Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Two problems I'm having.

estrong20b14_ESO
1. Im always paying a bounty. I have to carefully watch my inventory for unlawful loots. Yes, it's the game.
2. The lockpick quests. I'm just terrible at it, even the easy ones. There should be an alternate way to enter buildings or continue quests.
  • Mayanpup
    Mayanpup
    ✭✭✭
    You receive a bounty anytime you are CAUGHT stealing, trespassing, killing livestock, etc. If you see the red colored "steal" word you must make sure you are hidden when taking items.

Chest lock picking.

1) TOTALLY IGNORE THE TIMING BAR. I repeat: TOTALLY IGNORE THE TIMING BAR. If you are paying attention to that you are wasting time needed to pick the lock.

2) Each lock has one of three positions that will lock it in place. As you push each rod it will start to do a quick wiggle. Release the mouse then push the same rod again until it clicks close to where you saw the wiggle. The positions are about 1/3 from the top, 2/3 from the top and all the way to the bottom. After a while it starts to become second nature. My success rate is 99% first try on Simple to Advanced and 95% on Master.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i almost always double tap the rod unless it goes to the bottom, next time I go to the position.
    This always work outside of master chests there i fail if to many almost to bottom bars or break pick but don't think I ever have failed on second try.

This is the simplest way to do it I think.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For bounty make sure you are not seen, best to steal places with few npc around.
    Doing the thief guild dailies give you writs why can be used to clear bounty. This is nice if you have loot you don't want to lose.
    You can also teleport to your home or an wayshrine in the wilderness, log on to another character or farm / grind in the wilderness
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. Im always paying a bounty. I have to carefully watch my inventory for unlawful loots. Yes, it's the game.
    2. The lockpick quests. I'm just terrible at it, even the easy ones. There should be an alternate way to enter buildings or continue quests.

You can force locks, simple ones with I think 90% success chance, if you unlock full Legedermain passives. It's actually really simple once you get used to it though, don't give up :) I remember it giving me heaps of trouble at the very start too, and now I haven't failed a master/advanced lock in months.
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use the crouch which generously tells you if you are hidden. Don't hit the button (E) to steal unless you see the eye icon close.

If all else fails and you are seen just remember this too will eventually result in an achievement.
    Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayanpup wrote: »
    1) TOTALLY IGNORE THE TIMING BAR. I repeat: TOTALLY IGNORE THE TIMING BAR. If you are paying attention to that you are wasting time needed to pick the lock.

2) Each lock has one of three positions that will lock it in place. As you push each rod it will start to do a quick wiggle. Release the mouse then push the same rod again until it clicks close to where you saw the wiggle. The positions are about 1/3 from the top, 2/3 from the top and all the way to the bottom. After a while it starts to become second nature. My success rate is 99% first try on Simple to Advanced and 95% on Master.

3) Practice, practice, practice. The more time you spend lockpicking, the easier it gets. There are two locked houses in Davon's Watch (Stonefalls, EP) where there aren't any guards or npc's that can spot you, and if you enter, you can immediatly leave without a bounty. Good for when you're unlucky at finding chests.
  • kalarro
    kalarro
    ✭✭✭

Are you maybe playing without sound? I think it's easy even without sound, but sound helps. Yesterday I cracked a lockpick and I was surprised, first I broke in months.
    Just stop when you think you are going to reach the limit. SOmetimes I release too soon, but never too late for it to break. Releasing to soon and just starting again makes you lose half a second, nothing that makes you loose all the time you have.