semi vampiric trait that he showed was somewhat pale skin, which could simply have been the result of not being pure orc. As far as we have seen, the biological offspring of a vampire does not retain any vampiric powers.
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    Much like any two distinct races of Tamriel breeding together, the child will retain primarily the traits of the mother with few traits from the father.

While this is the in universe theory, keep in mind we do have Bretons who carry strong trait of both elf and human. While we can say they only have one trait from elf, it is a pretty big trait. And the same argument could be made that the only trait they have from human is the outward appearance. So if we were going to compare vampire children with other races breeding, a Dahmpir would only really need one trait if it was significant enough.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Much like any two distinct races of Tamriel breeding together, the child will retain primarily the traits of the mother with few traits from the father.

While this is the in universe theory, keep in mind we do have Bretons who carry strong trait of both elf and human. While we can say they only have one trait from elf, it is a pretty big trait. And the same argument could be made that the only trait they have from human is the outward appearance. So if we were going to compare vampire children with other races breeding, a Dahmpir would only really need one trait if it was significant enough.

What do you mean? The only notable elven trait that Bretons have is a proclivity towards magic, and that only came form generations of intermingling with elves (both bloodlines and socially).
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭

What do you mean? The only notable elven trait that Bretons have is a proclivity towards magic, and that only came form generations of intermingling with elves (both bloodlines and socially).

That's exactly what I mean. That is a HUGE trait. A trait that big is all you need to have an entirely different race.

It seems beyond that major elvish trait, there are other smaller ones including slight build, with varying degrees of elvish eyebrows, ears and cheeckbones. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Breton
    Edited by Dustfinger81 on July 29, 2017 9:27PM
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's exactly what I mean. That is a HUGE trait. A trait that big is all you need to have an entirely different race.

It seems beyond that major elvish trait, there are other smaller ones including slight build, with varying degrees of elvish eyebrows, ears and cheeckbones. http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Breton

That is the opposite of a huge trait.. it is extremely subtle. Any race can use magic. The fact that Bretons tend to be slightly more adept at it could be partially due to their Aldmeri heritage, but it can be primarily attributed to the fact that they have a society that encourages and embraces magic. Additionally, one's eyebrows and cheekbones are genetic traits that can be inherited regardless of race.

Either way, this is getting off topic. The offspring of a mortal and a vampire does not retain any vampiric powers, and it is illogical that they would. If a vampire's offspring had vampiric powers, they would never age, and thus never develop to be born.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a vampire lady who had a mortal (and vampire hunter) son in original Morrowind? I might be mistaken as I didn't play through any of the vampire quests for that one.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭

That is the opposite of a huge trait.. it is extremely subtle. Any race can use magic. The fact that Bretons tend to be slightly more adept at it could be partially due to their Aldmeri heritage, but it can be primarily attributed to the fact that they have a society that encourages and embraces magic. Additionally, one's eyebrows and cheekbones are genetic traits that can be inherited regardless of race.

If the only traits someone deems important are physical, I would be inclined to disagree. Especially if that trait is enough to qualify and bind a group of people as a different race, albeit, one that decends from two other races. It specifically says the eyebrows, cheeks and ears are evidence of their elvish heritage. So, still genetic but genetic from their elvish heritage.
    Either way, this is getting off topic. The offspring of a mortal and a vampire does not retain any vampiric powers, and it is illogical that they would. If a vampire's offspring had vampiric powers, they would never age, and thus never develop to be born.

Unless immortality wasn't the trait they inherited. Especially if, as the premise goes, they may only get one trait.

• Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No matter how you spin it, Agronak is the only known offspring of a mortal and a vampire, and he showed no sign of vampirisum.

Vampririsum is an affliction, you either have it or you don't. Same as Lycanthropy.
  • ParaNostram
    ParaNostram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No matter how you spin it, Agronak is the only known offspring of a mortal and a vampire, and he showed no sign of vampirisum.

Vampririsum is an affliction, you either have it or you don't. Same as Lycanthropy.

He was stronger than most, though that and the paler skin are the only traits I could find that could be argued as being related to the vampiric nature of the father. However as we have only one account of this we don't have a large enough subject pool to see if children of vampires are stronger than children born of purely mortal couplings.
    Wasn't there a vampire lady who had a mortal (and vampire hunter) son in original Morrowind? I might be mistaken as I didn't play through any of the vampire quests for that one.

There was a descendant of the matron of the Audae Clan. If I am not mistaken, said matron had her children while still mortal as female vampires cannot give birth (their bodied being quite dead and all that).
    "Your mistake is you begged for your life, not for mercy. I will show you there are many fates worse than death."

Para Nostram
    Bosmer Sorceress
    Witch of Evermore

"Death is a privilege that can be denied by it's learned scholars."
    Order of the Black Worm
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    He was stronger than most, though that and the paler skin are the only traits I could find that could be argued as being related to the vampiric nature of the father. However as we have only one account of this we don't have a large enough subject pool to see if children of vampires are stronger than children born of purely mortal couplings.

Exactly.

• notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Breton are a bit of a unique case in tes races. They are the result of very long interbreeding.
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭

Breton are a bit of a unique case in tes races. They are the result of very long interbreeding.

Sure. But we also have to keep in mind that the prevailing in-universe theory has deliberatly little research behind it. So we don't even have a true standard to measure special cases against.

Edited by Dustfinger81 on July 30, 2017 9:13PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Any race can use magic. But the Bretons have an affinity for it like their Elven ancestors.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • TheSwanKing
    TheSwanKing
    ✭✭✭
    Actually with Lycanthropy yoy can have hereditary Lycanthropy if one of your parents is a Lycaanthrope.

There is even a way to cure yourself, if you search a hereditary lycanthrope before your first transformation it transfers I them.

-

I doubt Vampirism is the Same, but you know. Just to clear things up.

PS: Hereditary lycanthropes have no powers.