Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Only one Mane in existence? *Moonhallowed spoilers*

AdrienneMorrisa
AdrienneMorrisa
Soul Shriven
So I've looked up Khajiit lore before, and heard the story about how there's only one Mane at a time, and some believe that it's the same Mane being reborn. However, I just recently completed the Moonhallowed quest where the Dark Mane possesses Akkhuz-ri, and you must choose either Khali or Shazah to be the new Mane. So, I chose to let Akkhuz-ri live. If he was the Mane, and there's only supposed to be one Mane alive at a time... How is it that Khali and Shazah were adults and were able to take up the mantle so soon after Akkhuz-ri stepped down? Is it just nothing more than a rumor that there can only be one Mane in existence? Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Best Answers

• Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So I've looked up Khajiit lore before, and heard the story about how there's only one Mane at a time, and some believe that it's the same Mane being reborn. However, I just recently completed the Moonhallowed quest where the Dark Mane possesses Akkhuz-ri, and you must choose either Khali or Shazah to be the new Mane. So, I chose to let Akkhuz-ri live. If he was the Mane, and there's only supposed to be one Mane alive at a time... How is it that Khali and Shazah were adults and were able to take up the mantle so soon after Akkhuz-ri stepped down? Is it just nothing more than a rumor that there can only be one Mane in existence? Or am I just misunderstanding something?

Well, there can politically only be one Mane at a time, so the statement is still accurate. Neither of the Lunar Champions were the Mane until they were appointed so. Akkhuz-ri was no longer the mane at this point, so the title was open. Its the same as how there is only one Emperor, or one High King of Skyrim, or one Silvenar. Only one person can rule at at time, and the title belongs to that person.
    Answer ✓
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mane is a special Khajiit who is born during a Lunar Alignment, which is apparently a Rare occurrence. Khali and Shazah however were born as Twins during this period, making both of them suitable to be The Mane, but Khajiiti tradition holds only one can assume the Mantle, so there had to be a choice between them.

Really it's pretty simple. Whoever is born during the time when Masser and Secunda are aligned will become the new Mane.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Answer ✓
  • AdrienneMorrisa
    AdrienneMorrisa
    Soul Shriven
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    The Mane is a special Khajiit who is born during a Lunar Alignment, which is apparently a Rare occurrence. Khali and Shazah however were born as Twins during this period, making both of them suitable to be The Mane, but Khajiiti tradition holds only one can assume the Mantle, so there had to be a choice between them.

Really it's pretty simple. Whoever is born during the time when Masser and Secunda are aligned will become the new Mane.

I guess I was getting confused by the wording. Every video that I watched made it seem like only one who was born under the aligned moons could be alive at one time, not that there can only be one leader. Especially when they said that "some believe that it's the same Mane who is reborn."
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I was getting confused by the wording. Every video that I watched made it seem like only one who was born under the aligned moons could be alive at one time, not that there can only be one leader. Especially when they said that "some believe that it's the same Mane who is reborn."

I think the reincarnation thing is just legend or superstition meant to put even more divine importance behind the title.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its possible the lore is purposely misleading. Meant to leave the reader believing that the Mane is much more mysterious than they really are. Where as the storyline of Reapers March grounds it and reveals how the Mane can be corrupted and how the process to choose a new Mane is mystical but not some sort of Dali Lama sort of deal.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Muramasa89
    Muramasa89
    ✭✭✭
    The Mane thing always reminds me of Durin the Deathless from LOTR. Wherein the Durins that followed the first weren't literal reincarnations but more so in spirit.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it's one of those things where tradition and belief sometimes gets confused with facts. There can be only 1 Mane at any time, but that doesn't mean there is only 1 individual who is eligible to become the new Mane.

Although having said that I doubt there would ever be many candidates either because lunar alignments don't happen often.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I suspect it's one of those things where tradition and belief sometimes gets confused with facts. There can be only 1 Mane at any time, but that doesn't mean there is only 1 individual who is eligible to become the new Mane.

Although having said that I doubt there would ever be many candidates either because lunar alignments don't happen often.
    Yes had not one of the twins been killed he would carry on, but might become mane later if his sister died.
    It might even be more than the two we met but they are to young to qualify.

Pretty much like an kingdom but here you are not from a family but the time of birth. But the mane title also has an qualification trial so an kid could hardly become mane.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • AdrienneMorrisa
    AdrienneMorrisa
    Soul Shriven
    Ok, so I am rewatching one of the videos about Khajiit lore that I mentioned before. The way the person says it is "There can be only one Mane -alive- at a time." That's the wording that was confusing me. I guess I was thinking of it like being Mane is not only a title, but also the breed of Khajiit, like the Senche versus the Suthay.
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, so I am rewatching one of the videos about Khajiit lore that I mentioned before. The way the person says it is "There can be only one Mane -alive- at a time." That's the wording that was confusing me. I guess I was thinking of it like being Mane is not only a title, but also the breed of Khajiit, like the Senche versus the Suthay.

Don't watch videos to learn about lore, you cant trust that crap. If you want information on TES lore go to the UESP Wiki: en.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Yes had not one of the twins been killed he would carry on, but might become mane later if his sister died.

Who's he?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Who's he?
    Forgot both was ladies.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr Rexx? I mean, he's good for some stuff, but he's not infallible. Yeah, use UESP to learn.