The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

PC sometimes restarts during the combat.

Daidrion
Daidrion
Soul Shriven
My specs are i7 6700k (OCed to 4.4ghz, CM 612 cooler), MSI Gaming X 1080 (384.94, but happened on previous version too).

It may sound like an overheating problem, but it shouldn't be. I've run some recodings with MSI afterburner and the temps were fine for most of the time (~58 max on the CPU, ~68 max on the GPU). Unfortunately restart corrupts the last data before it happens, so I can't tell exact temps at the point it restarts.

It's also irregular and seems to happen in specific places. For instance I've played for a few hours without a restart, but then I've entered Khartag Point and it restarted twice, I think.

So, what could it be?
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    A weak or dying power supply could also be the cause of this. For instance, sudden surges in power consumption (loading into new area or large amounts of spells) causing your computer to use more energy than your supply can output so it shuts down as a safety feature. But meh I could be wrong, just throwing ideas your way in hopes that it helps.
    Edited by Sunah on July 29, 2017 7:22PM
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be caused by bad RAM or as mentioned it also can be your PSU. How many Watts does your PSU have
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • Daidrion
    Daidrion
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I was thinking about PSU as well since it's not that good (Corsair 550vs). However it should be enough as far as I'm aware. And I didn't have problems with the other games, like Planetside 2 or Doom.

Restarts don't seem to be tied to large scale combat, just combat in general. For instance I could do world bosses with the group just fine, or just fight some mob with random player around. Most of the times it restarts when I'm fighting alone.

So ok, another thing just happened. The PC didn't restart, instead GPU stopped responding and went all loud. I had to force-reboot the PC, but I've got screen artefacts upon loading the system (tried a few times). Turned off the OC, seems like it helped.

Luckily I've recorded the last session as well, so here's the afterburner chart. Could you help me make sense out of it? The GPU just kinda "died" without anything reaching its limits.

Up: the site doesn't seem to allow me to attach the file, so I'll use google drive.https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0VDbMALod0OUlREcmdCcWJOc1U
    Edited by Daidrion on July 29, 2017 8:00PM