Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Posting again because no one helps... host_authfail error after PC/Mac Patcher Update - 6/27

moreliusub17_ESO
moreliusub17_ESO
Soul Shriven
HI guys,

Need some help here, plz!

Today I launched the game via Launcher and got the PC/Mac Patcher Update - 6/27, it re-launched but got an host_authfail error. I have tried to run as Admin to no avail. Now I can't run the game...

However I can launch the game directly from eso64.exe with no problems.

So my questions are:

1. How can I fix the Launcher?
2. Can I play from eso64.exe? Would that create problems?
3. Anyone has the same problem?

Here are my specs:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1050T
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88T-M/USB3 (AM3)
Graphics
HP 2310 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 ATA Device (SATA)

Thanks in advance!
  • silirat
    silirat
    Soul Shriven
    Have you tried restarting the computer?

According to ESO support, if you get this problem from the launcher, you should reinstall. Which seems like a lot of downloading. There doesn't seem to be a repair for the launcher though.

The launcher does updates, so you could play using the EXE until there is an update (if it works then it works, right?)

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36568/~/what-do-i-do-if-i-get-a-host_authfail-error-when-running-the-eso-launcher?
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can happily use the eso.exe instead of the launcher to play when not updating the game, most of us do that anyway.

To fix the launcher try deleting the thing then download it again from your account page (click the Download Game" button there). It should just install the launcher again and when that's done it'll say either "repair" or "play" so repair it if it says but don't run game yet...then using the Game Options cog thingy on launcher run "check for updates" and then run "repair" again. Maybe that will fix it.
  • bennysbeastb16_ESO2
    as many have said, just reinstall the launcher, grab it from your ESO account page, download and install over the top, (dont uninstall anything).

*** Intel Core i9-7940x ***
    *** MSI Ventus 2080TI ***
    *** 32 GB DDR4 2400Mhz ***
    *** Creative Zxr Soundcard ***
    ***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***
  • moreliusub17_ESO
    moreliusub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all!!

Yes, I am currently playing from the .exe file and I have had no problems at all.

Just a question remains... how do you guys patch or update the game manually? Is there a way to download the files?

Thanks again :smile:
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't update the patch manually. That's the main (and only) reason we use the launcher (we = those who launch the game from the exe file).
    That's why you need to re-download the launcher, in the hope that reinstalling it over itself will fix your issue.

• moreliusub17_ESO
    moreliusub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    You can't update the patch manually. That's the main (and only) reason we use the launcher (we = those who launch the game from the exe file).
    That's why you need to re-download the launcher, in the hope that reinstalling it over itself will fix your issue.

Hi! Yes, I am trying to reinstall the launcher, but it wants to download the whole game and gives me no choice to only install the launcher. How do I install the launcher itself?

• bennysbeastb16_ESO2

Hi! Yes, I am trying to reinstall the launcher, but it wants to download the whole game and gives me no choice to only install the launcher. How do I install the launcher itself?

just download the launchers from your account page, it will be older version than the live version, just launch exe.. and it will probably say repair, but it will install it over the top, next time you open the launcher it will redownload the live launcher files, and hopefully let you progress to click play.
    Edited by bennysbeastb16_ESO2 on June 30, 2017 10:14AM
    *** Intel Core i9-7940x ***
    *** MSI Ventus 2080TI ***
    *** 32 GB DDR4 2400Mhz ***
    *** Creative Zxr Soundcard ***
    ***2TB M2 nvme SSD ***
    *** Corsair 1200W PSU***
    *** Windows 10 x64 ***