Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Free skill reset - Undone?

Lenox
Lenox
✭✭
The last time I played was May 6, 2017. When I logged in about a month later, perhaps after the Morrowind expansion/patch dropped, my skills were reset for free. OK, cool. Now I logged in and they're back to how they were. What happened to my free skill reset?
Nord TankCro
Redguard StamCro
Orc StamKnight
Khajiit MagBlade
Argonian HealPlar
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly there wasn't a free skill reset after Morrowind. Some specific skills were refunded because they were significantly changed, but they didn't complete reset anyone's builds. I think they stopped doing that because so many people complained that they wanted to keep the exact same build they had before but couldn't remember what that was to put it back.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.. the game msg said "your skills were reset". The reality was, it was only certain skills.. They offered 1g per SP resets for ONLY a week after Morrowind dropped.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're saying you reset them then the randomly reallocated back to a former config...that's weird. That's a tech issue, can't help you.

If you're asking about the update 14 skill resets, they're still available. They don't always do a forced skill reset...those of us with 12+ vets find it ultra annoying to come in to have 2,000 skill points refunded, lol.

In update 14 they did a forced champion point reset because the trees changed so much. CPs were automatically reset for each character.

For skills, they reduced the cost to $1 per point at the shrines in the capital cities. To get this, you have to manually go reset them. They don't always advertise skill point reset "sales" very well. Usually they've offered this at each major update (update 12, 13, 14, etc), so it's a good idea to check after an update with a huge download. The sale stays in effect until the next incremental update (when 14 is updated to 14.1). This is usually a couple of months, but it's unpredictable.

The sale is still in effect 7/08. I see a big patch on 7/12 for PS4...this might be when the prices revert to normal.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Morrowind it was CP that was automatically reset :)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Lenox
    Lenox
    ✭✭
    Hmm. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember seeing ALL of my skills reset. Even two-handed sword stuff. Now I have 0 points free. Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

I assume Update 14 is the Morrowind patch?

What is CP? I Googled it and still don't understand.

Also, what are vets? 12+ vets?
    Nord TankCro
    Redguard StamCro
    Orc StamKnight
    Khajiit MagBlade
    Argonian HealPlar
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lenox wrote: »
    Hmm. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I remember seeing ALL of my skills reset. Even two-handed sword stuff. Now I have 0 points free. Oh well. Thanks for the replies.

I assume Update 14 is the Morrowind patch?

What is CP? I Googled it and still don't understand.

Also, what are vets? 12+ vets?

Upadte 14 was the morrowind patch.

CP = Champion points. It's the type of levelling system you start once you have your first level 50 character.

Vet = level 50 character (used to have VR1, VR2 etc. after level 50, which were called veteran ranks)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • VoodooPlatypus
    VoodooPlatypus
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lenox

There have been two times I can recall all SKILL POINTS being refunded after a big patch. The latter of the two was with the release of One Tamriel. When I recently logged in to the NA server (I play on EU now), all of my characters there had been reset to 0 with X number of points available to spend on skills/morphs. It was kinda nice, actually, but the main thing it told me is how long it's been since I logged on to that server :lol:

When Morrowind (Update 14) launched, champion points (CP) were reset because of the massive changes that had been made to the CP system. A number of skill lines had a few changes done to them, but I don't recall actually having any skill point refunded on my characters - I did a nearly-free skill reset on almost all of my characters after reallocating my CP though, so I can't be sure on that.

The 1g/point cost at the shrine to reset, as @MissBizz mentioned above, is supposed to stay in effect until the "first incremental patch" after Morrowind. An earlier announcement about the maintenance seemed to indicate that it would be happening this week, but the forums haven't been griping about it, so it may still be in effect (and super cheap) for another week or two - hard to say. I'm making use of the reduced cost to level some morphs I don't usually use just in case I ever want to swap things up and play a different way.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By the way, there's been a few times that message has popped up on screen but our points didn't actually get refunded. And the maintenance for console is happening right now