Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stamina Class Differences

Breidr
Breidr
So I've been goofing off and getting accustomed to the game. I want to get a little more serious with my character choices.

I'm going to play a Nord, which has health and stamina traits. I take this to mean I should focus on a stamina build over a magica build.

I thought this would narrow down the classes but everyone can do everything! A stamina based sorcerer? I would have thought it madness.

I've at least narrowed down the kind of build my race wants I suppose, so that's something. Now I'm just here to ask how the different classes play when it comes to stamina?
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar to magicka classes.

NB is stealthy and strong burst
    DK is tanky with good DPS
    Sorcerer is good mobility and AOE
    Templar i dont know much, probably good self heal

They all do fine if you enjoy playing them :)
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stam sorc is pretty distinct in this game...and it's a super fun class.

Nords are indeed inclined to stam builds. Their racial passives mitigate incoming damage, increase health and health recovery,..then you also get a little boost to max stamina. This makes them good as tanks, or pretty tanky dps builds. They've never pump out the damage a dps stam race will (Khajiit, redguard), but they'll hold their own.

Stam builds draw strongly from weapon skills for their damage. As such, different stam classes can play quite similar. My stam sorc back bars the exact same bow skills my stamblade uses. (And in fact, I've died a couple of times when I've tried to "cloak" my sorc by accident...d'oh). As such, and stam class can use a lethal dual wield bar with great restore and dps, a pretty solid bow bar for DOTs, and a 2h bar that can step in to cover any missing abilities (splash damage, gap close, heal-maj brutality)

That said, here's my feedback on stam classes playing as a Nord:

Nightblade: probably not the best choice. NBs depend on burst damage for success, and the Nord is going to slow things down a bit. Still, the health might help offset their squishiness. Still, of the five classes this is one I'm seeing as weakest for Nord.

DragonKnight: ah, the tanky tankerson of tank town. Nords make excellent DKs. You're going to have pretty low dps (lowest of any class) but you'll survive like a son of a gun. (Fun fact, this refers to babies illegitimately conceived in the canon hold during a long sea voyage). I find stam DK boring, but if you like playing slow and hard as a knight in shining armor this works. But if you do go DK, be aware you don't HAVE to be tanky. Putting points into stamina and wearing medium armor wil boost your dps while still leaving you pretty tanky.

Templar: I think of my stam Templar as like 20% more powerful and 20% less tanky than my DK. This makes it more fun. He relies on a lot of weapon skills, then uses class skills to buff...with the exception of jabs, which is a veeeeery powerful class ability. Stamplars are in your face, noisy and rough. I like playing them, and a Nord would make a tough stamplar.

Sorcerer: stam sorcs are pretty dang fun, actually. You end up with very few class skills...five, I think. But those five are pretty hard core. They round out their bars with lots of weapon abilities...maybe even some fighters guild. Stam sorcs destroy with aoe effects. I haven't played too much with the new caltrops, but I'm eager to triple play my stam sorc w that, grothdarr and hurricane. He just slaughters mobs...utterly sick. Stam sorcs also spend a lot of time in the enemy's face, so I'm thinking the Nord passives will be nice for a stam sorc.

Warden: new kid on the block. I do have a vet Warden (stamden). I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to feel about him in the end...I like the class so far, but I don't feel done with ability/set tweaks. He's got a ton of useful abilities to toss in with the weapon mainstays...the cliff diver is a nice ranged attack to bring in, and buff skills are strong. But he feels like his dps is slightly under my stamplar, which is a concern. However, like I said this is a build in progress. I need to find a better secondary set for him, and am considering which will best boost his Dps.

Overall, I have no idea what your preferences are for play style so I can't really recommend a class, but as a broad generalization for a very new player I might lean toward Templar. They're generally well rounded, and come into the necessary abilities early on to make life a little easier on a first toon.

• Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who plays as Nord on various classes. Nord is in a bad spot atm, both for PvE and PvP, if you want anything but tanking. And even as a tank, it is not BiS race. I have made this table in my own opinion on how god is stamina race compared to others. I have not included Imperial, since idk if you have imperial edition. 1 represents best choice, imho.
    11joh13.png
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enslaved wrote: »
    As someone who plays as Nord on various classes. Nord is in a bad spot atm, both for PvE and PvP, if you want anything but tanking. And even as a tank, it is not BiS race. I have made this table in my own opinion on how god is stamina race compared to others. I have not included Imperial, since idk if you have imperial edition. 1 represents best choice, imho.
    11joh13.png

I'm curious Enslaved how you'd rate imperial on your chart. Mainly for Warden and Templar (the two classes I mainly play).

I've never played a Nord before but when I look at their passives that 6% damage reduction seems pretty nice, along with the 20% health regen and almost 10% bonus to health and stamina. It seems pretty tough. Is everyone just leaning more heavily on needing that stamina regen thus they choose redguard as the BiS? If that was the case, why don't they choose Bosmer more? I'm just curious if you know these answers as my stamina characters are generally Imperial (even though I prefer the Breton race itself for rp reasons) and it seems to work fine but if somethings truly WAY better I'm open for suggestions lol.
    Edited by Zardayne on June 21, 2017 6:20PM
  • murdomac101
    murdomac101
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »

Nords are indeed inclined to stam builds. Their racial passives mitigate incoming damage, increase health and health recovery,..then you also get a little boost to max stamina. This makes them good as tanks, or pretty tanky dps builds. They've never pump out the damage a dps stam race will (Khajiit, redguard), but they'll hold their own.

Stam builds draw strongly from weapon skills for their damage. As such, different stam classes can play quite similar. My stam sorc back bars the exact same bow skills my stamblade uses. (And in fact, I've died a couple of times when I've tried to "cloak" my sorc by accident...d'oh). As such, and stam class can use a lethal dual wield bar with great restore and dps, a pretty solid bow bar for DOTs, and a 2h bar that can step in to cover any missing abilities (splash damage, gap close, heal-maj brutality)

Nightblade: probably not the best choice. NBs depend on burst damage for success, and the Nord is going to slow things down a bit. Still, the health might help offset their squishiness. Still, of the five classes this is one I'm seeing as weakest for Nord.

DragonKnight: ah, the tanky tankerson of tank town. Nords make excellent DKs. You're going to have pretty low dps (lowest of any class) but you'll survive like a son of a gun. (Fun fact, this refers to babies illegitimately conceived in the canon hold during a long sea voyage). I find stam DK boring, but if you like playing slow and hard as a knight in shining armor this works. But if you do go DK, be aware you don't HAVE to be tanky. Putting points into stamina and wearing medium armor wil boost your dps while still leaving you pretty tanky.

Templar: I think of my stam Templar as like 20% more powerful and 20% less tanky than my DK. This makes it more fun. He relies on a lot of weapon skills, then uses class skills to buff...with the exception of jabs, which is a veeeeery powerful class ability. Stamplars are in your face, noisy and rough. I like playing them, and a Nord would make a tough stamplar.

Sorcerer: stam sorcs are pretty dang fun, actually. You end up with very few class skills...five, I think. But those five are pretty hard core. They round out their bars with lots of weapon abilities...maybe even some fighters guild. Stam sorcs destroy with aoe effects. I haven't played too much with the new caltrops, but I'm eager to triple play my stam sorc w that, grothdarr and hurricane. He just slaughters mobs...utterly sick. Stam sorcs also spend a lot of time in the enemy's face, so I'm thinking the Nord passives will be nice for a stam sorc.

Warden: new kid on the block. I do have a vet Warden (stamden). I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to feel about him in the end...I like the class so far, but I don't feel done with ability/set tweaks. He's got a ton of useful abilities to toss in with the weapon mainstays...the cliff diver is a nice ranged attack to bring in, and buff skills are strong. But he feels like his dps is slightly under my stamplar, which is a concern. However, like I said this is a build in progress. I need to find a better secondary set for him, and am considering which will best boost his Dps.

Overall, I have no idea what your preferences are for play style so I can't really recommend a class, but as a broad generalization for a very new player I might lean toward Templar. They're generally well rounded, and come into the necessary abilities early on to make life a little easier on a first toon.

great synopsis. thanks. what do you tend to run with on your stam sorc bar? I've not long levelled one...loving it but still figuring out what works for me!
  • Breidr
    Breidr
    davey1107 wrote: »

This is a great post and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all of the wonderful info. A lot of what I'm seeing is pointing towards Stamina DKs, but I know that's not the end all be all of classes, and it was nice to have someone describe the other classes.

Ironically, I'm kind of leaning towards a Nord Stamina Sorcerer. It may not be Optimal, but a worshiper of Kyne bathed in lightning seems like a really cool thing.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think over half the battle is finding that class/race combo you feel is a really cool thing. I think that's all that matters in the end.