The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

When farming gold in public dungeons, is it good to be in a group?

Dracindo
Dracindo
✭✭✭✭✭
First of all, I'm sure you have a better way to farm gold, but I enjoy this way and it works for me. No need to recommend something else.

I've been running Vile Manse and other public dungeons for a while now, and I've been earning good gold on it. However, currently I'm facing a problem: Other players.
When the typical Sorc Master Class players arrive, they steal all my trash mobs. I'm trying to deal as much damage as I can, but doing so drains my stamina fast (I'm not fully build yet (which is a reason why I farm gold)), and I gain 1/3 of the gold that I gain when I'm alone.

Now for the question: If I were to group up, would the amount of gold I gain decrease, increase, or be the same (except that my group member(s) will also gain gold)?

The pro of being in a group, is that groups of mobs will die faster, and my armor will most likely take less damage if mobs target group members.
But if the same rule goes, and you gain gold depending on your own damage dealt, then it seems less apetizing to me to do so. The big guys won't accept my invite because they know I'll just profit from them, and I won't accept random guys because of the same reason. I would do it for guild members, though.

So to break it down abit, I know that a group of 4 dedicated members can earn more XP, but does that also go for gold?
Can someone explain my how gold gains work when in a group?
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To give an example:

Let's say I deal 100% of the damage to 1 mob and earn 50 gold.
    If I were to deal 50% of the damage to the same mob, I would've earned 25 gold.
    If I dealt 50% of the damage, but the other 50% was dealt by my group member, would that mob drop 25 or 50 gold?
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question, awaiting some responses.

As preposterous as it sounds I've been thinking of making a prosperous set specifically for gold farming in public dungeons. (that's about all I can add)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PC EU
    Qura Scura | Altmer | MagBlade
    Lhylyth | Breton | MagPlar
    Nhynyth | Khajiit | MagDK
    Ghwynyth | Dunmer | MagSorc
    Loots-All-Urns | Argonian | MagDen
    Shades-Of-Gray | Argonian | StamDK
    Or'Chastration | Orc | StamSorc
    Little Miss Famished | Orc | StamCro
    Fhane Sharog | Orc | StamDen
    Dead Moons Rising | Khajiit | StamBlade
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be frank?

NO.

There is more gold in those crates and urns when you sell what you loot out of them thru a guild store, than on those NPCs people run around and kill. Esp if you crit and get an Imperial Motif.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    There is more gold in those crates and urns when you sell what you loot out of them thru a guild store, than on those NPCs people run around and kill. Esp if you crit and get an Imperial Motif.

I only find lockpicks, white provisioning items, 0 gold worth gear, racial traits that sell for change, and my best find was a purple furnishing design.
    I earn more than 10.000 gold per 45-60 minutes doing these NPC killing sprees. I need to loot those crates and urns for at least 5 hours before I can even come close to that.
    I rather work for my gold, rather than trying to win a lottery.
    PLUS: If I ever do find one, I'm learning it myself.

Edited by Dracindo on June 22, 2017 12:31PM
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would run a few tests. Do it solo for 30 minutes and see how much gold you get, then do it with a group and see how much gold you get.

I know when I ran a test with 2 players I did get a little more gold and it cost less for repairs.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I would run a few tests. Do it solo for 30 minutes and see how much gold you get, then do it with a group and see how much gold you get.

I know when I ran a test with 2 players I did get a little more gold and it cost less for repairs.

When I get home, I'll try this out. Reduced armor repairs does sound nice.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Armor degradation has to do with XP earned, not hits taken. Otherwise tanks would be punished for doing a good job.

Edit: It also degrades when you die.
    Edited by Danksta on June 22, 2017 1:24PM
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracindo wrote: »
    vamp_emily wrote: »

When I get home, I'll try this out. Reduced armor repairs does sound nice.

For the sake of testing, though, try it 10 or so times for about 30 mins and then take the average of those 10 sessions.
    It will get you better and more reliable data, if only a little. ;)
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I thought the way you farm gold in public dungeons was by collecting rubedo leather scraps, no?
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    Wow this is interesting. I always thought that everyone got the same amount of gold regardless of if it was just you or in a group. However, I am not well-versed in dungeons.... so following this post will help me a great deal.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tested it enough (only once, really), but this is what I've discovered running with a group of 3 players (me included) in public dungeons:
    • Shared gold. While I normally get 30-170 gold per group of 5 mobs, I now saw values of 10-70 gold.
    • Items drop as frequently as usual.
    The pro of running with a group is that you can clear mobs faster, so long as they deal some good damage too and have the same goal of being in the dungeon.
    So if they're only there to kill all the bosses and finish the quests, you'll end up doing all the work, earning less gold while they earn gold for waiting on the next boss.
    And even if they don't deal as much damage as you, it may still go faster, but for the clearing speed I gained in comparisson to the gold I've earned, going solo was more profitable.

I don't have the exact gold values, but on a 30 minute run, I averagely gained:
    • Solo: 7 000 gold
    • Group: 4 500 gold
    This is raw gold profit, by the way. Found gear that I sold not added. (sold all gear from both runs for avg. 1000-2000 gold)

So in other words, if you group up, make sure that clearing those mobwaves and cycling through the dungeon goes twice as fast as when you do it solo.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the way you farm gold in public dungeons was by collecting rubedo leather scraps, no?

One of those scraps sells all good as what an imperial mob drops for gold, and I need to pay to list the scraps. And those imperials casually drop gear that could have Ornate on it. But I'm willing to give it a try, if you can point me to a good public dungeon for farming Rubedo leather.