Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Online playing

boodles
boodles
Soul Shriven
Thanks for all the answers and advice. :)
Edited by boodles on June 8, 2017 11:15AM
A Noob

Best Answers

• Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, it's an MMO. Best advice is to play really late, when everyone should sleep. There will still be players online, but far less.
    Answer ✓
  • EvilKiwi
    EvilKiwi
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    No Lollygagging.
    Answer ✓
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, you can't.

ESO is an online multiplayer so you'll always be logged in and connected to thousands of other players. There are some areas in the game which are instanced and will let you be alone (story areas for quests) but otherwise it's part of the game and no way to disable it.

Some extra advice would be look for a new player friendly guild and you might find a group of friends to play with, this makes all the people around much more enjoyable as they're friends and guild mates.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracindo wrote: »
    Nope, it's an MMORPG. Best advice is to play really late, when everyone should sleep. There will still be players online, but far less.

just fixed that for you ;)
    Answer ✓
  • boodles
    boodles
    Soul Shriven
    Cool. Short and sweet answers. Thank y'all so much.
    A Noob
    Answer ✓
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you play in Morrowind it will be tons of other players around, if you feel its too many I would skip Morrowind now and go to the mainland and start the original main quest and quest or explore there, not so crowded so if you do an delve (small dungeon) it would might be one or two other players in it, not 20. Return to morrowind in a two weeks.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Answer ✓
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came to ESO (from Oblivion and Skyrim) and stayed primarily because of the beautiful and massive scope of the game. That it is a multiplayer game is a drawback that I deal with.

In trying to make the most of it, I discovered my elf is quite nurturing and enjoys healing/supporting others. Indeed, her favorite questing in Oblivion or Skyrim was when paired as a 'sidekick' to an NPC. In exploring that theme, I found she quite enjoys the roll of healer and has gotten rather good at it. So when other players are around, she now views them as opportunities to potentially practice her craft. She still travels alone to leisurely enjoy the game (most players are in such a running hurry!) but now enjoys doing a dungeon where sometimes she is providing healing/support to others instead of simply solo fighting baddies.

Though she generally does not group, most other players don't mind having a healer behind them to help heal/buff. So I'm now finding that if she is truly alone in an area, that is good. However, if there are others around, that is fun too.

The technical part of your question has been well-answered. My ramblings here are clearly intended to possibly be worthy of consideration regarding the 'any advice?' portion of your question. :)
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on June 7, 2017 12:03PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Answer ✓
  • boodles
    boodles
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, drakhan2002. I thought I was the only person in the world to even own the game. You are so witty and clever. Everyone is impressed that you "called me down" on my ridiculous question. They must be nitwits too for having the odasidy to answer my question. Instead, they should have responded with an intelligent and informative comment too. I do apologize if my question upset you or ruined your day. I did not know that it was a sensitive subject for you. If you want, I can get my silly questions approved through you before I post them. That way the other players will be spared from my time-wasting and, apparently, insulting questions.
    This is a forum for players who are new to the game and need to ask questions. Don't be such a sarcastic, miserable person. Let people enjoy the game and do not try to 'bully' them or intimidate them or discourage them from asking questions. You did not respond to answer my question. You responded to my question with a question ("Did you think you were the only.....?")
    Someone should scold you for using this forum to ask such an inappropriate question. Just as you have me. Hateful.
    A Noob
    Answer ✓
  • SASQUATCH0
    SASQUATCH0
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's wrong with other people running around? I find it comforting when I'm up at 3am knowing there's other people on no lives lol
    Answer ✓
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you think you were purchasing when you bought the game? In case you are unaware, most things that are "online" are a shared service of some kind. For example, do you think you're the only person using a website or your web-based email?

If you want a solo, single-player experience purchase console games or non-online games.
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SASQUATCH0 wrote: »
    What's wrong with other people running around? I find it comforting when I'm up at 3am knowing there's other people on no lives lol

I agree - however, people live all over the world and in many different time zones. So...those people that are up at your 3 am...may simply be people up during their "day" or "evening". For example, a lot of Asia-Pacific folks (Aussies in particular) play on the NA server. It's 8:00 AM here, but there it might be 11:00 PM...
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one tends to enjoy her adventures with others despite meeting some rude people. Khajiit has made many friends along the way.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    boodles wrote: »
    Yes, drakhan2002. I thought I was the only person in the world to even own the game. You are so witty and clever.

Thank you, but I already know that!
    Everyone is impressed that you "called me down" on my ridiculous question. They must be nitwits too for having the odasidy to answer my question. Instead, they should have responded with an intelligent and informative comment too. I do apologize if my question upset you or ruined your day. I did not know that it was a sensitive subject for you. If you want, I can get my silly questions approved through you before I post them. That way the other players will be spared from my time-wasting and, apparently, insulting questions.
    This is a forum for players who are new to the game and need to ask questions. Don't be such a sarcastic, miserable person. Let people enjoy the game and do not try to 'bully' them or intimidate them or discourage them from asking questions. You did not respond to answer my question. You responded to my question with a question ("Did you think you were the only.....?")
    Someone should scold you for using this forum to ask such an inappropriate question. Just as you have me. Hateful.

Your tears...your angry tears...are so salty. I was just trying to help you out. You asked for advice...I gave you that.
    Edited by drakhan2002_ESO on June 7, 2017 1:43PM
  • boodles
    boodles
    Soul Shriven
    Well of course I knew what I was buying. I've had other games that you could play online or not. Your comment did not help me out. But if your intentions were good, then thank you.
    A Noob
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well of course I knew what I was buying. I've had other games that you could play online or not. Your comment did not help me out. But if your intentions were good, then thank you.

This would have been a more appropriate response to my statement - I was not trying to make you upset, angry, or whatever - I just wanted to understand if you knew what you were getting yourself into. In case you did not understand what a MMO is, I tried to explain it using an analogy, but it clearly failed. You stated that you knew what you were getting into.

I don't know anything about you other than what you posted. There are a lot of people who are "new to the Internet" or are mentally disabled in some way or (insert condition here) that makes not understand what this type of game is. Just trying to explain things so they make sense.
  • boodles
    boodles
    Soul Shriven
    Okay. Bye.
    A Noob