Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bloodroot Forge: feasibility

RavenSworn
RavenSworn
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi guys! just wanted to know the feasibility of a forge that uses blood, instead of water as a coolant for the hot metal. Just got this idea from watching the dev stream and I kinda wondered if there were any implications or consequences of using blood.
Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Per the quest in Khenarthi's Roost, blood sacrifice can be used to generate and release a lot of energy very quickly - the Maormer were using it to power their storms. There's also a blood-powered forge in Wrothgar, that if I'm remembering right had a Dwemer origin/influence. Given that the Nedes stole Dwemer tech to make the Celestials it makes sense that they used similar tech in other areas. And I seem to recall Daedric equipment requires Daedric blood to forge too. So...it's pretty common in Tamriel. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Per the quest in Khenarthi's Roost, blood sacrifice can be used to generate and release a lot of energy very quickly - the Maormer were using it to power their storms. There's also a blood-powered forge in Wrothgar, that if I'm remembering right had a Dwemer origin/influence. Given that the Nedes stole Dwemer tech to make the Celestials it makes sense that they used similar tech in other areas. And I seem to recall Daedric equipment requires Daedric blood to forge too. So...it's pretty common in Tamriel. :)

No, the only influence on that forge was Orcish and Daedric. The tribe that ran it was dedicated to Maphala.

As for using blood to cool metal, it actually probably has an advantage over water. Blood is thicker than water, much like oil, which would make for a less harsh quench. Not saying I'd recommend blood for smithing, but its probably better than water.
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »

As for using blood to cool metal, it actually probably has an advantage over water. Blood is thicker than water, much like oil, which would make for a less harsh quench. Not saying I'd recommend blood for smithing, but its probably better than water.

After some research it seems neither urine nor blood would allow a blade to temper properly. Even in RL, outside of movies, if/when blood was used for superstitious purposes, only a small amount could have been used.

https://www.scribd.com/document/225255165/Facts-and-Myths-about-Swords-docx

• Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

After some research it seems neither urine nor blood would allow a blade to temper properly. Even in RL, outside of movies, if/when blood was used for superstitious purposes, only a small amount could have been used.

Can't read that document.

Anyway, I don't see why blood wouldn't work. Its not likely the best quenching medium, but it shouldn't be much different than brine (besides the mess of coagulated burnt blood on the blade). Blood is mostly salt water. A quench is about cooling metal quickly so the metal takes on a primarily martensitic structure (as opposed to an austenitic one). With certain metals, this can even be done with just air cooling. Blood should be able to do the job as well as any water based liquid.
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭

Can't read that document.

Anyway, I don't see why blood wouldn't work. Its not likely the best quenching medium, but it shouldn't be much different than brine (besides the mess of coagulated burnt blood on the blade). Blood is mostly salt water. A quench is about cooling metal quickly so the metal takes on a primarily martensitic structure (as opposed to an austenitic one). With certain metals, this can even be done with just air cooling. Blood should be able to do the job as well as any water based liquid.

I was watching Forged in Fire. There was a contestant who was really into Vikings. he stated that legend told that their blacksmiths would put a bit of their own blood in the temper to strengthen the blade. the judges commented that blood would weaken the blade so, admittedly, I already had an idea of what to look for.

Here it is without needing to sign up for anything: www.albion-swords.com/articles/images/sword-myth-quiz.pdf

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Touche. That note does make an interesting point though; If the forge is of Dwemer origin and the hammer wasn't, where did it come from? Was the forge built for the use of the hammer? What did the Dwarves use the forge for? So many possibilities :)
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, it's interesting as it's something that southeast Asian cultures have their keris or kris forged. I remember old tales from my late granddad how he would forge his with both blood and water. It's like a binding contract between blade and owner.

If that is true though, then I would side with @Tyrobag about why blood would work, as oppose to not being able to.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, it's interesting as it's something that southeast Asian cultures have their keris or kris forged. I remember old tales from my late granddad how he would forge his with both blood and water. It's like a binding contract between blade and owner.

If that is true though, then I would side with @Tyrobag about why blood would work, as oppose to not being able to.

Of Wolf and Raven