Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stamblade heals

Grinzzer62
I am having trouble with what heals I want I am currently using swallow soul and invigorating drain but, it seems when I'm fighting like a dungeon boss I can only beat him by continueing to use drain and keep my dot up and no longer use other abilities but even then some times I don't last the fight, is there some kinda other heal I am missing or something better, I currently don't have vigor but looking into that soon same with leeching strikes just got to get to the lvl so I can grab it, I am running a bow/bow build stam all medium.
  • MrsPink
    MrsPink
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend spending a few hours in PvP to get vigor.
    GM of Dark Royalty
    PS4 EU
    Karma's just sharpening her nails and finishing her drink. She says she'll be with you shortly.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start using 2 hander on your stamblade. You´ll unlock Momentum (when you reach lvl 42 with the 2-hander skilline). When you can morph Momentum to "Rally". One of the best heals for stamina builds in the game. And as someone stated, do some pvp and try to unlock "Vigor".
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bow/bow? Damn...

Sorry, on topic: Vigor is a good burst heal and heals nearby allies, while Leeching strikes heals you with each light&heavy attack for 20 seconds.

I would recommend leeching strikes. If you weave light attacks you can heal yourself as much as vigor in the same amount of time (or close enough) and the buff even lasts longer, saving you alot of stamina. Since you're a bow/bow for some reason, this would be the best option, because:
    1. If you're solo, you don't need to heal anyone else, making one effect of Vigor useless.
    2. If you're in group, you are most likely fighting from a safe distance, so I assume you won't be close enough to allies to be able to heal them with your Vigor anyway.
    Also, every hit with leeching strikes gives a very little bit of stamina as well, and if you let it end, you get a nice stamina boost as well.

Vigor is a good skill to have available (and so is Caltrops), so aiming for that in Cyrodiil is adviced. Though I'd rather use leeching strikes for healing, except when I'm in a group for hard/end-game content or in Cyrodiil.
  • Grinzzer62
    Never thought about momentum, I was under the impresion that it wouldn't work unless I had a 2h equip, yea I'm working on vigor and leeching strikes now. Also never thought bout caltrops is it a must have for ranged ?, currently I'm using lethal arrow, swallow soul, shadowy disguise, expert hunter(for the crit), and invigorating drain, shadowy disguise and drain are currently place holders for leeching strikes and relentless focus, and now I'm thinking swallow soul could be a place holder if leeching heals for that much this is currently my ST bar, my back bar is my aoe bar and it's currently got poison injection, silver shards, endless hail, power extraction and reaping mark, but if momentum works like qbiken said I might have to switch that out for power, not entirely sure still wats best for ultimate either currently I got none really or atleast I never use them it seems.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    1st variant: vigor as said before
    2nd variant: leeching strikes

And few words more about 2nd variant.
    As you are bow user most of your weapon attacks are DoTs, and via bow passive (Hawk Eye) you increase your damage stacking light attacks. Another point it's can be used very effectively with relentless focus (as you dischage Assassin's Scourge after you every 5 LA). Using leeching strikes also will provide you good heal with LA.

PS: And i still can advise you to have 2H secondary. Even for pure ranger build. Momentum will provide you weapon dmg buff (that you can activate distantly and without entering combat unlike power extraction). And you can slot other buff or dot skills on that bar: cultrops, leeching strikes, lightweight trap, may be mark or webs. Leaving on your bow bar only PI, endless hail, spray, hunter and focus.

Puting and renewing DoTs while spamming LA with focus discharge will grant you both sustain and healing with somewhat good DPS.
    Edited by Stannum on June 14, 2017 1:45PM
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are a stamblade the best heals are vigor and rally as others have said. However, I would also recommend using fear and cloak as it gives you some survivability and agro loss.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Aldmeri Dominion Champion - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Ðazzler - Stamina Arcanist - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - DC
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grinzzer62 wrote: »
    I am having trouble with what heals I want I am currently using swallow soul and invigorating drain but, it seems when I'm fighting like a dungeon boss I can only beat him by continueing to use drain and keep my dot up and no longer use other abilities but even then some times I don't last the fight, is there some kinda other heal I am missing or something better, I currently don't have vigor but looking into that soon same with leeching strikes just got to get to the lvl so I can grab it, I am running a bow/bow build stam all medium.

EXACTLY THIS!

Just came back to an old STAMBALDE recently from my magblade and found heals completely lacking. its pretty impossible to keep enuff MAG sustain to power skills like SWALLOW SOUL, etc. for a STAM NB. A MAGBLADE has sooo many options for heals that are dual purpose (both dmg and a heal) it's ridiculous... a STAMBLADE has to look to a separate PVP skill line entirely just (VIGOR) to survive.

I found using BLOODTHIRST to be the only other semi effective combat heal that a STAMBLADE has. Interlace with LAs, HAs for some sustain. I want to look at BLOODCRAZE, but don't know if it's really worth the bar slot. Ultimately, because I was doing a lot of DW melee range fighting with my STAMBLADE I had to cobble together a set of BAHRAHAS CURSE to aid with dmg/cc/heals. At this point I'm almost as survivable as my MAGBLADE.. almost.

While we're at at, is BONESHIELD any good anymore? I hate that it changed to scale off health.
    Edited by QuebraRegra on June 14, 2017 6:28PM
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    Start using 2 hander on your stamblade. You´ll unlock Momentum (when you reach lvl 42 with the 2-hander skilline). When you can morph Momentum to "Rally". One of the best heals for stamina builds in the game. And as someone stated, do some pvp and try to unlock "Vigor".

I respect this advise, but after the era of WB,WB,WB,WB I will NEVER be a 2h meta spammer!!!!! NEVAH!!!!! Really I just don't care for the aesthetics.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracindo wrote: »
    Bow/bow? Damn...

Sorry, on topic: Vigor is a good burst heal and heals nearby allies, while Leeching strikes heals you with each light&heavy attack for 20 seconds.

I would recommend leeching strikes. If you weave light attacks you can heal yourself as much as vigor in the same amount of time (or close enough) and the buff even lasts longer, saving you alot of stamina. Since you're a bow/bow for some reason, this would be the best option, because:
    1. If you're solo, you don't need to heal anyone else, making one effect of Vigor useless.
    2. If you're in group, you are most likely fighting from a safe distance, so I assume you won't be close enough to allies to be able to heal them with your Vigor anyway.
    Also, every hit with leeching strikes gives a very little bit of stamina as well, and if you let it end, you get a nice stamina boost as well.

Vigor is a good skill to have available (and so is Caltrops), so aiming for that in Cyrodiil is adviced. Though I'd rather use leeching strikes for healing, except when I'm in a group for hard/end-game content or in Cyrodiil.

interesting... I did see LEECHING STRIKES reduces yer dmg! How noticeable/problematic is this? Anudder quesion on LEECHING STRIKES.. if you toggle it ON on bar then switch bars, does it stay on?
    Edited by QuebraRegra on June 14, 2017 6:30PM
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭

interesting... I did see LEECHING STRIKES reduces yer dmg! How noticeable/problematic is this? Anudder quesion on LEECHING STRIKES.. if you toggle it ON on bar then switch bars, does it stay on?
    Your info is obsolate. It's buff now not switch so it can be used from other bar/ And it does not reduce damage.
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stannum wrote: »

Your info is obsolate. It's buff now not switch so it can be used from other bar/ And it does not reduce damage.

huh? FEXTRALIFE is usually pretty up to date :( I guess I'll go check the natchpotes
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, this seems unclear to me:

Siphoning
    Leeching Strikes (Siphoning Strikes morph): This morph now converts the ability into a Stamina ability and causes your Light and Heavy Attacks to restore Stamina based on your character level, and an additional burst of Stamina when the effect ends.
    Siphoning Attacks (Siphoning Strikes morph): This morph now causes your Light and Heavy Attacks to also restore Magicka based on your character level, and an additional burst of Magicka when the effect ends.
    Siphoning Strikes:
    This ability now causes your Light and Heavy Attacks to restore Health instead of Magicka or Stamina.
    Increased the duration of this ability and its morphs to 20 seconds from 15 seconds.
    Reduced the cost of this ability and its morphs by approximately 50%.
    Recasting this ability or its morphs early will now always trigger the ending resource restore. The value of this restore is based on the length of time the abilities were active, similar to Rally's heal.
    Each Light or Heavy Attack from this ability or its morphs will now restore less resources, but the final burst at the end will restore more resources. The total resources restored by this ability will remain roughly the same.
    Developer Comments:
    Spoilerhide
    This is a significant reduction to the Magicka and Stamina restored by these abilities, but the addition of Health restore should give Nightblades more healing to improve their survivability. The changes also make the resource restore portion of these abilities better if you are not weaving Light Attacks perfectly, which is desirable for tanks and healers who spend time blocking or healing.

So how does this work exactly now? So LEECHING gives STAM and HEALTH now and is a 20 second versus toggle?
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    So how does this work exactly now? So LEECHING gives STAM and HEALTH now and is a 20 second versus toggle?
    Yes

PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back on top for the OP, lol...

Honestly, you're going to struggle with a bow/bow build. You're giving up a ton of benefits from the NBs full toolbox. Specifically, bows are made to provide massive dps. As such, they tend to debuffs enemies...leaving little help for you.

If you'd consider giving up one of the bow bars, dual wield has a TON of sustain abilities. And if you're a ranged murderer...I get you...my bow ganker gets you, lol. But try a dual bar with bloodthirst or blood craze. And the ultimate, rend, provides INSANE heals in a boss fight. And if you still want range, add shrouded daggers to your dual wield arsenal. People don't often talk about this one, but I cannot even tell you how much dps my stamblade pulls from it. It outperforms most bow abilities when used well. And shrouded gives you major brutality...so hitting once with it will give you 20 seconds of increased bow damage.

But as others have said, vigor would suffice too. But it's not that you're playing wrong or badly...I've been playing for years, and playing a bow/bow nightblade without vigor would be utterly impossible.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

EXACTLY THIS!

Just came back to an old STAMBALDE recently from my magblade and found heals completely lacking. its pretty impossible to keep enuff MAG sustain to power skills like SWALLOW SOUL, etc. for a STAM NB. A MAGBLADE has sooo many options for heals that are dual purpose (both dmg and a heal) it's ridiculous... a STAMBLADE has to look to a separate PVP skill line entirely just (VIGOR) to survive.

I found using BLOODTHIRST to be the only other semi effective combat heal that a STAMBLADE has. Interlace with LAs, HAs for some sustain. I want to look at BLOODCRAZE, but don't know if it's really worth the bar slot. Ultimately, because I was doing a lot of DW melee range fighting with my STAMBLADE I had to cobble together a set of BAHRAHAS CURSE to aid with dmg/cc/heals. At this point I'm almost as survivable as my MAGBLADE.. almost.

While we're at at, is BONESHIELD any good anymore? I hate that it changed to scale off health.

Why all the CAPS? :D
    Edited by Izaki on June 15, 2017 9:22AM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EXACTLY THIS!

Why all the CAPS? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjED1WYEtKY
  • Lexifer452
    Lexifer452
    ✭✭
    Vigor, the heal off of the killing blow with your execute and the heal from reaper's mark are probably you're best bet. Stop using swallow soul. On a stamblade you are not going to be doing enough damage with a magicka skill to get any kind of decent healing from it. If you're going to use a magicka damage skill for healing then that aoe mag morph of drain power would be better probably. Maybe. Probably still incredibly inefficient though.

Vigor though is really the only reliable heal stamina night blades have access to. Everything else is situational or heal a percentage of damage done. Don't get me wrong some of nb's skills that do heal on damage done are good but sometimes you really just need a dedicated healing skill or need a burst heal and can't wait for HoT ticks.
  • Grinzzer62
    Yea that's wat I thought vigor just looks to good to pass to in the end, it seems I might switch back to meele thoe bow/bow is great for st but more then 3 mobs I find it gets a little more all over the place, I was dw but I see every one saying 2h is it that much better
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Leeching Strikes! This one skill make my Stamblade fun again.
    PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar