Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Restoration Staff - Am I Missing Something?

Ardaghion
Ardaghion
✭✭✭
Total noob question but since I can't find a definitive answer using search here or Google I have to ask if I'm doing something wrong with my restoration staff. I'm an Altmer Sorcerer at level 19 and my wife is a Bosmer Sorcerer at level 20. I was hanging around Vulkhel Guard as well as the local dolmen and noticed that I was getting healed by some other players, getting a sparkly golden glow and saw my health bar glow. At the dolmen I saw a player beaming health directly to another player, at least that's what it looked like. I've never used a restoration staff to directly heal someone, not even sure if I can.

So, anyway, I tried equipping a restoration staff and tried to use it on my wife. Nothing at all happened and I'm not sure why, any ideas? What am I doing wrong or missing?
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ardaghion wrote: »
    Total noob question but since I can't find a definitive answer using search here or Google I have to ask if I'm doing something wrong with my restoration staff. I'm an Altmer Sorcerer at level 19 and my wife is a Bosmer Sorcerer at level 20. I was hanging around Vulkhel Guard as well as the local dolmen and noticed that I was getting healed by some other players, getting a sparkly golden glow and saw my health bar glow. At the dolmen I saw a player beaming health directly to another player, at least that's what it looked like. I've never used a restoration staff to directly heal someone, not even sure if I can.

So, anyway, I tried equipping a restoration staff and tried to use it on my wife. Nothing at all happened and I'm not sure why, any ideas? What am I doing wrong or missing?

The Resto staff attacks like any other weapon. Pressing LMB does a light attack. Holding it channels a heavy attack.

The abilities you slot to your bar do the healing. These skills are unlocked with skill points and gain experience when you kill stuff or complete quests while theyre on your bar.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehehehe. Total noob question. But no worries man. we all been there and done that. When you left click resto staff does damage not heal. so you need to use that to damage monsters. If you want to use resto staff to heal your wife...... you have to use some of the skills that are unlocked under resto tree. you will see few skill show up once you kills a monster with the resto staff.
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, I'll take a look at my skill tree under resto staff.

So, what is it I'm seeing when I see a player sending what looks like a direct beam to another player? I saw that happen at a dolmen, the other player was outside the area on a high rock and shooting what I would describe as an energy beam. He even hit me with it and I was all sparkly for awhile.
  • apostate9
    apostate9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't "attack" a friend with it, simply slot one of the skills from the skill line while you have the staff equipped. What you saw sounds like the ability "regeneration". If you are very new to the staff, just carry the staff around and fight with it until you see that the resto staff skill line unlocks, then select one of the skills from that line for your bar. That will cause the line to level up faster, unlocking additional healing skills.
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill you are seeing is the "regeneration" skill, I think it's the 2nd one down the list. Morphs to rapid regeneration or mutagen, but they all have the same visual effect.
    NA PS4
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The skill you are seeing is the "regeneration" skill, I think it's the 2nd one down the list. Morphs to rapid regeneration or mutagen, but they all have the same visual effect.

^
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rapid regen is sparkliies once it is applied to a player. Mutagen is orange spikey bits. The 'beams' to apply both to players do indeed look the same however. :)
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on June 15, 2017 2:19AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • RobbieRocket
    RobbieRocket
    ✭✭✭
    As the previous quality posts have explained, your staff attacks attack (light or heavy attack) and your staff slotted skills can heal.

Mutagen and Rapid Regeneration are both morphs of the base skill Regeneration. This is the thing you saw and thought was simply the Restoration Staff working (the animation shows that it is your weapon/staff performing the heal, but it is only a conductor of the slotted skill and so you must use the assigned button for the skill slot).

There are many more skills that will heal as well, there are a few in other skills lines but most of the healing skills are in the Restoration Staff skill line and the class skill lines: Restoring Light (Templar Class only) and Green Balance (Warden Class only).

Good luck!