The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Desktop background

Nordic_Pirate
Nordic_Pirate
✭✭✭✭
Hey gang,

kind of a unique thought that I'm not even sure is possible. I'd like to get a "group photo" of all of my characters together in some backdrop that hasn't been chosen yet. I'd obviously have to take the pictures at the same time of the day, etc...

Are there any programs that would make this easier to do? Is this even possible? Is there an easier way than overlaying 8 photos?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nordic.
Yes, I do heartily repent. I repent I had not done more mischief; and that we did not cut the throats of them that took us, and I am extremely sorry that you aren't hanged as well as we.

— Anonymous pirate, asked on the gallows if he repented.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photoshop is how I did mine, it's not perfect but kind of works.

If you can get 8 images in the same area which kind of work I should be able to do something amateur for you.
    Just put them all on top of one another and then use transparency to line them up and erase areas of the layers above to show the characters.

These were my two character next to each other.
    7ivHbvf.jpg
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nordic_Pirate
    Nordic_Pirate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

If you can get 8 images in the same area which kind of work I should be able to do something amateur for you.
    Just put them all on top of one another and then use transparency to line them up and erase areas of the layers above to show the characters.

7ivHbvf.jpg

Awesome, that is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I do not have photoshop, but I might be able to find something that I can mess with.

Btw, grats on your "promotion" to Community Ambassador!
    Yes, I do heartily repent. I repent I had not done more mischief; and that we did not cut the throats of them that took us, and I am extremely sorry that you aren't hanged as well as we.

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

7ivHbvf.jpg

Awesome, that is what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I do not have photoshop, but I might be able to find something that I can mess with.

Btw, grats on your "promotion" to Community Ambassador!
    Thank you. :)

There are other programs which should have layers as well GIMP is considered the alternative for Photoshop and is free to download.

Screenshot taking wise try and find somewhere with a nice background you want but something like a wall you can line up against and thus have markers for where each character has to stand.

If you can get a friend to take the screenshots you'll get even better results, mine is slightly twisted because of the camera zooming over shoulder rather than straight in.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: I did it the hard way - overlaying :)

Just dropping in to say how I got a group photo of my characters in another game!

I'm using a very old version of Paint Shop Pro (Jasc) but there are many modern utilities for picture manipulation - including some that are free to download and use.

Here is what I did;

To get the images needed

With game in windowed full screen and art package open for easy switching between them:
    1. Find an area accessible to all characters - preferably somewhere well lit with a neutral background that, if possible, has a low amount of colour variance
    2. Mouse zoom to see as if looking through character eyes and capture the background (screenshot) - this is not necessarilly to be the background for group photo
    3. Line up (each in turn) character too the chosen background area - I made a 'jig' that I taped to my monitor to help with alignment of characters
    4. Screenshot at least three times - so I could pick best shot later
    5. Paste each screenshot into art package and save the image

To get the background for group photo:

In [2] above I got a 'working' background to play with. The background you want to use for the group photo can be got in the same way and can be any scene from game!

Putting it all together;
    1. Take a good look at the character images and choose the best image of each character - I took one character image as the 'main' and compared the images of other characters for matching purposes - wanted best lighting and sizing match
    2. With each selected character image I cut out the character as tidely as possible - PSP(Jasc) took ages as I kept zooming and cutting bits away to get best overall character image neatness - other programs are able to cut out characters very quickly and easily
    3. Save work as going along - save each individual character by name for ease of use
    4. Cut each seperated and neatened character from image and paste to new image with a blank background - I made a too large new image with a single colour background (green) - essentially I was kind of 'green screening' charaters into background
    5. MUST NOTE HERE - I was using transparencies - the green being the colour to be transparent (choose a colour that will not conflict with same colour in character image)
    6. Open up the background image you want to use
    7. Cut character from it's own image - remember to set up transparency if needed
    8. Paste character image as transparency into background image
    9. (layers can come into this but I'm just giving as easy a description I can from memory)

This looks like a lot of work and it can be! The results on first, second ... tenth attempt can be somewhat lacking. With practice though a good result can be had.

Sorry I do not have any of those opld images left to show as example. And I'm sure there will be faster / better ways to get what you want. Also, I'm sure others can give better descriptions - I'm writing from memory!

Regards.

Edit: cleaned up a bit.
    Edited by Night_Watch on June 7, 2017 11:47PM
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭

7ivHbvf.jpg

Yeah! That's it - I cut each character out and pasted on a background though. :)
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

• Nordic_Pirate
    Nordic_Pirate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edit: I did it the hard way - overlaying :)

Just dropping in to say how I got a group photo of my characters in another game!

Thanks a ton for that, I may need to sit down and take the time to do this way as well. Looks like the one thing everyone agrees with is a neutral background, I'd really like to have it with my EP Chateau in the background, I think that'd be legit...but with the rolling smoke, near impossible I bet. Lots to consider, thank you!

Cheers,

Nordic

• Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a ton for that, I may need to sit down and take the time to do this way as well. Looks like the one thing everyone agrees with is a neutral background, I'd really like to have it with my EP Chateau in the background, I think that'd be legit...but with the rolling smoke, near impossible I bet. Lots to consider, thank you!

Cheers,

Nordic

Hope you can get a good result. It can take a little while and a lot of work to get just the right image but worth it in the end.

Regards :)

• Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GIMP is free and very powerful. Lot's of tutorial videos around as well. I guess you could do that nicely with layers for the characters. I don't play around enough, I have to re-learn every time I want to do something.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the screenshots Ive taken over the years, only four have I ever used for desktop wallpaper.
    Screenshot_20160218_181606.png
    Screenshot_20160517_174920.png
    Screenshot_20160517_175132.png
    Screenshot_20160620_020622.png
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wanting to do that for months, but I've been too lazy to begin it. I have GIMP and Corel Paint Shop Pro, and I recommend both of them.
    One of these days I'll get around to finally doing it.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try LunaPic Free Online Photo Editor, it also can mix 2 or more photos with soft borders and plenty other effects.

And this is my latest desktop background :)
    hBhouyT.jpg
    Edited by Gargath on June 20, 2017 10:10PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Nordic_Pirate
    Nordic_Pirate
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those are some awesome screenshots!!

• Geroken777
    Geroken777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screenshots? Pfft, here is mine currently:

It's homemade :smile:

20170604225135_1.jpg

The self-righteous shall choke on their sanctimony.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the backdrop is an in game location you can take the pictures then use free online photo stitching to create something like this

bsydUav.png

3 of my characters I made for a sig
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol