Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How argonians get their names

Cloudless
Cloudless
✭✭✭✭✭
The young argonian hesitates before the Tree-Minder's hut. It takes all of his courage to bother such a respected member of the tribe with what is no doubt a foolish question, but it's been nagging him for far too long now, keeping him distracted even when tending his guar, or fishing for food to bring to his egg-mother and egg-brothers. And so, taking a deep breath, he knocks.
"Come in, young one". The Tree-Minder's hut is dark and damp, filled with hanging herbs and dried snake skins, each of them serving purposes too obscure for the uneasy guest to even guess. "Tree-Minder", he says nodding deeply and respectfully, "I erect the spine of apologies."
"And what are you apologizing for, young one? I sense your unease, and that is no reason to feel apologetic."
"I...", his tongue feels dry, "I have questions."
"Then sit, and perhaps I shall be able to make the waters less murky, so that you'll be able to swim on unburdened by doubt."
"It's... you take part to the naming ceremony of each saxhleel in our tribe, right? I was wondering how does each of us get to be named the way he does."
"Ah, it's not the first time I hear such a question. You see, after each hatchling has licked the sap from our Hist, it is my duty to find him a name. Many things can suggest it. The yet-to-be-named hatchling's actions right after drinking the sap tell much about his future, his abilities, his personal talents. Sometimes it can be some significant change in their appearance. Take Stalks-the-Stars, for instance: after licking the tree, he stared at the night sky and chased around the hatching pools as if he was chasing torchbugs. Or Ember-Eyes: the sap has flowed through him, imbuing his eyes, once gray, with its bright orange hue. So you see, it is my duty not to name each of you, but to translate into words what the Hist has in store for you."
The young one sits quietly for a while, contemplating the Tree-Minder's words in silence. After several minutes, he nods and gets back up on his feet.
"I see. I erect the spine of gratitude, Tree-Minder. I hope I haven't wasted too much of your time."
The Tree-Minder smiles kindly.
"You have not. Stay moist, Craps-All-Over."
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that Bethesda will create Jel (argonion language) in the next TES game, because I don't know what does mean name of my argonian (Wuleen-Ze).
    Edited by Shardan4968 on May 30, 2017 12:24PM
    PC/EU
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG! Wasn't expecting that ending, I burst out laughing :D But I must say, very well written OP!
    PC/EU DC
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was awesome
    Edited by UrbanMonk on May 30, 2017 9:35AM
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny!

On another note though, I always thought they had saxhleel names from birth and took up a name that is easier for the common people of Tamriel to say during some kind of "coming of age" ceremony or something. Even those born into slavery would have a "sacred tribe" name and then a hyphenated name given to them later. They just seem like the kind of culture who might have a "true name" superstition. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_name
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Cloudless
    Cloudless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    On another note though, I always thought they had saxhleel names from birth and took up a name that is easier for the common people of Tamriel to say during some kind of "coming of age" ceremony or something. Even those born into slavery would have a "sacred tribe" name and then a hyphenated name given to them later. They just seem like the kind of culture who might have a "true name" superstition. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_name

Yes, as far as I remember that's how it really is :smiley:
    Edited by Cloudless on June 5, 2017 8:03AM