The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ancient Knowledge passive not giving full effect.

colexxtrain
colexxtrain
✭✭✭
so i had an idea for a build that i would use ma bow on one bar and a lightning stave on the other making the maelstrom enchanted endless hail hit for 8% harder. didnt seem to take effect thats when i started trying other skills that were ground aoes. i used eruption with my lvl 1 fire staff no enchant ticks for 130 when i bar swap to my lightning stave lvl 1 no enchant 139. 8% of 130 is 10.4 which means for it to hit for the correct amount the tool tip says it would hit for 140.4 rounded down would be 140.also tested some other abilitys. lightning wall of elements ticks for 170 on lightning bar and 150. also tried fire rune lightning 804 fire 748 x .08 = 59.84 + 748 = 807.84.
Coletank- PC/NA GM of No brakes
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What were you trying it on? Perhaps that 1 damage (139 vs 140) was due to resistances of the target?
    Kiss the chaos.
  • seedubsrun
    seedubsrun
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have to have a destruction staff ability equipped to get the benefits of the Ancient Knowledge passive. Just having the staff wont do it. It's in the tooltip. This wasn't always the case but is now
  • colexxtrain
    colexxtrain
    ✭✭✭
    did some additional brainstorming with some guild members thought about the pen on the skelly didnt have 100 percent pen but with ele and all cp into erosion got the resistance down to 7640 and the difference between the 2 wasn't that much off like .002 difference from original test. also read the tool tip for when i was on each bar says 958 on fire 1030 on lightning. so even the tooltip is not accurate. 958 x .08 = 76.64 + 958 = 1034.64 is what the tool tip should say.
    im just going insane bc i really wanted my endless hail to hit harder when i had a lightning stave equipped but whatever. ill wear my tinfoil hat proud.
  • Ultimate_Overlord
    Ultimate_Overlord
    ✭✭✭
    Dmg multipliers are additive with each other. What youre experiencing is diminishing returns. A 4 dmg difference on a tooltip isnt relevant enough for a forum thread anyway.
    Edited by Ultimate_Overlord on July 1, 2017 9:44AM
  • colexxtrain
    colexxtrain
    ✭✭✭
    guess i would like to just hold zos to a higher standard. if it says 8% should mean it no diminshing returns on 1 buff with nothing else stacked.