The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Player housing, using crowns?

Benie
Benie
✭✭✭
Ok, this definitely has my interest. I've been away from the game for just over a year, and I'm curious about this player housing thing. Is it another DLC, and if so, what is it named?
Or is this part of the Morrowind expansion?

Either way, how does it work? Can you just plop a house down anywhere, or is there a certain zone that I could do it? Please inform me about this quite interesting thing.
--Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • Ruse
    Ruse
    ✭✭✭
    Most houses can be purchased either through crowns or in-game money. You can preview them through the cash shop (without having to buy them for crowns or anything) and they're in fixed locations.
    Travels in Tamriel (screenshots + light RP blog)
    _.._.._.._.._.._.._

Jubilee | warden healer | white orc swamp witch
    Sarielle | templar healer | Imperial good girl

My Skyrim mods:
    Classic | SE
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you have been away for awhile. Homesteading is open to all, no sub or dlc access required.

Start by completing the housing quest "A Friend in Need" that you pick up from a "housing brochure" posted in the bank of any major city.

Once completed, all of the available houses will pop up on your map with a special symbol. There are designated houses...you don't build them. Currently there are about 40 available homes. They range in size and price...apartments are like 30k in game gold, mid sized homes 200-300, and there are mansions for 1 million and manors for 3.

Preview any home by simply traveling to it...no need to go to a wayshrine. No travel fees. You'll teleport to an unowned instance of the home. They can be purchased while previewing the home with either gold, or with crowns. When buying with crowns you may buy the home unfurnished, or pay a little more and get it furnished. The previewed allows you to turn on furnishings, just to get an idea of what the space might look like when decorated.

Once you own a home, it comes with a predetermined number of slots - how many items you can decorate it with. You get twice as many slots with ESO Plus. You can buy furnishing from vendors all over Cyrodiil, or through guild stores, or by collecting recipes and building your own. There's an editor in your home that allows you to rotate and place items however you like.

For now, the homestead game is mostly about aesthetics. There isn't much to do other than decorate them. (Although this can be fun, I'm currently building a pirate ship on my Hundings Palace dock). But I'm sure we will see the function of homes enhanced in future updates.

Have fun!
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds pretty cool. Though I got a 'few' questions;
    -Can friends visit your place?
    -Is your home an instanced cell (like interiors in Skyrim)?
    -Can you fully customize your home (place furniture anywhere), or is it like that expansion from Skyrim that you can build a house?
    -Storage options?
    -Further customization (forge, etc) infront or inside the house?
    -Can you see other players' houses?
    -Is thievery a thing? Picking the lock of people's houses and stealing their goods? And if so, is there a way to prevent this?
    -Does your home have a wayshrine, and can you visit it at anytime for free?
    Edited by Benie on July 28, 2017 1:40AM
    --Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
    Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
    Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer
  • Menegroth
    Menegroth
    ✭✭✭
    Benie wrote: »
    That sounds pretty cool. Though I got a 'few' questions;
    -Can friends visit your place?
    -Is your home an instanced cell (like interiors in Skyrim)?
    -Can you fully customize your home (place furniture anywhere), or is it like that expansion from Skyrim that you can build a house?
    -Storage options?
    -Further customization (forge, etc) infront or inside the house?
    -Can you see other players' houses?
    -Is thievery a thing? Picking the lock of people's houses and stealing their goods? And if so, is there a way to prevent this?
    -Does your home have a wayshrine, and can you visit it at anytime for free?

-Your friends can visit if you let them.
    -It is an instanced cell.
    -You can put your furniture anywhere but there's a limit to how many itenms you can put down. ESO+ members have an increased limit.
    -No storage so far, as fas as I know.
    -You can have crafting stations inside the instance that encompass your home, not outside of the instance.
    -You can see other's people's houses if they let you.
    -No thievery in personal houses as far as I'm aware of.
    -Your house counts as a personal wayshrine, yes. But if you exit your house you'll be ported to where you previously where, not in front of your house.
    Edited by Menegroth on July 28, 2017 7:58AM
    "I see", said the blind man
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Menegroth wrote: »
    -Your house counts as a personal wayshrine, yes. But if you exit your house you'll be ported to where you previously where, not in front of your house.

The rest of your post is good, but this one is incorrect. If you exit a house you own, you're ported to wherever that house is, no matter where you came from originally. So if you port from, say, Bangkorai, to the Mara's Kiss Inn Room in Vulkhel Guard, you end up in Vulkhel Guard. Otherwise, using this as a personal wayshrine as many of us do wouldn't make sense. However, if you port to a friend's house (using their listing on your friends list or guild roster), then yes, after exiting you end up where you were previously, before porting. The same goes if you're only previewing the house, before you buy it. But if you buy it--either with gold or Crowns--exiting it brings you to whatever zone it's placed in.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on July 28, 2017 5:16AM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Menegroth
    Menegroth
    ✭✭✭
    Menegroth wrote: »

The rest of your post is good, but this one is incorrect. If you exit a house you own, you're ported to wherever that house is, no matter where you came from originally. So if you port from, say, Bangkorai, to the Mara's Kiss Inn Room in Vulkhel Guard, you end up in Vulkhel Guard. Otherwise, using this as a personal wayshrine as many of us do wouldn't make sense. However, if you port to a friend's house (using their listing on your friends list or guild roster), then yes, after exiting you end up where you were previously, before porting. The same goes if you're only previewing the house, before you buy it. But if you buy it--either with gold or Crowns--exiting it brings you to whatever zone it's placed in.

I see. Never used my home as a wayshrine since, for me, normal wayshrines are closer to my destinations so I assumed it was still the same as when I was visiting houses. Edited my post.
    "I see", said the blind man