Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sword and shield for a PVP healer

doslekis
doslekis
✭✭✭
I recently made a Templar healer and just got him to champion rank. For dungeons I use a resto\destro combo, but for cyrodiil I see a lot of healers wearing the sword and board.

My question is how to you use te sword and shield on a magic healer character? Do you use any of the skills or just the passives? Keep it on the back bar for defense when you come under attack?
I don't normally use daggers, but when I do, I choose dos Lekis.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Maelstorm sword & board on back bar and use use it for defence to turtle up and survive! But I'm no pro.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just use the passives. It's my main bar for healing though. I put ice or resto staff on the back bar.
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Snb is almost a must, you're going to get focused a lot
  • Sacredx
    Sacredx
    ✭✭✭
    sword and shield for the passive skills + the extra utility glyph, which you can't get any other way + extra set piece, so you can have 5-5-2.
    PC NA PvP Oceanic
    The Kelly Gang [TKG]
    Highest kill streak: https://i.imgur.com/V6jJhoy.png
    KB sample: https://i.imgur.com/n7TFyZr.png
    TKG raid sample: https://youtube.com/watch?v=RkrsHg3T7pc
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those that main bar @Toast_STS / @Lexxypwns S&B what heals are you using in PvP then? Curious as I'm throwing down healing springs and combat prayer for the minor force etc am still noob to PvP healing!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to run 1H/Shield on my Magicka Templar...

Not anymore though; with the right build, you can survive just fine without it...

Currently run Resto Staff on my Healing bar, and Dual Wield on my DPS bar...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should front bar resto, personally, but you want to keep a large burst heal on Snb bar so that you can turtle up during extreme pressure.

The resto staff heals are great and as long as you're aware of your positioning, the positioning of your group members, and the positioning of anyone that can deal threatening damage to your group then those HoTs are enough to keep everyone topped off through minor pressure. Just make sure when the bomb comes that you switch back bar for the burst heals.

If nobody in group is running trans or riposte then I'd wear riposte on 5 body, trans on jewels+Snb, 2 BS(groups of 6 or less) or 2 troll king(the larger the group the better troll king becomes), and ideally masters resto
    Edited by Lexxypwns on July 1, 2017 2:33PM
  • doslekis
    doslekis
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help everybody.

Currently running transmutation and healers habit, trying to get troll King.

Will start running sword and board on back bar with Bol for burst jeal
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    doslekis wrote: »
    Thanks for the help everybody.

Currently running transmutation and healers habit, trying to get troll King.

Will start running sword and board on back bar with Bol for burst jeal

I'm not saying healers habit isn't viable, but it's far from your best choice, I think adding to your group utility will provide much higher overall benefit that the
    Extra healing
  • soll
    soll
    ✭✭✭
    You need passives and ulti from s&b. ultimate is simply awesome for pvp healer: it's cheap, effective on both melee and range, saves stamina on block. I even killed some NB with reflected snipes, lol.

Plus, many healers are running transmutation set (or other support set that works on same mechanics) , which you need to have only on one bar (jewelry + s&B) – allowing you to run 2 5/5 sets and monster helm.

As for heals: resto stave front bar, and BoL on back bar.
    also, how are you surviving in light armor? I would strongly recommend to change it for heavy set, there are many different options. This patch I switched for heavy seducer (I play in no cp).
    EU PC
    I like to heal
    Triggered Tryhards/ HighRisk
    EP – Sollencia
    AD – Sollencia Overdose
    When you've invested time and money into a company, you have the right to be upset over changes that will negatively affect your experience and gameplay.

• doslekis
    doslekis
    ✭✭✭
    soll wrote: »
    also, how are you surviving in light armor? ).

Not very well haha, ok I think I will craft some 5pc heavy and run the trans with sword and shield and rings. Heavy seducer sounds good as it will make up for the cost of the lost regen from the light armor.

• TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Light, 1 Medium, 1 Heavy is very doable for PvP...

When I pair the above with Mighty Chudan and a Defending Staff, I am hitting 31k Spell Resist and 23k Physical Resist at all times...

And that setup has served me well in all content for that matter...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • soll
    soll
    ✭✭✭
    soll wrote: »
    also, how are you surviving in light armor? ).

Not very well haha, ok I think I will craft some 5pc heavy and run the trans with sword and shield and rings. Heavy seducer sounds good as it will make up for the cost of the lost regen from the light armor.

go 5 heavy on body, 2 light monster helm: bloodspawn, malubeth or troll king, some people like pirate skeleton. At no cp pvp I run 2 recovery and 1 reduce cost glyphs + food for max hp and mag/stam recovery. with seducer I have no problems at resources. Also, you have great passive in resto stave, where it gives you 540 mana, every time when you block a spell – this works great when you activate S&B ulti and bar swap.

EDIT: with current set up spd is low, yes, but anyway you spam-healing, so in the end better sustain in both magica and stamina, together with good survivability works better than other couple hundreds heals from springs. well, at least that's how I play ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Edited by soll on July 2, 2017 7:42PM
    EU PC
    I like to heal
    Triggered Tryhards/ HighRisk
    EP – Sollencia
    AD – Sollencia Overdose
    When you've invested time and money into a company, you have the right to be upset over changes that will negatively affect your experience and gameplay.

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently made a Templar healer and just got him to champion rank. For dungeons I use a resto\destro combo, but for cyrodiil I see a lot of healers wearing the sword and board.

My question is how to you use te sword and shield on a magic healer character? Do you use any of the skills or just the passives? Keep it on the back bar for defense when you come under attack?

If a light armor/resto staff dungeon-type healer comes across a good group and cant hide behind large number of friendly players, then that healer will either get bursted down or so disrupted they wont be any good to their group.

Templars and wardens have the luxury of being able to put out either high burst heals or large area of effect heals while blocking with a sword and shield which give them surviability + ability to heal others that the other 3 classes can't match. I don't really think in terms of "front bar" and "back bar." Rather use the shield to heal when under a lot of pressure/taking a lot of damage and the resto when things are less hectic.

This patch has made it easier to wear light armor (especially with a set like Wizards Riposte), but going to need more to survive if an enemy group that knows what they are doing all attack a healer.
    Edited by Joy_Division on July 2, 2017 8:33PM