Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Noob DK question

Groznor
Groznor
Soul Shriven
Hi! I've started playing just a couple of days ago, so the question is really noob one :)

I'm currently playing as a magicka DK in heavy armour and with fire staff and enjoying it a lot, and I'm also planning to become a vampire. However having read a couple of late-game PvP guides I noticed that people usually recommend to stick to light armour and there are no mentions of vampire abilities. So my question is whether there are any viable PvP builds for DKs in my configuration, or I should better start changing playing style?

I also wonder if there are any useful skills in Fighters and Mages Guilds, so that I could start learning them throughout the levelling?

Thank you for replies in advance! :)
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many magicka DK's run both heavy armor and vampire in PVP.

Armor weight has shifted slightly with the morrowind update making running light a little more viable, but I am guessing heavy is still the winner in terms of how many DKs are using it.

Many DK's also use vampire, specifically for mist form, so they have some mobility.

You probably wont be using fighters guild active abilities much, but a few of it's passives which do extra damage to daedra and werewolves and such? Get those.
    Mages guild? Level that all the way to 10 for the ultimate.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fighter's Guild- Dawnbreaker of Smiting is a very good cheap ultimate especially in Cyrodiil. If you plan on using DBoS you'll want to get the skilled tracker passive to do 20% extra damage to vamps and werewolves with FG abilities. The banish the wicked passive is useful for any build as it gives ult regen on vamp, werewolf and undead kills.

Mage's Guild- Meteor is a very strong ultimate and synergizes well with mag DKs when morphed to Shooting Star (fire damage). Inner Light (morphed from Magelight) Is nice for boosting your max magicka and spell crit. Entropy is a cheap source of major sorcery. Pretty much all the passives are useful in this skill line, especially the might of the guild passive which grant empower (20% damage on your next direct damage attack) any time you use a Mage's Guild ability.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Groznor wrote: »
    Hi! I've started playing just a couple of days ago, so the question is really noob one :)

I'm currently playing as a magicka DK in heavy armour and with fire staff and enjoying it a lot, and I'm also planning to become a vampire. However having read a couple of late-game PvP guides I noticed that people usually recommend to stick to light armour and there are no mentions of vampire abilities. So my question is whether there are any viable PvP builds for DKs in my configuration, or I should better start changing playing style?

I also wonder if there are any useful skills in Fighters and Mages Guilds, so that I could start learning them throughout the levelling?

Thank you for replies in advance! :)

Yes heavy armor and fire staff is pretty popular for magicka DKs in PVP, and about 99% of them are also vampires. The most common builds like this are using sword and shield on the back bar and something like one damage set (BSW, Sun, Julianos) combined with one sustain set (Seducer, Kagrenacs, Black Rose, Desert Rose).

Personally I like light armor, but it is somewhat rare these days for mDKs in PVP. Even after Morrowind patch, heavy armor is still by far the most common choice for anyone in PVP who is not mag sorc or ganker. One reason so many mDKs are vampires is because we lack mobility and large shields, so Elusive Mist and Undeath passive give us a little more mobility and a means of escaping when overwhelmed by enemies.

Everyone should be maxing out both Fighters Guild and Mages Guild. As magicka DK you especially want access to the Might of the Guild passive, meteor, degeneration/entropy, inner light, FG passives etc.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on June 13, 2017 6:44PM
  • Groznor
    Groznor
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you guys, a lot of interesting thoughts for me to play with! :smiley:
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magicka DK has all heavy armor. I craft my own armor, though, so I craft it in a set that boosts her magicka, and I use magic enchantments on it.
    Here's some info on crafted sets. You have to dedicate a lot of time to building up your crafting skills to be able to do it, though, so it will take time.
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets

Edited by SydneyGrey on June 14, 2017 7:24AM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say vampire on a magicka DK is needed. It offers mobiity (elusive mist) and surviveability (the passives and batswarm, pick the morph that heals you).
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    Banish the wicked fighters guild passive is boss. Gain 3/6/9 ultimate for every daedra and undead you kill. You can rack up ultimate fast in many dungeons this way.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    I would say vampire on a magicka DK is needed. It offers mobiity (elusive mist) and surviveability (the passives and batswarm, pick the morph that heals you).
    I disagree. I've been playing a DK with no vampirism for a half year, and never had a problem with surviveability. It's just a matter of what armor/enchantments you have, and what you use as your skills.