Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New Player

FemaDeafSquad
FemaDeafSquad
Soul Shriven
I just decided to pick up ESO gold and Morrow for PC. Can't decide what to roll. Warden or Magsorc. I think Warden looks pretty cool. MagSorc was the type of toon I normally play WoW lock for over 7 years. I was going to go hard and looks towards end game. Was wondering how viable each of those were end game.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now Magicka Sorcerer is the best DPS in the game and the best solo class in the game. It's really kicking butt out there.
    However, be aware that because of this there is very likely a balance pass due.

Warden is pretty good and you should do fine with one. It's not as strong as the other above but if you've played MMO games before I am sure you're aware of how classes have their months of ups and downs.

Personally I would say if you've played Magicka Sorcerer type classes in the past then you would enjoy it here, you can always make one and learn the game with a strong class, then when you've got it max level and between any content you're running like trials (raids) level up a Warden with the money and gear you've got from your sorcerer.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, ESO has 3 difficulty settings:

Easy: Sorcerer
    Normal: Dragonknight - Templar - Warden
    Hard: Nightblade

This is the case when you end up with the recent META's, though your first playthrough should be enjoyable and be a good experience. Play whatever you want to play.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For someone completely new to the game warden should be pretty fun. It has the potential to do well in all three classic roles: tanks, healer or DPS, depending on how you spec him.

It is not the top performer in either category, but that shouldn't be a concern until the very cutting edge raiding, and by the time you get there, the game will be rebalanced seven times over, so i wouldn't worry about it.
  • FemaDeafSquad
    FemaDeafSquad
    Soul Shriven
    Awesome thanks for the suggestions. I will probably roll a warden. Just because I want to have some fun and the sorc seems a little on the boring side. But I love casters like that so will end up with one at sometime.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my warden is more fun than my sorceror. :) Plus, you can throw birds at people's heads.

Edited by SydneyGrey on June 20, 2017 12:11AM
  • Pseron_Wyrd
    Pseron_Wyrd
    ✭✭✭
    Dracindo wrote: »
    Hard: Nightblade

I'm a new player myself and my experience so far has been the opposite of this. Recently I battled a River Troll in Vvardenfell with two level 5 Sorcerors (with slightly different ability selections). The River Troll killed one Sorc and her pet while he was still at half health. The other Sorc battle was a draw. I fought him for a about five minutes and gave up.

My level 5 Nightblade, on the other hand, defeated him in 30 or 40 seconds, and with about 3/4 of her health remaining. So I guess you never know...
    Edited by Pseron_Wyrd on June 20, 2017 12:32AM
  • Solshine
    Solshine
    Soul Shriven
    Dracindo wrote: »
    As far as I know, ESO has 3 difficulty settings:

Normal: Dragonknight - Templar - Warden
    Hard: Nightblade.

Aw... I consider myself a new player, my first character is 30 level atm and a Nightblade.. I was looking for playstyle revolving around damage over time spells to replicate what I'm used to after years of playing WoW and I was recommended magicka Nightblade. Now I fear I might not be able to handle this class properly as a new player once this character gets more levels. Do you think I should consider rerolling to Sorcerer? Is the difficulty gap indeed so huge between the two classes, especially on higher levels? I'm not saying I;m struggling heavily, but I do die a lot when accidentaly running into 2-3+ mobs.

• FemaDeafSquad
    FemaDeafSquad
    Soul Shriven
    I wasnt a big fan of warden. I only went to level 10 though. Wasnt having a super fun time.Made a magika templar and I am loving it.
  • oaflet
    oaflet
    ✭✭✭
    Solshine wrote: »

Aw... I consider myself a new player, my first character is 30 level atm and a Nightblade.. I was looking for playstyle revolving around damage over time spells to replicate what I'm used to after years of playing WoW and I was recommended magicka Nightblade. Now I fear I might not be able to handle this class properly as a new player once this character gets more levels. Do you think I should consider rerolling to Sorcerer? Is the difficulty gap indeed so huge between the two classes, especially on higher levels? I'm not saying I;m struggling heavily, but I do die a lot when accidentaly running into 2-3+ mobs.

I was brand new to MMOs at launch and I rolled a Nightblade as my first, that I still play... when done well it can be very effective. Perhaps not *as* effective as a good sorc build if it's DPS you're going for, but I like hands-on combat and sticking pointy things in my enemies, so for me that has been the most fun. It took more playing around with to get a good build than my other classes though.

As a relative noob I've not had trouble with it. Check out some builds/recommendations and play around with the skills. I'd say if you've having fun sticking pointy things into your enemies so far, then no need to stop now :)
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you want to reconsider rerolling? Nightblades are good, all classes are good. Problem comes when you try to fast level without understanding the class mechanics.

It's all about knowing what you want to do with the class and what the class can offer you. I've had the best time levelling Nightblade then any other class because I love an engaging playstyle, unlike sorc or warden which I seriously slept through the levels.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Kushh
    Kushh
    ✭✭
    Love my nightblade.