Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jumping - The worst Mechanic in the Game

Avrael
Avrael
✭✭✭✭
Because everything about the big bugs and problems get ignored, lets try adressing a small Problem that extremly annoying. =D

Why are Characters jumping like theyre tripping in the air on an invisible wire? And why do you have 0 Control over them when youre in the Air? It's very annoying that everything in the jump is determined by the Moment youre leaving the ground. I mean, if you think about it, there is a lot in the game you can or have to jump over, and its VERY hard to get the jump right from the beginning, mostly you will get stuck in the object, and if you have a REALLY bad day, you get the Bug where you slide reeeaaaaly slowly to the ground, which can take up to 20 Minutes.

I dont have hopes that a Dev will read this, but ill ask you all if youre as annoyed by this as i am, or have another opinion maybe.
"I mustache you a question."
"Well shave it for later."
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm annoyed by the slow fall and invisible walls not by the jump technique though. It's like a rocket launch have to be correctly calculated first :p
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every 3d Bethesda game has had the same terrible awkward jumping.
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ye, Skyrim had already pretty wanky jumping, but Eso decreased the mobility even further sadly. xD I wonder how much work it would be to change that...
    Edited by Avrael on June 30, 2017 3:25PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda happy... The jumping opponents just annoy me...

Then there is those parts where I miss streak
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one wonder what kind of acrobatics you can do while jumping, outside of tes universe
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When was the last time you changed direction mid-jump irl? Physics don't really allow for that.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have been around during release, when the only way to jump over something was to approach it at a run exactly perpendicular to the object. Approach a wall at an angle, your not getting over it unless you timed your jump perfectly and hit the wall at your apex.

As for being able to move while in the air after jumping, that was a weird mechanic in the single player TES games. I mean really, can you run and jump in the air and change your vector?

As for being next to something and jumping forward, which is a natural thing to do do, they got it good just before One T, then did something to mess it up, then fixed it but not as good as the initial fix.

Best advice, always jump while moving, and jump before you get to what your jumping over.

And, hope they put the original fix back in that made the jumping a non issue again.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Climb out of the river in Fungal Grotto! You can do it! Allow me to demonstrate "how" by failing 10 times after I got up on the first try.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    Climb out of the river in Fungal Grotto! You can do it! Allow me to demonstrate "how" by failing 10 times after I got up on the first try.

Oh I know that feeling. It's especially embarrassing when you're a tank :D. If a DPS fails a skip (in any dungeon), it's ok. If a tank does... Everyone makes fun of him.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont like that your horizontal movement speed has no impact on your jump ability. Here is what I mean. You build a character that has amazing movement speed. You run off of a cliff at full speed, and you fall through the air with same horizontal velocity as you had when you hit the edge of a cliff. This makes sense based on the laws of motion as we understand them.

You do the same thing but instead jump right before the edge of the cliff. In this case it feels like you hit a brick wall. Your Horizontal Velocity gets hammered.

The simple test. You have 2 characters run to the edge of the cliff at full speed. One jumps, the other does not. The person who jumped should travel more distance, but in game, the opposite is true. And yes, I have tested this.
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's interesting is that jumping was not borked for the first two years of the game. The stuck in midair slow fall bug was relatively recent.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The removal of momentum from streak always bothered me
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play on console where you have to use the PS4 button remapping to get jump
    off of X other then that trying to jump mounted or orthwise when an insect or butterfly is nearby and nope l, no jump.
  • Avrael
    Avrael
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess its kiiiinda real that you cant fully move in other directions mid jump, but you'd be able to fall a bit faster or jump onto something when you stand exactly before it. And the most annoying thing is, that, how others already wrote, if you run or sneak or take a dumb, it does not change the velocity of the jump... at least not like it should. X-x
  • dusk194
    dusk194
    ✭✭
    I just hate the slow fall. Just make me fall at a normal rate so i don't have to sit through an imposed time out, while my 120lb dunmer falls like a feather in an updraft. Very realistic and not immersion breaking at all :/
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont like that your horizontal movement speed has no impact on your jump ability. Here is what I mean. You build a character that has amazing movement speed. You run off of a cliff at full speed, and you fall through the air with same horizontal velocity as you had when you hit the edge of a cliff. This makes sense based on the laws of motion as we understand them.

You do the same thing but instead jump right before the edge of the cliff. In this case it feels like you hit a brick wall. Your Horizontal Velocity gets hammered.

The simple test. You have 2 characters run to the edge of the cliff at full speed. One jumps, the other does not. The person who jumped should travel more distance, but in game, the opposite is true. And yes, I have tested this.

Sometimes it like hitting an invisible wall, you jump and your character ceases any forward progression and falls straight down the edge from which they jumped.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • SosRuvaak
    SosRuvaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avrael wrote: »
    Because everything about the big bugs and problems get ignored, lets try adressing a small Problem that extremly annoying. =D

Why are Characters jumping like theyre tripping in the air on an invisible wire? And why do you have 0 Control over them when youre in the Air? It's very annoying that everything in the jump is determined by the Moment youre leaving the ground. I mean, if you think about it, there is a lot in the game you can or have to jump over, and its VERY hard to get the jump right from the beginning, mostly you will get stuck in the object, and if you have a REALLY bad day, you get the Bug where you slide reeeaaaaly slowly to the ground, which can take up to 20 Minutes.

I dont have hopes that a Dev will read this, but ill ask you all if youre as annoyed by this as i am, or have another opinion maybe.

that slow slide bug happens only on the bad days, just to make the day worse.
    its seriously the only bug that actually pisses me off, mostly everything else is just amusing.
    For the Pact!
    ~Sump Scales~
    Lusty Argonian Nightblade
    ~Baron Humbert von Gikkingen~
    Smokes-His-Greens
    ~Ruvaak~
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be cool if you could keep your momentum while jumping. Hate when I have a speed buff, then jump and the game completely ignores my current speed.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WhiteMage wrote: »
    When was the last time you changed direction mid-jump irl? Physics don't really allow for that.

Physics? really, have you actually played this game? tell me how physics allows you to carry all that stuff in your bag? go on I'd love to hear it.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Insomnia rex
    Insomnia rex
    ✭✭✭
    Zaldan wrote: »

Physics? really, have you actually played this game? tell me how physics allows you to carry all that stuff in your bag? go on I'd love to hear it.

As the character is - even after getting its soul back - lore wise a lesser deadra of molag baal (you do not have your original corpse/body, that is still rotting where you were sacrificed), I'd like to argue that the inside of our bag is our own pocket dimension which for a deadra will naturally grow with power.
    CP630 AR20 PC EU, Alt Mag Sorc AD - Insomnicia Rex
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

When was the last time you sprinted all the way up a mountain-side during a snowstorm without stopping?

Some rules are better off being slightly broken if it leads to superior gameplay and QOL. Being able to make minor adjustments to jump direction mid-jump is one of them. What baffles me about ESO is you can't even control the height of your jump by how long you hold the jump button for - something that's standard in other MMOs and makes perfect sense even with your precious physics. And that slowfall bug can definitely sod off.
    Edited by Darkstorne on July 3, 2017 4:37PM