Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Couple questions from a new player

OpOmen
OpOmen
Soul Shriven
Hello just recently got into ESO.
I'm level 10 so far and am very bored. I've just been running from quest marker to quest marker.

1. When does the fun stuff start? I know I can do dungeons and PvP now but I feel like I'd get wrecked at level 10.

2. Am I missing out if I don't do my alliance's questline? I've lost interest in it. I'm thinking about just getting all the skyshards and never visiting some areas again.

3. What kind of stuff do you recommend a new player do?

ESO looked very fun before I bought it and I'm disappointed in it, at least for right now. Hopefully it'll change

Best Answers

• Joshfight00
    PvP.. it takes a while to master. I recommend joining a campaign for under level 50, it will be more fun for you. Type LFG into chat. Once you have entered Cyrodiil.

Dungeons, start them as soon as you can via activity finder, but be wary, the other players might not be very good either.

In any case I recommend joining a guild aligned with your goals, and they can help you lots.

What platform and server are you on?

I am XB1 NA server.
    XB1 NA - GT: Another Cadaver

Join us on BAND
    Guild Master [Skyrim Rebels]
    Answer ✓
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did a lot of questing when I first started ESO. That was fun for me. Other people think PvP is more fun. It just depends on your tastes. PvP might be a bit difficult on a horse that goes super slowly because you're a new player, though. If you start PvP, you get two skillpoints for going through basic training in Cyrodiil, plus you get a skill that can allow your horse to run faster. Really, I recommend going through basic Alliance War training even if you never plan to PvP, just for those skill points and the skill.

Edited by SydneyGrey on July 26, 2017 7:20AM
    Answer ✓
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For pvp you can do it from level 10 however you should be aware of your limitations, stay in group, hang back help with siege or support, only do some sniping or AoE,
    And get some crafted gear for PvP.

Dungeons: don't do random normals if you have dlc or eso+, you have an high chance of the dlc ones who is not for low level players. Start at top and work you way down. Without dlc or eso+ random works well.

The alliance questline give some skillpoints
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Answer ✓
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely try to get into a few player guilds. It's an mmo. The experience is often more rewarding with others. Some may be happy to quest with you or do PvP/dungeons with you. Do you get bored playing 1 player rpgs? Cause that's basically running from quest to quest too. Maybe take your time to really appreciate the unfolding story.
  • Rahotu
    Rahotu
    ✭✭✭
    by bored do you mean the way the game plays out for you is boring? or are you struggling to move ahead because the game is a bit new and difficult? if the former then it won't change one iota by levelling,the game is the game,if the latter take all the advice you get here
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OpOmen wrote: »
    I'm level 10 so far and am very bored. I've just been running from quest marker to quest marker.

If that is boring, this may not be the game for you.
    1. When does the fun stuff start? I know I can do dungeons and PvP now but I feel like I'd get wrecked at level 10.

The short answer to "when does the fun stuff start" is "whenever you start having fun with the stuff"

no matter how good you are, you will always "get wrecked" by someone. If you have to "win" to have fun...well that could be the problem
    3. Am I missing out if I don't do my alliance's questline? I've lost interest in it. I'm thinking about just getting all the skyshards and never visiting some areas again.

Yes you are missing out; the main questline (and one from each alliance can be done; so there are three, not just one) is a good source of skill points, lore and info. Again, if you aren't interested, then don't do it, and just accept that you miss those skill points.
    4. What kind of stuff do you recommend a new player do?

Explore.
    Fish.
    Ask random people for duels - ask friends if they will duel "slowly" so you can practice for PvP.
    "Listen" in chat and join in to whatever's going on (trial, daily, whatever)
    Tag along with a dolmen or world boss group
    Do the dailies in your zone (if I'm pressed for time I do the Gold Coast ones; they are pretty fast)
    Steal - run - get caught - pay my bounty - steal some more - find a thieves outpost - launder cool stuff - sell the rest
    Do an undaunted daily, Skype-ing with friends and gossip while killin' bad guys
    Wander around in craglorn and try to find nirn-anything; pray to RNGjezuz for blessings; have to listen to a friend of mine who has ungodly luck (blessed by Akatosh, I'm telling you)
    Look for mage guide books
    Wander around in IC, do the "rescue refugees" daily (it's my favorite one)
    Follow a treasure map
    Wander around to random guild traders and "window shop"
    re-name my mounts and non-combat pets
    do housing stuff (mostly the stuff I can get for free/cheap/found)
    Tinker with the dye jobs on armor/costumes
    compliment random people
    Answer a question in chat or Ask a question in chat
    Send someone a fish (aka "small chance/ticket in the Perfect Roe lottery")

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Rahotu
    Rahotu
    ✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

If that is boring, this may not be the game for you.

The short answer to "when does the fun stuff start" is "whenever you start having fun with the stuff"

no matter how good you are, you will always "get wrecked" by someone. If you have to "win" to have fun...well that could be the problem
    3. Am I missing out if I don't do my alliance's questline? I've lost interest in it. I'm thinking about just getting all the skyshards and never visiting some areas again.

Yes you are missing out; the main questline (and one from each alliance can be done; so there are three, not just one) is a good source of skill points, lore and info. Again, if you aren't interested, then don't do it, and just accept that you miss those skill points.
    4. What kind of stuff do you recommend a new player do?

Explore.
    Fish.
    Ask random people for duels - ask friends if they will duel "slowly" so you can practice for PvP.
    "Listen" in chat and join in to whatever's going on (trial, daily, whatever)
    Tag along with a dolmen or world boss group
    Do the dailies in your zone (if I'm pressed for time I do the Gold Coast ones; they are pretty fast)
    Steal - run - get caught - pay my bounty - steal some more - find a thieves outpost - launder cool stuff - sell the rest
    Do an undaunted daily, Skype-ing with friends and gossip while killin' bad guys
    Wander around in craglorn and try to find nirn-anything; pray to RNGjezuz for blessings; have to listen to a friend of mine who has ungodly luck (blessed by Akatosh, I'm telling you)
    Look for mage guide books
    Wander around in IC, do the "rescue refugees" daily (it's my favorite one)
    Follow a treasure map
    Wander around to random guild traders and "window shop"
    re-name my mounts and non-combat pets
    do housing stuff (mostly the stuff I can get for free/cheap/found)
    Tinker with the dye jobs on armor/costumes
    compliment random people
    Answer a question in chat or Ask a question in chat
    Send someone a fish (aka "small chance/ticket in the Perfect Roe lottery")

good grief,i just read that list and now I'M bored :(
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rahotu wrote: »
    good grief,i just read that list and now I'M bored :(

Still waiting for your suggestions!

;)
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis