Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Strategy to avoid "rebound mobs"?

Minyassa
Minyassa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I would never have imagined this would be a problem, but it's happened to me three times in the past week now, so I'm wondering how other people deal with this scenario:

I'm in a delve. Unbeknownst to me, there is another player ahead of me. Said player is sufficiently far ahead so that mobs have respawned and I am fighting them at my own, safe pace (I am not a high level monster yet). I am in the middle of combat with a group of mobs, and suddenly other player races through my area, trailing a train of mobs chasing him. My AoE hits them as they run through and they turn around and join the ones I'm already fighting and kill the living crap out of me.

I mean, is there a way to cancel an attack I already started, or what? How do I avoid suddenly getting creamed by someone's train? Is this just something that happens often and people sigh and hit the rez button?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they're hitting the AoE's then sadly no there is nothing you can do to stop this. The closest thing would be recast the AoE out of the way if you see it coming.

You could try having a shield or big heal on your bar if you've got access to one, throw that up as an emergency moment casts to try and get you through it.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, is there a way to cancel an attack I already started, or what?

This is now a animation cancel thread xD
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    I would never have imagined this would be a problem, but it's happened to me three times in the past week now, so I'm wondering how other people deal with this scenario:

I'm in a delve. Unbeknownst to me, there is another player ahead of me. Said player is sufficiently far ahead so that mobs have respawned and I am fighting them at my own, safe pace (I am not a high level monster yet). I am in the middle of combat with a group of mobs, and suddenly other player races through my area, trailing a train of mobs chasing him. My AoE hits them as they run through and they turn around and join the ones I'm already fighting and kill the living crap out of me.

I mean, is there a way to cancel an attack I already started, or what? How do I avoid suddenly getting creamed by someone's train? Is this just something that happens often and people sigh and hit the rez button?

It's especially worse in public dungeons. I don't know how many times someone pulling that stunt would do that when I'd be farming for that ONE piece of gear that I need (and am not willing to spend 250k on). Boss spawns, some PuG comes along with every single mob they tagged right when I set my AoE down and then proceed to pull every mob between me and them adding to the pile. By the time they get to me, it's pretty much too late and I have to babysit them. That's what ESO's pretty much turned into.

.. Unless I'm on my nightblade. Then I just cloak and watch them get rekt. Once they die, I go right in for the boss and guess who didn't get credit? That guy.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait till you find out about the tether mechanic, when you actually do want to aggro the mobs jogging past.

Your only option here is to pause your attacks for a sec, while group #2 runs through. Due to the tether/reset above, they will pay you no mind when they are running back to "base."
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • negbert
    negbert
    ✭✭✭✭
    Players should get tethered to agrod mobs. So annoying seeing people skipping them.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    negbert wrote: »
    Players should get tethered to agrod mobs. So annoying seeing people skipping them.

That could be so easily exploited...

To the OP - if I see other mobs running back to their initial spots...I just hold up for a second to let them reset. Then I continue on my way of slaughter. I figure by the time I get to the boss/skyshard I went into the delve in the first place...the boss will be respawned.

Yeah, it is frustrating to have that happen, but it's part of the game you need to figure out a way to make peace with and to deal with.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's sadly a function of new games/expansions: You will almost always get these players that fly through content at 100 miles an hour, training a pile of enemies behind them. They've distilled their enjoyment down to how fast they finish activity that is giving them said enjoyment. Which is fine, each to their own, but it is a problem when it starts to negatively affect other players, like yourself.

On the positive side, after a couple of weeks/months, the vast majority of these types of players have left. So hopefully in future, you'll be affected by others in this way less and less and you can enjoy the game more.

If you can be anything, be kind.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    On the positive side, after a couple of weeks/months, the vast majority of these types of players have left. So hopefully in future, you'll be affected by others in this way less and less and you can enjoy the game more.

Only to be replaced by a new batch of players who feel they need to rush through...it's a never-ending cycle...
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »

Only to be replaced by a new batch of players who feel they need to rush through...it's a never-ending cycle...

There are large gaps in between. It's a cycle certainly, but it does have a significant 'stop' before it starts up again with the next influx of players for whatever reason.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    negbert wrote: »
    @negbert, right...remember you asked for this the first time a mob glitches into a wall and you can't move, leave, or even log out.

Monumentally bad idea.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • medusasfolly
    medusasfolly
    ✭✭✭
    What everyone else said.... or you could join the race and pull your mob to them. Fair play, eh?
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's the mage's guild questers getting Sheogorath's macguffin , Mad God still finds a way to troll someone.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can cancel an attack by pressing block, dodge roll or bar swapping.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA