Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Advice for my PvP Stam Warden Werewolf Build

CrazyCleatus
CrazyCleatus
✭✭✭
The skills and sets I want to use are listed below. Just looking for advice from experienced players, as I never actually have made it to max level in this game.

Bar 1:
Cliff Diver
Invasion
Heroic Slash
Subterranean Assault
Reverberating Bash
Pack Leader (Ultimate)

Bar 2:
Bull Netch
Soothing Spores
Resolving Vigor
Green Lotus
Bird of Prey
Pack Leader (Ultimate)

Item sets:
Mighty Chudan
Pelenials Aptitude
Prisoner's Rags

My build plan is basically a mobile, high sustain, 1h/Shield disruptor until I transform into a wolf. I chose Pelenials so my Werewolf heal is strong, Prisoner's Rags for mana regen while cheaply sprinting, and Mighty Chudan for extra survivability.

Thinking I'll go the 5 medium, 1 heavy, and 1 light armour route with this build. My character is also an imperial.
Edited by CrazyCleatus on June 20, 2017 8:30PM

Best Answers

• Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately warden passives don't really serve werewolf well... And in my opinion is the worst werewolf class available.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    I think you can be a very successful stam Warden werewolf...I have no idea why people would naysay that, lol.

As a non-vet character, you should play and experiment with your skills and gear setup. So your build ideas are fine, but I can also add some tips for what you're looking to do. I have a vet stam Warden I'm honing. Their weakness thus far is dps. They have great sustain...good heals...but I am finding I want to boost dps considerably.

Bars: my personal choice based on your build idea would be dual wield front, 1h back, but that's a personal preference for more dps flexibility. But I'll stick w a 1h front bar with this advice...I'd just recommend you level all four weapon lines eventually.

1h bar skills: I think you'd get more from pierce armor than bash. I'm also trying to decide on my character if sub assault belongs on the front or back bar. It's almost one I want to proc on the back bar at the end of a buff/dot rotation, but I'm undecided.

Back bar: you've got too many buffs. I'd definitely recommend picking one stam heal, then putting a DOT on that slot...either caltrops or poison injection would be strong choices. And shimmering shield would be a contender for replacing either bird of prey or lotus.

Armor weights: the only advantage of a piece of light for this build is if you had the undaunted perk that boosts your stats for it, which you probably don't. If you just want to level light because...what the hey...go for it. Otherwise, 6/1 or 5/2 serves you better.

Sets: in my opinion, sorry, those sets aren't very good. The main problem with the strategy is choosing sets to help with very specialized activities you'll be doing a tiny fraction of the time. In other words, you're picking Pelinel for when you're healing as a werewolf...but does it make more sense to get a 20% better heal the one time in 100 you're using that, or to get 10% more damage on the 80% of stam attacks you're proccing? In the long run, broader, more used, better utility buffs are way superior. But my specific commentary on the sets:

Pelinel: stinks because of what you give up. The mag recovery slot is sucky for you...but not the end of the world. The 5th trait absolutely stinks because you'll be using it rarely. You're giving up something like Hundings Rage's 5th trait, weapon damage. Let's look at what that means. I'll use c160 numbers because it's easiest to illustrate with these sorta standard values.

The Hunding 5th trait is 300 weapon damage. This is roughly worth increasing ANY stamina based ability, attack or heal, by 5%. So every hit you do for 10,000 could be 10,500 w Hundings over Pelinel. This might sound small, but count how many hits you do in a minute...it adds up. (And note: the other buffs on Hundings actually raise your damage by another 3% I won't explain the math, but the set is worth about 8% more dps).

The bottom line is that you want a set that offers advantages more often, then compensate for the werewolf heal in other places.

Prisoners Rags: there are no words for how much this set sucks, lol. Ok...it's not the WORST set in the game, but it's pretty bad. The 2-4 traits aren't awful, but that 5th trait again leaves you with a perk you will use rarely. And when you do use it, you're restoring...magic? Blah. Your magic pool is a dump...your sets shouldn't look to bring in more, lol. Spriggans...a proc set...a tank set...most anything would beat this set.

Chundun: this does make you quite a bit tankier. I'd recommend getting a dps helm set too, just for when you don't need the tankiness. It's hard to say which, but as you refine the character look to monster sets to round out any weaknesses. And if you're wanting a tanky monster set, also consider troll king. If you heal yourself and you're under 60% health your health recovery flies off the charts. This might outperform chundun for you.

Warden: 10% more health with heal and snare reduction. Other Wardens can grant you health buff.
    Templars: 6% weapon damage,increased spell resistance, decreased ability cost, cheaper
    Nightblade: 15% regen across the board (works best with health regen wolves).
    Dk: Battle roar 2nd life, increased spell resistance, increased block.
    Sorc: execute, cheaper ult. Cheaper abilities, increased physical damage.

With your set critiques couldn't disagree more... If you build a werewolf in the way you suggest, putting nothing into survival, you will fail... In pvp werewolf's heal is garbage and the main reason werewolf is considered a free kill to many experienced players. Pelinals can increase your healing potental by 100%, and keep you alive in more situations then a extra 500 damage a hit would give you.

If you have problems killing people by giving up a little damage I suggest you practice your wolf more... Simply over amping your damage is a mistake too many novice werewolves make.
    Caius
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    7 medium seems as better option, since it has more reduction to stamina cost. Also, despite the fact that you get 15% stamina regen while on bar with ww ulti, I would slot dawnbreaker on one of the bars, since it is cheap, AoE dot, that boosts damage or acts as CC, depending on morph you choose. Other one to consider is 1h&s ultimate, especially the morph that reflects all projectiles back to the casters. Cheap and reliable, helps a lot and gives you 5-6 sec of complete burst window, since you automatically block all damage.

About sets to go for, I can just say this depends on do you PvP in CP or non CP campaign. If non CP, best ones to go are viper, tremorscale and bone pirate's tatters. If CP, things gets much complicated, but for s&b user, I think this setup is pretty strong. If you want to try something bit more tanky, combine bone pirate with knight's errand and trollking. 5 medium, 2 heavy in this case would be good.
  • CrazyCleatus
    CrazyCleatus
    ✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    7 medium seems as better option, since it has more reduction to stamina cost. Also, despite the fact that you get 15% stamina regen while on bar with ww ulti, I would slot dawnbreaker on one of the bars, since it is cheap, AoE dot, that boosts damage or acts as CC, depending on morph you choose. Other one to consider is 1h&s ultimate, especially the morph that reflects all projectiles back to the casters. Cheap and reliable, helps a lot and gives you 5-6 sec of complete burst window, since you automatically block all damage.

About sets to go for, I can just say this depends on do you PvP in CP or non CP campaign. If non CP, best ones to go are viper, tremorscale and bone pirate's tatters. If CP, things gets much complicated, but for s&b user, I think this setup is pretty strong. If you want to try something bit more tanky, combine bone pirate with knight's errand and trollking. 5 medium, 2 heavy in this case would be good.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll put the 1h+shield ultimate on front bar, and werewolf on back.

As for item sets, I'm pretty set on the ones in my original post. From what I've read, a werewolf with a strong heal and high resistances is really deadly.
    Prothwata wrote: »
    Unfortunately warden passives don't really serve werewolf well... And in my opinion is the worst werewolf class available.

Hmm... I'm just really set on being a Warden werewolf, so I'll do my best to make it work.

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you can be a very successful stam Warden werewolf...I have no idea why people would naysay that, lol.

As a non-vet character, you should play and experiment with your skills and gear setup. So your build ideas are fine, but I can also add some tips for what you're looking to do. I have a vet stam Warden I'm honing. Their weakness thus far is dps. They have great sustain...good heals...but I am finding I want to boost dps considerably.

Bars: my personal choice based on your build idea would be dual wield front, 1h back, but that's a personal preference for more dps flexibility. But I'll stick w a 1h front bar with this advice...I'd just recommend you level all four weapon lines eventually.

1h bar skills: I think you'd get more from pierce armor than bash. I'm also trying to decide on my character if sub assault belongs on the front or back bar. It's almost one I want to proc on the back bar at the end of a buff/dot rotation, but I'm undecided.

Back bar: you've got too many buffs. I'd definitely recommend picking one stam heal, then putting a DOT on that slot...either caltrops or poison injection would be strong choices. And shimmering shield would be a contender for replacing either bird of prey or lotus.

Armor weights: the only advantage of a piece of light for this build is if you had the undaunted perk that boosts your stats for it, which you probably don't. If you just want to level light because...what the hey...go for it. Otherwise, 6/1 or 5/2 serves you better.

Sets: in my opinion, sorry, those sets aren't very good. The main problem with the strategy is choosing sets to help with very specialized activities you'll be doing a tiny fraction of the time. In other words, you're picking Pelinel for when you're healing as a werewolf...but does it make more sense to get a 20% better heal the one time in 100 you're using that, or to get 10% more damage on the 80% of stam attacks you're proccing? In the long run, broader, more used, better utility buffs are way superior. But my specific commentary on the sets:

Pelinel: stinks because of what you give up. The mag recovery slot is sucky for you...but not the end of the world. The 5th trait absolutely stinks because you'll be using it rarely. You're giving up something like Hundings Rage's 5th trait, weapon damage. Let's look at what that means. I'll use c160 numbers because it's easiest to illustrate with these sorta standard values.

The Hunding 5th trait is 300 weapon damage. This is roughly worth increasing ANY stamina based ability, attack or heal, by 5%. So every hit you do for 10,000 could be 10,500 w Hundings over Pelinel. This might sound small, but count how many hits you do in a minute...it adds up. (And note: the other buffs on Hundings actually raise your damage by another 3% I won't explain the math, but the set is worth about 8% more dps).

The bottom line is that you want a set that offers advantages more often, then compensate for the werewolf heal in other places.

Prisoners Rags: there are no words for how much this set sucks, lol. Ok...it's not the WORST set in the game, but it's pretty bad. The 2-4 traits aren't awful, but that 5th trait again leaves you with a perk you will use rarely. And when you do use it, you're restoring...magic? Blah. Your magic pool is a dump...your sets shouldn't look to bring in more, lol. Spriggans...a proc set...a tank set...most anything would beat this set.

Chundun: this does make you quite a bit tankier. I'd recommend getting a dps helm set too, just for when you don't need the tankiness. It's hard to say which, but as you refine the character look to monster sets to round out any weaknesses. And if you're wanting a tanky monster set, also consider troll king. If you heal yourself and you're under 60% health your health recovery flies off the charts. This might outperform chundun for you.
  • CrazyCleatus
    CrazyCleatus
    ✭✭✭

Warden: 10% more health with heal and snare reduction. Other Wardens can grant you health buff.
    Templars: 6% weapon damage,increased spell resistance, decreased ability cost, cheaper

With your set critiques couldn't disagree more... If you build a werewolf in the way you suggest, putting nothing into survival, you will fail... In pvp werewolf's heal is garbage and the main reason werewolf is considered a free kill to many experienced players. Pelinals can increase your healing potental by 100%, and keep you alive in more situations then a extra 500 damage a hit would give you.

If you have problems killing people by giving up a little damage I suggest you practice your wolf more... Simply over amping your damage is a mistake too many novice werewolves make.

You seem to really know what you're talking about when it comes to werewolf. Any advice you can give on my build idea besides saying warden sucks? Would be greatly appreciated, haha.
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You seem to really know what you're talking about when it comes to werewolf. Any advice you can give on my build idea besides saying warden sucks? Would be greatly appreciated, haha.

Fair enough of a request.

Truthfully the gear you selected is not a horrible option.

You may enjoy putting kena in for extra offense.

I've been running kena, pelinal's, Impregnable 5-1-1 all tristat (2 infused, 2 wellfitted- rest impen) trifood. At 45k stamina and 5k weapon damage, light attacks apply more than enough pressure to get the job done. Have an opening and some extra stam, hit them with a couple howls of agony.
    Edited by Chrlynsch on June 30, 2017 10:19PM
    Caius
    PC NA
  • CrazyCleatus
    CrazyCleatus
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks! Do you think my ability set ups are okay as well? And do you run WW on one bar or two bars?

As for my item choices (Chudan, prisoner, pelinals), do you think I'll still be able to do enough burst damage?

And speaking of classes, which ones are going to make my life a living hell?

Thanks in advance.