Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Writs...

TomCarterESO
TomCarterESO
✭✭✭
Is it worth doing from low levels such as crafting level 1 (Iron, Rawhide & Jute) ? Or is it best just to keep the mats?
Veteran Rank 16 Dark Elf Templar
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    It will give you some experience and some cash, but personally I have always just leveled up my woodworking/blacksmithing/clothing through deconstruction of materials. I leave the writs for my higher level crafters - they get decent rewards back, including "intricate" items which can be placed in the bank and used for deconstruction by those alts who are still leveling up. Helps those alts move up the ladder much more quickly.

Over all, crafting is mostly just for some daily income for me. Current "BiS" gear is dropped from dungeons for the most part (though that can always change with the Flavor of the Month builds that emerge after every major patch update), but the income and materials that come from writ rewards keep me logging in on every character every day just to keep the flow going.

When you're first starting out in the game, crafting isn't really as essential. The higher level your characters are and the higher their trade skills are, the easier it will get. My advice would be to just make sure you're ALWAYS researching traits in every available profession, but the writs themselves aren't really must-do things until later on.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what voodoo says, but they're speaking from the perspective of someone who does multiple writs on multiple characters. When you have several master crafters it provides ways to quickly level lowbies and bypass lower tier writs.

However, if you're speaking as a newer player or someone who doesn't run a ton of toons, the bottom line is that lower level writs are generally profitable. The drawback is that lower tier mats are generally rarer in guild stores than they used to be, so you might have to earn the mats yourself. Of course, you might have piles of these mats from adventuring at lower levels. If this is the case, yes, burn them...once you outlevel them they're essentially garbage.

If you do end up buying them because you don't earn enough playing, FYI my general rule was always that the "break even point" is about $6000 / 200, meaning that if you spend $6k on a pile of jute, those mats will fill enough writs to earn about $6k in gold from the quest turn ins. Thus you wouldn't be earning or losing gold, but you'd still be getting the other rewards.

Are the other rewards worth it? What you'll get of note are:

Surveys: these give you a source of raw mats, which of course return a lot more than just the refined material for that items. Raw mats are also VERY valuable in guild stores if you need some cash.

Gold mats: collecting these early on is a good idea. Some day you'll want gold armor, and a set will eat up 70+. You'll earn these both directly, but also from refining the raw mats you collect from surveys. These can also provide a decent income if you sell them off in guild stores.

Provisioning: note that these give a recipe each turn in, and about 1 in 15 is a purple recipe. Because few people provision at lower levels, the lower level purple recipes are extremely rare and sell for 20-40k in guild stores. I have two low level mule alts sitting in greenshade and malabal tor doing low level consumables writs just to collect these.

Over time writs will make you wealthy, even at lower levels.