Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

[request] Alchemy writs - a bit of variation please?

maboleth
maboleth
✭✭✭✭✭
I almost always get 'Collect 3 Nirnroot', as one of the requirements. Why not including more variation? Like every other alchemy ingredient from time to time?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting your character to end game with combat skills takes some effort and dedication.

End game crafting is the same ... it shouldn't be easy mode.

It's only three (3) nirnroot per writ and it's not an every day occurrence (sometimes writs call for solvents instead of nirnroot).

Nirnroot is for sale at the guild traders ... and also has a chance to drop in the Tel Var bags in your Imperial City sewers Alliance home base.

Of course, that's if you don't have the 5 minutes it takes to farm three (3) in the wild that day.

TL;DR - It's an intended mechanic.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on July 7, 2017 2:55AM
  • TARAFRAKA
    TARAFRAKA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He didnt said he didnt have nirnroot. He simply asked for a variety of items required to craft the writ.
    Personally I dont care one way or another, just clarifying what OP said.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    maboleth wrote: »
    I almost always get 'Collect 3 Nirnroot', as one of the requirements. Why not including more variation? Like every other alchemy ingredient from time to time?

well, here is the rub... if you are not after master writs you can drop to tier-1 get most the same benefits including gold and get variety.

its only the latter tiers iirc that are focused on nirnroot 3/4 times.

so, its your choice - seek easy master writs and get nirnroot as a slight pressure that you have to overcome OR get no easy master writs and have alchemy writs basically be free bonuses at tier-1.

key is, they are still one of the best most profitable top tier writs going. same at tier-1.

So, yeah, maybe folks would be happier if the only aspect of top tier alchemy writs requiring the slightest bit if effort (nirn rates) went away so they were all gravy and cookies... but hey, why not at the same time ask for just triple the gains?

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every other Tier of Alchemy Writ asks for a variety of Reagents. Only the top tier asks for one. This can not be intended.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Every other Tier of Alchemy Writ asks for a variety of Reagents. Only the top tier asks for one. This can not be intended.

And one that no Alchemy Survey will ever help replenish...
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

That's interesting! I either get Lorkan's tears or Nirnroot.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah i remember having to track down all sorts of mats for the other levels of mats.
    I swear this didn't start until homestead (or did I only just max writ then?)

I am basically an alchemy mat farmer anyway so I don't have any trouble keeping up, I'd honestly just like some of my other mats to be worth more so I can sell them and nirn not 200g each for no alchemical reason.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    Yeah i remember having to track down all sorts of mats for the other levels of mats.
    I swear this didn't start until homestead (or did I only just max writ then?)

I am basically an alchemy mat farmer anyway so I don't have any trouble keeping up, I'd honestly just like some of my other mats to be worth more so I can sell them and nirn not 200g each for no alchemical reason.

No it was going on before homestead.

Basically at all but the top tier, it can seek other mats for the trip... you can lose wormwood or mountain or basically most anything... almost all of which are more useful than nirnroot.

So in one regard it is nice that a less useful mat is targetted.

That nay have been a root cause, dont know.

But as it did not really mattervwhich writ tier for alchey you did before master writs (not like the waters gained/used by writs mattered) it was not as broad an issue.

Now, for someone who wants to do the master writ lottery, you have a slight time/effort nirnroot thing IF your ratio of top tier alchey master writ chasers to your lower tier simpler alchey gold/reagent chasers exceeds your playstyle nirnroot supply

It creates a choice, a trade off and a not all the best for nothing decision to be made.

Obviously many many would be happier if that trade off were replaced with something that removed all the noticable downsides for top tier gains.

Odds are it will eventually occur too since so many seem to view getting all for no tough choice as a "better" game.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."