The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How much DPS *should* I be dealing?

Illurian
Illurian
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all,

I have 2 dps characters (magblade and stamsorc) and was wondering how much dps they should be dealing with their current set ups. This is just so I know how close I am to having a decent rotation. They are far from BiS, but dps is the last role I go to (my main is a healer and I also have a tank), so my poor dps characters aren't taken care of too well.

My magblade is set up as follows:
5 x Julianos
2 x Grothdarr
3 x Willpower (Spell Damage enchants)
Inferno staff front bar, lightning staff back bar.
All purple, all divines armor pieces, all sharpened weapons.

Stamsorc setup:
5 x NMG
2 x Kragh's
5 x Toothrow (Weapon Damage enchants)
Double daggers front bar, bow back bar.
All purple, all divines armor pieces, all sharpened weapons.

Both using trash pots.

Currently, my magblade reliably deals 20k dps on the target skeleton completely self-buffed (without ele drain/orbs etc), with my highest being 21k dps.
My stamsorc reliably deals 23.5k dps with the same conditions as above (no major fracture/orbs etc).

Anyone have any insight as to how much I should be doing with these set ups?
Kiss the chaos.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer is always...

"More than you are currentry doing!"

Serioudly, though, the fact you have purple gear and no breach/fracture does mean you're unlikely to hit around 35k, which is what I would expect you to hit in gold and with breach/fracture applied. Something like 25k may be as much as your skill/gear combo can reasonably put out. You've not really given any info to know if you're playing as efficiently as possible. The gear sets themselves are not BiS but they are good. Don't stress over it too much.

Edit: Also, there's a lot you haven't said. Like, do you have 100% uptime Major Sorcery/Prophesy? Usually people get those from pots.
    Edited by dpencil1 on June 27, 2017 11:51PM
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your cp is an important factor for what you "should" be pulling. To illustrate, I was doing some testing a while ago, and taking out all my blue line cp brought my sorc's selfbuffed from ~39k to ~24k. Also, to estimate how much you should be doing with those specific setups, you're better off posting combat metrics parses of what you're doing now. Looking at things like dot uptime and missed light attacks is a lot easier for people than trying to calculate the ceiling of an unoptimized build.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your magblade should be getting like 23k roughly without breaking much of a sweat
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your input!
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    The answer is always...

"More than you are currentry doing!"

Serioudly, though, the fact you have purple gear and no breach/fracture does mean you're unlikely to hit around 35k, which is what I would expect you to hit in gold and with breach/fracture applied. Something like 25k may be as much as your skill/gear combo can reasonably put out. You've not really given any info to know if you're playing as efficiently as possible. The gear sets themselves are not BiS but they are good. Don't stress over it too much.

Edit: Also, there's a lot you haven't said. Like, do you have 100% uptime Major Sorcery/Prophesy? Usually people get those from pots.

I use trash pots, so I don't get any buffs from them.

Because of this, I am currently utilizing skills that give these buffs instead.

My magblade frontbars Inner Light for Major Prophecy and uses Sap Essence for Major Sorcery. Major Sorcery has 100% uptime, but Major Prophecy does not. At a rough estimate, I would say that it is up 50% of the time.

My stamsorc use Critical Surge for Major Brutality and inherently gets Major Savagery from Toothrow. Thus, both are up 100%.

Your cp is an important factor for what you "should" be pulling. To illustrate, I was doing some testing a while ago, and taking out all my blue line cp brought my sorc's selfbuffed from ~39k to ~24k. Also, to estimate how much you should be doing with those specific setups, you're better off posting combat metrics parses of what you're doing now. Looking at things like dot uptime and missed light attacks is a lot easier for people than trying to calculate the ceiling of an unoptimized build.

Great points, thank you! I will try to get some combat metrics screenshots up soon!
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dpencil1 @theamazingx

Here's a dps parse for each of my characters.

Magblade:
    Screenshot_20170628_122107_zps2p5gizli.png

Stamsorc:
    Screenshot_20170628_124052_zpsuqhugctx.png

Oh... I should probably have put this in the OP but I'm also using sub-optimal races. My magblade is an Argonian and my Stamsorc is an Orc.
    Edited by Illurian on June 28, 2017 11:09AM
    Kiss the chaos.
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to hit numbers without potions is gonna be rough, no way around that. I'd recommend dropping Rend in favor of Flawless Dawnbreaker (for the passive weapon damage) and put the turret morph of the bow ult on backbar as the ult you actually use, and trying to fit Evil Hunter, or whatever morph of that skill, on your front bar so you can replace Toothrow with Hundings or something. This might mean dropping rapid strikes entirely and just doing consistent heavyweaving on front bar dots and lightweaves on back, hopefully getting better dot uptime than you do now.

Bars would probably look like:
    Rending, trap, hurricane, evil hunter, bound armaments, flawless dawnbreaker

Endless hail, poison injection, crit surge, evil hunter, bound armaments, turret bow ult

Ideally, with pots, you'd replace surge on back with trap, and replace trap on front with blade cloak, and the evil hunters would be open flex for stuff like vigor since they'd only be giving 2% weapon damage from the fg passive. If you want to keep using toothrow, replace evil hunter with bladecloak on front, vigor or anything really on back.

Shoot for 27k selfbuffed, that's 30kish with major fracture, and you'll be fine for most stuff.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to hit numbers without potions is gonna be rough, no way around that. I'd recommend dropping Rend in favor of Flawless Dawnbreaker (for the passive weapon damage) and put the turret morph of the bow ult on backbar as the ult you actually use, and trying to fit Evil Hunter, or whatever morph of that skill, on your front bar so you can replace Toothrow with Hundings or something. This might mean dropping rapid strikes entirely and just doing consistent heavyweaving on front bar dots and lightweaves on back, hopefully getting better dot uptime than you do now.

Bars would probably look like:
    Rending, trap, hurricane, evil hunter, bound armaments, flawless dawnbreaker

Endless hail, poison injection, crit surge, evil hunter, bound armaments, turret bow ult

Ideally, with pots, you'd replace surge on back with trap, and replace trap on front with blade cloak, and the evil hunters would be open flex for stuff like vigor since they'd only be giving 2% weapon damage from the fg passive. If you want to keep using toothrow, replace evil hunter with bladecloak on front, vigor or anything really on back.

Shoot for 27k selfbuffed, that's 30kish with major fracture, and you'll be fine for most stuff.

Thanks! I'll try out your rotation recommendation and see how that goes.

I can't swap out Toothrow for Hundings as Hundings doesn't have any Jewelry (I wish it did). What other (cheap/easy) sets are there that I could use? I know VO/TFS/Spriggans are BiS or pretty close to being BiS but they are either from trials or are exorbitantly expensive.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Illurian wrote: »

I can't swap out Toothrow for Hundings as Hundings doesn't have any Jewelry (I wish it did). What other (cheap/easy) sets are there that I could use? I know VO/TFS/Spriggans are BiS or pretty close to being BiS but they are either from trials or are exorbitantly expensive.

Since you can use NMG weapons, Spriggan's is pretty easy to farm. Just hit dolmens until you get jewelry, then do delve bosses until you get 2 divines pieces of armor (or sharpened weapons). Then adjust your NMG pieces around that. Shouldn't be more than a few hours farming, if you get lucky with jewelry drops.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you can use NMG weapons, Spriggan's is pretty easy to farm. Just hit dolmens until you get jewelry, then do delve bosses until you get 2 divines pieces of armor (or sharpened weapons). Then adjust your NMG pieces around that. Shouldn't be more than a few hours farming, if you get lucky with jewelry drops.

'That's true, I'll try doing that! Thanks. Though I suppose I should be swapping out my NMG pieces for Hundings if I'm using Spriggans, as I'll be over-penetrating then, right?
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys were right! I swapped out my Toothrow for Spriggans (just bought blue jewelry) and swapped NMG for Hundings. My dps instantly saw an increase! I tried with those fancy pots that give buffs and I'm able to reliably hit 28.5k dps on my stamsorc now. I am, however, missing caltrops (since I never PvPed on him) and haven't morphed Dawnbreaker yet. With those, my dps should only go up!
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dpencil1 @theamazingx

Magblade:

Stamsorc:

Oh... I should probably have put this in the OP but I'm also using sub-optimal races. My magblade is an Argonian and my Stamsorc is an Orc.

Right away - what is your mNB rotation? I dont' see a spammable. and I see sap essence. I'm confused. Also the uptime of merciless resolve is pretty far from 100%.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artis wrote: »
    @dpencil1 @theamazingx

Magblade:

Stamsorc:

Right away - what is your mNB rotation? I dont' see a spammable. and I see sap essence. I'm confused. Also the uptime of merciless resolve is pretty far from 100%.

Spammable is force pulse. Sap essence is used for Major Sorcery (as stated I'm using trash pots). Merciless resolve is actually up 100% (or slightly more due to circle rotation) as can be seen by Minor Beserk having a 100% uptime (only source is Merciless Resolve).

My rotation goes something like this:

Before start: Siphoning strikes + Merciless Resolve

First rotation: Twisted Path, Shock Clench, Thunderous Rage, Sap Essence, Spectral Bow, Recast Merciless Resolve (purely for convenience in circle rotation), bar swap, Flame Blockade, Crippling grasp, Force Pulse x2, bar swap

Second rotation onwards: Spectral Bow, Twisting Path, Shock Clench, Siphoning Strikes, Sap Essence, Spectral Bow, Merciless Resolve, barswap, Flame Blockade, Crippling grasp, Force pulse x2 if light weaving - x1 if heavy, barswap and repeat.

Of course throwing in Thunderous Rage when possible. Force Pulse is replaced with Impale after 25% hp.

I know it's definitely not optimal, but that's what I'm doing. Any suggestions would be welcome!
    Edited by Illurian on June 30, 2017 9:41AM
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For stam sorc try spriggans (twice fanged serpent if you can get it) and hundings with velidreth or stick to kraghs if you don't have it. Easy to craft/buy. Run an Infused dagger with wpn damage enchant and sharp ax for the bleed. With this setup on my stam DK (I do have fracture via noxious breath) I can hit 25k dps on a target skeleton with all purple gear and blue spriggan jewelry. Run endless hail, rearming trap, caltrops, crit surge and bound armaments ok both bars. Rending slashes, blade cloak, rapid strikes, hurricane on dw. Flawless dawnbreaker on both bars.
    Edited by Vapirko on June 30, 2017 1:57PM
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vapirko wrote: »
    For stam sorc try spriggans (twice fanged serpent if you can get it) and hundings with velidreth or stick to kraghs if you don't have it. Easy to craft/buy. Run an Infused dagger with wpn damage enchant and sharp ax for the bleed. With this setup on my stam DK (I do have fracture via noxious breath) I can hit 25k dps on a target skeleton with all purple gear and blue spriggan jewelry. Run endless hail, rearming trap, caltrops, crit surge and bound armaments ok both bars. Rending slashes, blade cloak, rapid strikes, hurricane on dw. Flawless dawnbreaker on both bars.

@Vapirko Don't recommend using an Infused weapon. Its never better than Sharpened, at best its equal in terms of DPS. Also, check your info a bit more, the weapon damage enchant goes on the off-hand and the poison enchant goes on the Infused main hand weapon. Infused isn't good because it gives you higher uptime on weapon damage and more DPS from the poison glyph. Its good because it buffs the enchant of the vMA bow, thus boosting the DPS of Endless Hail. Its by no means better than Sharpened, especially for someone who hasn't mastered the rotation and the intricacies of the class. Just please, don't spread this kind of misinformation, especially to newer/struggling players... Is it really that hard to check things before posting?
    Edited by Izaki on June 30, 2017 2:06PM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vapirko Don't recommend using an Infused weapon. Its never better than Sharpened, at best its equal in terms of DPS. Also, check your info a bit more, the weapon damage enchant goes on the off-hand and the poison enchant goes on the Infused main hand weapon. Infused isn't good because it gives you higher uptime on weapon damage and more DPS from the poison glyph. Its good because it buffs the enchant of the vMA bow, thus boosting the DPS of Endless Hail. Its by no means better than Sharpened, especially for someone who hasn't mastered the rotation and the intricacies of the class. Just please, don't spread this kind of misinformation, especially to newer/struggling players... Is it really that hard to check things before posting?

Do you have the numbers to support your claim? I've tried running Infused on the poison, it lowers dps.
    Edited by Vapirko on June 30, 2017 2:14PM
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean by the infused main hand weapon buffing the enchant of the VMA bow?
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean by the infused main hand weapon buffing the enchant of the VMA bow?

I'd also like to know what you mean, an Infused poison enchant boosting vma bow enchantment?
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually did this last night! I tried farming for purple Spriggan jewelry but got frustrated and bought blue jewelry which are dirt cheap. I also decided to give the crafted potions a try and they boosted my dps by about 2k.

I'm actually using the infused dagger with a weapon enchant on my mainhand as well, as I saw it on Alcast's guide. Apparently due to CPs being so front loaded now, the 20-something points in Precise makes up for it not being sharpened.

My dps has shot up to 28.5k now (with the fancy pots)! I still need to get flawless dawnbreaker (it's not leveled yet) and caltrops (haven't done any pvp on my stamsorc). I also need to level his Alchemy so that I can maintain the buffs from the fancy pots 100% of the time. I think after getting all of the above I'll be able to hit close to 30k dps self-buffed. Not sure yet, though.

Why do you double bar Flawless Dawnbreaker btw? Isn't it only really useful for frontbar due to the passive damage boost? I thought the actual ultimate itself was a lot weaker than other ults.

Kiss the chaos.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually did this last night! I tried farming for purple Spriggan jewelry but got frustrated and bought blue jewelry which are dirt cheap. I also decided to give the crafted potions a try and they boosted my dps by about 2k.

I'm actually using the infused dagger with a weapon enchant on my mainhand as well, as I saw it on Alcast's guide. Apparently due to CPs being so front loaded now, the 20-something points in Precise makes up for it not being sharpened.

My dps has shot up to 28.5k now (with the fancy pots)! I still need to get flawless dawnbreaker (it's not leveled yet) and caltrops (haven't done any pvp on my stamsorc). I also need to level his Alchemy so that I can maintain the buffs from the fancy pots 100% of the time. I think after getting all of the above I'll be able to hit close to 30k dps self-buffed. Not sure yet, though.

Why do you double bar Flawless Dawnbreaker btw? Isn't it only really useful for frontbar due to the passive damage boost? I thought the actual ultimate itself was a lot weaker than other ults.

Just as a boost on damage for both bars since I also run rearming trap on bow which thanks to the fighters guild passive boosts wpn damage even more, I've heard you can also run ballista for the bow as well. And some people like the dw ulti as apposed to db. I think at that point you're only gonna notice a huge difference if your rotations is perfect every time. If you're like me and you're rotation is solid but far from perfect every time it's harder to tell. I've messed around, I've used the dw ulti, used to use standard of might on my stam DK, on back bar, it all comes out within hitting distance, and since I'm not speed running vet trials doesn't make a ton of difference to me.
    Edited by Vapirko on June 30, 2017 3:42PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite sure how to answer this one, but both of those classes are capable of right around 40k on a dummy. Your biggest issue with gear is likely purple weapons. That wont magically make you pull crazy numbers, but gold weapons are a big factor. The armor is less important.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dpencil1 @theamazingx

Magblade:

Unfortunately I don't have time to give you more detailed feedback, but one of your dps losses right now, given your combat metrics recap, is that you are missing a lot of light attacks, and by extension, Assassin's Will procs. A perfect parse should show almost as many light attacks as there are seconds of combat, and a perfect rotation will net 3 Assassin's Will procs per full cycle. You can see from the recap that the parse lasted for 149s but you landed 111 light attacks (adding both fire and lightning light attacks together).

I also notice that your Major Prophecy is up only half of the fight. This probably means you don't have Inner Light on your back bar, and I know from a previous post you use trash pots. I know it's costly, but if you're serious about improving your parse, then use good potions for the real tests. Use trash pots while you're practicing the rotation, that's totally fine. This will also eliminate the need for you to use Sap Essence for Sorcery; not only will Sorcery just be up all the time from potions (using them on cooldown), but it takes a skill out of the rotation every 20s, and that can be used on something else, even if just a spammable like Funnel, this will improve your dps. Taking off Sap will give you room for Inner Light on your back bar too, and even if you're getting Prophecy from potions 100% of the time, Inner Light will improve your dps for the magicka boost.

You are under no obligation to set your bars up this way. But I'm going to lay it out my bars here for you in case it helps:
    Bar 1: Impale, Funnel, Twisting Path, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light; Fiery Rage
    Bar 2: Cripple, Lightning Blockade, Siphoning Attacks, Inner Light, -flex- ; Soul Harvest

The -flex- spot in trials goes to your shield, but for dummies you can run Ele Drain in that spot for sustain and Major Breach. Note that there is no Force Pulse in the rotation; Funnel is better for sustain and is viable but not mandatory.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    @dpencil1 @theamazingx

Magblade:

Unfortunately I don't have time to give you more detailed feedback, but one of your dps losses right now, given your combat metrics recap, is that you are missing a lot of light attacks, and by extension, Assassin's Will procs. A perfect parse should show almost as many light attacks as there are seconds of combat, and a perfect rotation will net 3 Assassin's Will procs per full cycle. You can see from the recap that the parse lasted for 149s but you landed 111 light attacks (adding both fire and lightning light attacks together).

I also notice that your Major Prophecy is up only half of the fight. This probably means you don't have Inner Light on your back bar, and I know from a previous post you use trash pots. I know it's costly, but if you're serious about improving your parse, then use good potions for the real tests. Use trash pots while you're practicing the rotation, that's totally fine. This will also eliminate the need for you to use Sap Essence for Sorcery; not only will Sorcery just be up all the time from potions (using them on cooldown), but it takes a skill out of the rotation every 20s, and that can be used on something else, even if just a spammable like Funnel, this will improve your dps. Taking off Sap will give you room for Inner Light on your back bar too, and even if you're getting Prophecy from potions 100% of the time, Inner Light will improve your dps for the magicka boost.

You are under no obligation to set your bars up this way. But I'm going to lay it out my bars here for you in case it helps:
    Bar 1: Impale, Funnel, Twisting Path, Merciless Resolve, Inner Light; Fiery Rage
    Bar 2: Cripple, Lightning Blockade, Siphoning Attacks, Inner Light, -flex- ; Soul Harvest

The -flex- spot in trials goes to your shield, but for dummies you can run Ele Drain in that spot for sustain and Major Breach. Note that there is no Force Pulse in the rotation; Funnel is better for sustain and is viable but not mandatory.

Thanks for the informative post!

Regarding light attacks, I actually didn't miss too many weaves (maybe 1 or 2) throughout. I had to land a lot of heavy attacks for magicka sustain (which show up later in the parse but not in the screenshot), which would be why there's such a discrepancy. How do you sustain with only light attacks?

Indeed, Inner Light was only on my front bar! Since Major Prophecy is achieved through fancy pots, is the 8% magicka boost from Inner Light that noticeable? I will certainly give it a shot!

Why do you use Fiery Rage and Lightning Blockade? I was told to have those completely opposite for higher DPS. Flame Blockade and Thunderous Rage.

As for the spammable, I was just used to using Force Pulse as I used to use Ilambris and BSW. Now that I moved away from those it makes sense to go with Funnel Health/Swallow Soul. Though I haven't done it as I thought that each hit of Force Pulse counted as an individual direct hit, so that gives higher chances of proc'ing Grothdarr, right? Slightly higher Grothdarr uptime?

Edit: Furthermore, what would be a decent (preferably circle) rotation?
    Edited by Illurian on June 30, 2017 4:07PM
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not quite sure how to answer this one, but both of those classes are capable of right around 40k on a dummy. Your biggest issue with gear is likely purple weapons. That wont magically make you pull crazy numbers, but gold weapons are a big factor. The armor is less important.

For dual wield, do you have to gold both weapons? I read somewhere that golding the secondary weapon has minimal effect, but I'm not sure.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding light attacks, I actually didn't miss too many weaves (maybe 1 or 2) throughout. I had to land a lot of heavy attacks for magicka sustain (which show up later in the parse but not in the screenshot), which would be why there's such a discrepancy. How do you sustain with only light attacks?
    Basically, you can sustain with pure light attacks by swapping out Force Pulse for Funnel. You can miss 1 light attack every cycle and still get the 3rd bow proc. Missing two means you just have to re-cast it at the next opportunity and work for the 3rd proc on the next cycle.

Indeed, Inner Light was only on my front bar! Since Major Prophecy is achieved through fancy pots, is the 8% magicka boost from Inner Light that noticeable? I will certainly give it a shot!
    Yeah, it's a pretty big increase. Let's assume you have 40k magicka, that 8% is an increase of 3.2k magicka, roughly equivalent to 320 spell damage.

Why do you use Fiery Rage and Lightning Blockade? I was told to have those completely opposite for higher DPS. Flame Blockade and Thunderous Rage.
    I've seen it done both ways. I only do on dummies what I would do in trials. The only exception is trading a shield for Ele Drain, else everything is identical to how I'd run in trials, and this is what produces higher numbers for me (it's expected that it will be different for others, not everyone is agreed upon a "one best" build afaik, there are a few really good options). It's most likely a difference in gear or rotation here, rather than an absolute "one is better." Group composition also affects this. I know that's not as clear of an answer as you're looking for, but there isn't a clear answer to give imho.

As for the spammable, I was just used to using Force Pulse as I used to use Ilambris and BSW. Now that I moved away from those it makes sense to go with Funnel Health/Swallow Soul. Though I haven't done it as I thought that each hit of Force Pulse counted as an individual direct hit, so that gives higher chances of proc'ing Grothdarr, right? Slightly higher Grothdarr uptime?
    The logic works, I use Ilambris over Grothdarr to accommodate how much we're moving in trials; I simply don't have the luxury of always standing in melee range to get the full benefit of Grothdarr so I don't run it; Ilambris for me has higher average dps, though Grothdarr might be higher under certain conditions. Ilambris can still proc without Force Pulse in several ways, Fiery Rage and light attacks vs. Lightning Blockade and light attacks, on each bar respectively.
    Edited by Autolycus on June 30, 2017 4:21PM