Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Choosing a house

ParadiseHunter
ParadiseHunter
Soul Shriven
Hello.
I play as Argonian nightblade and thought to buy a house.so here the dilemma. should I go on the Argnonian theme houses, which frankly looks like a big pile of *** (Humblemud) I want something exotic like the Grorinier estate.yet I don't have the necessary crowns. can I buy a house unfurnished and buy furnished to it later?

Best Answer

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy all of the houses for in-game gold. The furnishings they come with in the crown store aren't that special...honestly, in another few months they'll be selling for like 200 gold per item. It's pretty easy to furnish a small or medium home without ever spending a crown.

The Argonian homes are poopy, lol. For an Argonian? Hmmm. I like twin arches in bankorai as a super cheap house. But it has a yard with plenty of room...and it seems like a warm climate an Argonian would like. If you like Gorinir but don't have the cash, bouldertree refuge is really similar...a little smaller, but like 1/4 the price.
    Answer ✓
  • Swifigames
    Swifigames
    ✭✭✭
    Hello.
    I play as Argonian nightblade and thought to buy a house.so here the dilemma. should I go on the Argnonian theme houses, which frankly looks like a big pile of *** (Humblemud) I want something exotic like the Grorinier estate.yet I don't have the necessary crowns. can I buy a house unfurnished and buy furnished to it later?

I don't believe you can buy it unfurnished and then furnish it later, you'd have to pay crowns for furnishing sets or craft housing items yourself from blueprints you find on your journey in the game. The easiest way would be to perhaps buy furnishing sets from the crown store when you have more finances to decorate. The living room set in the crown store is currently 4000 crowns...comes with 24 items, the parlor pack is 750, and I see the lowest furniture set is sitting at 200 crowns and that's for the 'household necessities' pack. There are many more packs of different types in the CS, but the highest is 4000 and the lowest is 200...all crowns. I would think it couldn't be a bad option to just find recipe blueprints yourself and make your own decorations, but that's just me. Totally your choice tbh...do what makes you happy, and make good financial decisions irl.

If you think you'll go the decorate yourself route....and think you can squeeze out a little more crowns, it might not be a bad idea to pick up one of the larger noble homes...you'll receive a unique title depending on which one of those you get. I know they are a lot of crowns, but if you're going to spend crowns anyway why not get the best? I understand cash flow, etc...but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I'm absolutely dying for a larger noble home myself and I CAN do it right now and keep backing out for the past week as I want something with water and something sexy...I may just hold my crowns and see if a noble Grahtwood home will appear eventually. I really like the Gorinir Estate as well, but am disappointed it doesn't come with a water source of any type, which seems strange to me considering it's in Grahtwood :/
    I found myself a pretty reasonable Guild that bought the Strident Springs Demense, and if you're on good standing with a Guild who's Guildmaster owns a home you can practically call that home just the same as you would your own AND if it's Guild then chances are they have all or most of the crafting stations in the Guild home already anyway. And since there is no personal storage inside yet, i.e., storage chests, etc...it might not be a bad option, but you won't be able to display your mounts inside the Guild house...unfortunately.

I don't want to have a negative or positive effect on your purchase (if you choose to purchase), I'm just expressing my thoughts and opinions about it's pro's, con's, etc. If money is not an option for you, however, I would highly recommend just going for a noble home for big money, or perhaps save them until something nicer comes along (however long that may be) and get into a Guild with a sweet house....having a Guild with a sweet house is practically the same as owning your own...and if you're basically broke, the Guild house is probably better in my opinion.

-- Choose wisely
    "We don't want other worlds, we want mirrors." - Gibarian
    --
    Nightblade (Bosmer) - Kremlok
    Templar (Khajiit) - Drops-the-Ball
    Templar (Altmer) - Lyranil of Alinor
    Necromancer (Altmer) - Kalomyr
    Sorcerer (Dunmer) - Lord Eldruin
  • ParadiseHunter
    ParadiseHunter
    Soul Shriven
    Swifigames wrote: »
    Hello.

I don't believe you can buy it unfurnished and then furnish it later, you'd have to pay crowns for furnishing sets or craft housing items yourself from blueprints you find on your journey in the game. The easiest way would be to perhaps buy furnishing sets from the crown store when you have more finances to decorate. The living room set in the crown store is currently 4000 crowns...comes with 24 items, the parlor pack is 750, and I see the lowest furniture set is sitting at 200 crowns and that's for the 'household necessities' pack. There are many more packs of different types in the CS, but the highest is 4000 and the lowest is 200...all crowns. I would think it couldn't be a bad option to just find recipe blueprints yourself and make your own decorations, but that's just me. Totally your choice tbh...do what makes you happy, and make good financial decisions irl.

If you think you'll go the decorate yourself route....and think you can squeeze out a little more crowns, it might not be a bad idea to pick up one of the larger noble homes...you'll receive a unique title depending on which one of those you get. I know they are a lot of crowns, but if you're going to spend crowns anyway why not get the best? I understand cash flow, etc...but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I'm absolutely dying for a larger noble home myself and I CAN do it right now and keep backing out for the past week as I want something with water and something sexy...I may just hold my crowns and see if a noble Grahtwood home will appear eventually. I really like the Gorinir Estate as well, but am disappointed it doesn't come with a water source of any type, which seems strange to me considering it's in Grahtwood :/
    I found myself a pretty reasonable Guild that bought the Strident Springs Demense, and if you're on good standing with a Guild who's Guildmaster owns a home you can practically call that home just the same as you would your own AND if it's Guild then chances are they have all or most of the crafting stations in the Guild home already anyway. And since there is no personal storage inside yet, i.e., storage chests, etc...it might not be a bad option, but you won't be able to display your mounts inside the Guild house...unfortunately.

I don't want to have a negative or positive effect on your purchase (if you choose to purchase), I'm just expressing my thoughts and opinions about it's pro's, con's, etc. If money is not an option for you, however, I would highly recommend just going for a noble home for big money, or perhaps save them until something nicer comes along (however long that may be) and get into a Guild with a sweet house....having a Guild with a sweet house is practically the same as owning your own...and if you're basically broke, the Guild house is probably better in my opinion.

-- Choose wisely
    What you mean by "it doesn't come with a water source of any type"
    Why whould I need a water source?
  • Swifigames
    Swifigames
    ✭✭✭
    There is no current function for water sources in homes purchased...it's just an aesthetic thing.
    I'd just enjoy the Gorinir Estate much more if it had a source of water inside...it would FEEL more valuable to me for role-playing purposes.
    Edited by Swifigames on April 30, 2017 9:46AM
    "We don't want other worlds, we want mirrors." - Gibarian
    --
    Nightblade (Bosmer) - Kremlok
    Templar (Khajiit) - Drops-the-Ball
    Templar (Altmer) - Lyranil of Alinor
    Necromancer (Altmer) - Kalomyr
    Sorcerer (Dunmer) - Lord Eldruin
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Display mounts"?

Like horses? Or the dungeon/trial/whatever bust trophies?
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you mean by "it doesn't come with a water source of any type"
    Why whould I need a water source?
    I think he means there are no lakes, rivers, or waterfalls, despite the fact most areas in Grahtwood have water nearby.

If you're going to buy a home, one of the features is being able to craft your own furniture and decorations, which can be done through crafting. You'll need to learn the "recipe" and have proper skills, but why buy furniture when you can make what you want?

The flexibility of this isn't having to limit your decorations to your race. My house, Moonmirth, has a variety of decorations from all races and they blend very nicely, though I'm one who enjoys "clutter" in my house.

If you intend to buy a house through Crowns, you can do so furnished, but they will only be for the style of the location of the house. There are additional sets you can buy, but in my humble opinion, the price is excessive when most of the items in the bundle can be easily crafted. Save your Crowns for something better than furniture.

Given your current situation, as it appears, you may want to start off small at first, then work to acquire more down the road. It's going to take a considerable number of mats to build furniture for a very large home, and even the "furnished" price only gives a handful of items, which makes the house look less lived in and more "staged to sell". Barf.

Give it some time before you rush to make a decision you may regret.

• Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello.

You can buy any house unfurnished and then take your time either crafting pieces for it, or buying items for gold from vendors and other players, or from the crown store.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Location matters (wayshrine distance to front door, nearest bank)
    Check for hidden/invisible walls (ceilings will be found out when you start ramping upwards, or see others' reviews)
    Look up the furnishing limits before purchase
    Courtyard/space for target dummy
    Check the interior wall/floor type against what materials are available to customize with to see if they match well (for example, Ravenhurst's wood matches well with the Orcish bar to make floors in the empty spaces upstairs)
    Almost all homes are open floor plan, if you want individual rooms, you are improvising/building them
    You need Imperial edition to buy Imperial themed homes with in game gold instead of crowns
    Lots of interiors are insufficiently lit during preview (even furnished) - you will find out what lights work best for the job later
    Like some said above, be cautious - better to test all this out on a small, cheap home
    You may also see the value in a smaller, fully decked out home as opposed to a giant castle at 1/10 of its capacity

Basically, most of what you would do to purchase real estate irl - At least we don't have to worry about banks allowing/selling bad mortgages and causing the economy to almost get rekt.

I also saw a person on the forum turn a turd pile into an Aztec/Saxlheel style using a LOT of stone.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Invincible
    Invincible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started out with Autumn's gate for 69k then ponied up the crowns for mournoth keep. The crafting stations cost more than the entire house :(