The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PVE vs PVP build basics: please explain

murdomac101
murdomac101
✭✭✭
As the title says. I think if I had a better understanding then I'd have an easier time making my own builds instead of looking at others' builds.

My most basic of understandings is that high crit is better for pve and high damage and/or penetration is better for pvp.
  • pizzaow
    pizzaow
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming you are talking about DPS builds... tanking and healing would be a little different.

In PvE you are more concerned with high sustainable damage (e.g. training dummy).

Most PvP builds are focused on high burst damage (proc sets).

Also, heavy armor is more useful in PvP (i.e. surviving the burst damage), where in PvE you rely on healers for your survivability, so medium armor for stamina builds and light armor for magic is most common.
    XBox/NA GT: Pizzaow
  • murdomac101
    murdomac101
    ✭✭✭
    pizzaow wrote: »
    I'm assuming you are talking about DPS builds... tanking and healing would be a little different.

In PvE you are more concerned with high sustainable damage (e.g. training dummy).

Also, heavy armor is more useful in PvP (i.e. surviving the burst damage), where in PvE you rely on healers for your survivability, so medium armor for stamina builds and light armor for magic is most common.

Hey. Thanks for your reply. I'm aware that often you need to choose between high sustain or burst, or have a combo of the two but then neither being as punchy as if it were the sole build focus.
    I didn't realise pve favours sustain and pvp burst.

Can you explain some of they key difference in crit, weapon/spell damage, and penetration? And which are relevant to pve and pvp?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pizzaow wrote: »

Hey. Thanks for your reply. I'm aware that often you need to choose between high sustain or burst, or have a combo of the two but then neither being as punchy as if it were the sole build focus.
    I didn't realise pve favours sustain and pvp burst.

Can you explain some of they key difference in crit, weapon/spell damage, and penetration? And which are relevant to pve and pvp?

They are relevant in both, only crit resistance is PvP only.

Crit chance is the most efficient way to increase damage, in PvE (and I think PvP) 60ish to 70% is more than enough. Spell/weapon DMG is like your damage foundation, and everything else modifies that. Penetration I important in both, that's why sharpened is BiS, in PvE you can know the exact armor rating of the NPCs and a group can maximize their penetration, in PvP it's great against killing heavy armor but worthless against shields, it's about preference , but you'll always use 10k penetration in PvP (you'll never over penetrate)

So you want - 2k-3kish -Edit: Unbuffed weapon/spell dmg- (Stam usually stacks more weapon DMG than magicka does spell damage) preference of crit rating, and 10kish + ish Penetration all depending on preference for PvP
    Edited by Waffennacht on June 29, 2017 8:24AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the title says. I think if I had a better understanding then I'd have an easier time making my own builds instead of looking at others' builds.

My most basic of understandings is that high crit is better for pve and high damage and/or penetration is better for pvp.

Balance, make shure your stats are well balanced and always remember=>defence first!!no use having high da mage and no defence. Priority should be substain>>damage absorbability>>damage output
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvE is all about long term sustained damage with big crit damage.

PvP is about burst windows and survivablilty, depending on your spec you may run some pressure damage with dots but kills ultimately come down to surviving your opponents burst and countering with your own burst when opportunity presents itself, like when they are CC'd/block is down.
  • murdomac101
    murdomac101
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. All this is all v helpful advice.