Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

GAME SAVES AUTOMATICALLY OR WHAT?

highpriestess
I have no idea i just played for the first time today.... does it save at the wayshrines or what
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you log out, you'll see that your level and everything else has been saved. Yes.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Anthony45122
    Anthony45122
    ✭✭✭
    MMO games don't need to be saved at any point in time by you. The game is in an ever constant state so wherever you leave off that is where you will come back at. Games rollback accounts usually for exploits but that is about the only time you will find yourself "in the past" of the game.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are periodic savestates by the game. You'll notice, unfortunately, that there are times the game will kick you out and you'll find yourself just a TOUCH backwards in time - about 5 to 10 minutes.

I've been the unfortunate victim of this, but since the saves are close enough, it's easy to recover from.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmos are effectively saved as you play them. You could go to another house, download the game, log in as yourself and you would carry on from where you left off.

You might sometimes find if you quit inside a dungeon, when you log back in your outside it, but you will not loose any items etc you picked up.

And logically if you log off inside a keep your alliance owns, you could log back in to find you no longer own it, I don't know what happens in pvp situations like that but I'm sure someone who has done just that can shed light on how it works.

So don't worry, it's all saved on zenimax servers
  • firegreenz303
    firegreenz303
    Soul Shriven
    I just played for a couple hours last night and then my game froze and restarted my player or my progress didn't save what do I have to do for it to save?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't make the game save for you, other than logging out or quitting the game.

Some people have lost progress because they logged into the NA Server, got kicked, then inadvertently logged into the Euro server, or vice versa. So, make sure you logged into the same server. Although if your character was there to load, you probably logged into the correct server. The above mostly happened to brand new characters they started.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other than logging out periodically, there's not much you really can do. Normally the game will do automatic saves every few minutes.

Unfortunately there will be times when the servers will be rolled back to a previous state and any progress you may have made will essentially be lost.
    Edited by Fruitmass on June 12, 2015 5:42PM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Avensedora
    Avensedora
    Soul Shriven
    What if I screwed up & want to go back to before I did it? There's no way to do that?
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    <3 all the new single-player gamers trying out ESO. Welcome to the world of MMOs.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avensedora wrote: »
    What if I screwed up & want to go back to before I did it? There's no way to do that?

the closest you get to resetting a decision is to abandon the quest & start it again from the beginning or in extreme circumstances deleting the character and creating a new one.

what is it that you want to undo though - people may be able to offer better advice

btw the thread may be closed because its considered bad forum etiquette to post on an old thread (for reasons i do not understand)
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solgra? Is that you?

(But yes everyone above is right, there's no "saving" in MMO's. So no, you can't do something then go pack to an earlier save)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Avensedora wrote: »

If it is quest you have NOT finished, you can quit/forfeit/drop/cancel it (from quest log/journal) and find the source from which you got it (usually some character or item), get it again and play it from beginning. But once you finish some quest you cant ever do it again with that one character you finished it with. (unless it is daily quest that you can get and complete once a day)
    Edited by SodanTok on June 24, 2017 9:21PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked this very same question in WOW ten or so years ago . lol Yes , all MMOs auto save your game . Welcome to ESO .
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I've been playing a lot of single-player games and then come back to MMOs the two features I miss most are save/load and pause. Playing without them feels really wrong at first, but you do get used to it.

(Fortunately it never seems to go the other way for me - I never forget to save in a single-player game.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked OP joined March 2014... And was last seen May 2014...

She made it two months
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this is an old thread from 2014 and the original poster may no longer be around, we've decided to close this thread.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.