Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Help with Alliance War

loris.perenob16_ESO
loris.perenob16_ESO
Soul Shriven
I leveled up till champion 180 and made my decent Epic 160 equipment. I play as a tank and my guild mates told me that I absolutly need two skills from the alliance (Vigor and War Horn), otherwise I'll never be able to be a real tank.
Then i joined the fight, and found totally lost.
I have a tank equipment, defensive stats and all I can do is get brutally slaughtered in a couple of seconds by more or less everyone. Every NB i found on my way slaughtered me with 2 hit, every sorceror just played around with my a*s and all the time i found anyone focusing me the only think I had been able to do is Try to flee, a thing I was able to do only a couple during 4 hours of play of time and only because I was in a big fight.
I'm a tank and i'm unable to survive to a single assoult of more or less anyone for more than 5 seconds. I have defensive skills active and heavy armor but even Light users should flee or survive better than me.

I lost 4 hours of my like to try to reach the level 5 of the alliance to obtain that two skills, reaching only the level 3 and totally losing all my interest in that game mode. I was unable to survive, unable to catch anyone even with immobilize or grip, unable to flee and totally unable to inflict any kind of damage (but I'm a tank, I already know that I will never do damage).
I found the map to be in a bad situation for my faction and frequently the fights was of 8v8, no more, but occasionally i played in a zerg but even that don't helped so much because there was a kind of arrow on my head that showed to everyone that i was an easy prey and even in a zerg every NB that looked at me, even if I was in the center of the group, just teleported to me and 2shotted me, with different skills to flee away barely untouched. that should be for my shield or my heavy armor + staff, I don't know, but everyone was able to see me and know that I was a really easy prey, killing me in few seconds.

The question is that:
I know that there's a huge difference between noobs like me that play only to make 5 levels and obtain two skills and players that play that game mode all the time, but there's a single way that should grant me a chance to do that two levels and obtain that two damned skills without lose all my interest in this game?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well PvP is just a completely different thing from PvE. Like, it's the same game but it's COMPLETELY different. So throw away the notion that due to knowing how to PvE you should have some idea about how to PvP too, it just doesn't work like that.

Tanking in PvP is possible but it's a very niche thing. Monsters/bosses only do set amount of damage within set amount of time, players have no such limits(not to mention situations when you're outnumbered). Some people spec specifically to be able to 1-2shot everyone. It has its tradeoffs, they're generally very weak in prolonged fights but it's possible. Most people, unlike mobs, run around with enough armor penetration to reduce your armor twofold at least. Players also crit. That is a big one. If you aren't a damage shield user, you need Impenetrable on your armor. For a tank...you need to have great sustain, good self heals and understand that the use of a tank in PvP is limited - even if you can survive indefinitely, what's the point? You aren't getting ap without killing players. You also gave no way of making people focus you if they choose to ignore you, no taunting in PvP. You can be effective in a group, by providing support such as CC, possibly Guard etc. Easiest thing is really to go dps-ish and at least tag along a large group, cashing in on their kills.

You also get ap for repairing walls/doors, ressing players, doing daily PvP quests(scouting one doesn't require any fighting, capture resource is possible to solo/duo and if you're quick you won't have to fight any players there either) and even doing the PvE dailies in towns.

Good luck, hope this helps some ;) When I first tried PvP I HATED it, didn't go back there for months. It's not so bad at all though, it's just very different. I eventually got into it when I realized 2 things - 1)this is not PvE 2)I'm gonna die. A lot. And it's okay :p
    Edited by Magdalina on May 10, 2017 9:14AM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVP is very different from the rest of the game and can take hundreds of hour of trial and error to master. As a new PVPer, you don't want to be on your own...that's insane, lol. You want to be in a group. It doesn't have to be a Zerg...even a small group would help you learn the systems. Put out an LFG zone chat..feel free to mention that you're new. Someone will invite you, and probably spend three hours lecturing you on pvp tactics while taking keeps, lol.

You need about 85,000 alliance points for vigor. You might want to go even further to 190,000 AP for caltrops...it's about to get a buff. Either way, it's not an impossible task and it won't take long in a group. Some AP earning tips:

1. Taking a keep now awards 6500 AP minimum. You need to be on property grounds when it flips. Go to keeps under attack and help your team take them. Bam.
    2. Resources award 1500 AP each. After a keep is taken, ride around with your team and take the three resources. A keep and it's three resources give 11k ap...on a busy night you can participate in 15+ keep captures, no problem.
    3. Assist in keep defenses. Watch the resources on your map (you may need to turn them on in the map menu by tabbing over to the section that allows you to toggle map icons). When one of your keeps loses two resources, the third is probably about to go and cut off transit access. Go there and wait. If a wall battle breaks out, use range attacks to assist with kills. If you get hits in, you share the AP. When the battle is over (if you win) WAIT AT THAT KEEP. A defensive AP reward will come through in 2-5 minutes.
    4. Supplement by repairing walls and doors. You can buy these for 90 gold and they return 63 AP. You could earn vigor on nothing but wall repair if you wanted.

But before doing any of this, when you start a PvP session go to a delve and kill a boss. Any delve boss will do. This awards Battle Spirit (which shows on your character sheet). This is 1 hour of +20% AP - add that to all the figures above.

Some people never come around to PVP, and that's a-okay. However, because it adds the randomness of playing against humans versus a predictable computer, it can make you a much, much stronger player if you stick with it. At the very least, an NPC will never strip down to the underwear and ride around you in circles for five minutes. A human might...it's kinda why a lot of us like AP.

But no...seriously...if I ever see that naked horse dude again I'm totally killing him.