Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Has there been a change to the rate skills level on a new character?

Wolfenbelle
Wolfenbelle
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been in ESO continuously since pre-launch in 2014, but last leveled a character about two years ago. Recently I started a warden (magicka), took her through the Coldharbour starter quest, then the Morrowind/Vvardenfell starter island, then some quests in Vvardenfell, all of Kenarthi's Roost, about 3/4ths of Auridon, several of the main story quests and guild quests.

I do all quests, delves, world bosses, etc. Don't skip anything. So the character is now at level 26, but I've noticed that the skills are leveling extremely slowly. I mean like glacially slow. This is very different from what it was like leveling a character between 2014 and 2015. The slowness is making it difficult for me to swap out leveled skills to begin leveling others. I don't have a single skill completely at a morphed level IV, and most are not even morphed but are still sitting at level I or II. The overall skill lines are progressing nicely at about the same rate as the character, but the individual skills are stuck at low levels.

I try to use every skill on my two bars and, of course, have low-level skills on the bar when turning in quests. I've been buffing my XP with the crown XP scrolls, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Does anyone know if there has there been a change to the rate at which skills level in the last couple of years? Or could this be some kind of bug or glitch?
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most morphs do level very slowly, at level 26 you will not have any maxed out.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply, DRXHarbinger. Both the unmorphed class skills and the morphed ones are leveling extremely slowly. The skills for my destro and resto staffs are leveling at a more "normal" rate -- at least as I recall the rate from a couple of years ago. The rate at which my warden's skills level just seems severely slow.
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your reply, DRXHarbinger. Both the unmorphed class skills and the morphed ones are leveling extremely slowly. The skills for my destro and resto staffs are leveling at a more "normal" rate -- at least as I recall the rate from a couple of years ago. The rate at which my warden's skills level just seems severely slow.

There have always been some skills that level slower than others. Likely you picked these unknowingly out of the Warden lines.

One key thing to note is they redid the 1-50 experience curve - levels 1-25ish require less experience than they used to, 25-50ish, more.