Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Calling all crafters! Help please? :)

Saturnana
Saturnana
✭✭✭✭✭
I have a question about crafting passives and how (the amount of) skill points you invest in their passives affect the level of your crafting writs.. Couldn't find anything about this in any crafting guides Google threw at me, so hoping someone here might know. :)

I started out with just leveling up Clothing and Woodworking while I got my DK to lvl 50, and have since trained up the other specialties as well and have them nearly maxed out as far as experience goes. All except Enchanting are at lvl 50 (enchanting is 45 as of today) but I've only invested a large amount of skill points in Clothing and Woodworking.. as in, all passives are maxed except for the hirelings, whom I haven't invested in at all. With all the passives that are maxed out in combination with the skills being maxed out also, any writs I hand in for these two crafting specialties will reward me with an X reward.

Now today, before I started my crafting writs, I maxed out the recipe quality/improvement passives of Provisioning. And while I have absolutely nothing invested in all the other passives, I was kind of expecting these two skill lines to be the parameters, if you would, for the level of your crafting writ reward since they most accurately represent your knowledge of the Provisioning skill. Much to my surprise however, I received a Provisioner's Pack VII. In comparison to that, I find it even stranger that I also received an Enchanter's Coffer IX, while that skill is only lvl 45 and only has the following passives:
Solvent proficiency 5/8
Keen eye: reagents 1/3
Medicinal use 1/3

So with only 7 skill points invested in three non-maxed passives on a non-maxed crafting specialty I get a IX reward, but with 10 skill points invested in two maxed out passives on a maxed out crafting specialty I only get a VII reward. Which leaves me to wonder what it is exactly that raises our crafting reward level. Is it the amount of passives we invest in, are there specific passives we should level/max out? Or am I missing something?
Edited by Saturnana on May 4, 2017 6:37PM
@Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                  - Sheogorath

Best Answer

• MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭
    The passives that mater for master crafting writs are the ones that determine which level you can craft items in. Please note provisioning will vary, and you wont always get a max level writ. Don't know why it's so, but I often get asked to craft lower level food even though I have the correct passives maxed.
    Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure I follow all of the questions, but I'll try to hit them all. If I miss any, Sunshine Daydream maintains amazingly good crafting guides for all facets of the crafting games.

Trade skill line levels

The only helpful point based on your post is to say that you may level your trade skills to fifty at any time. The levels of the skill lines themselves don't change drops or writs. They only dictate how many skill points you can spend in passives, which is what determines drops and writs. So go as fast or slow as you like.

Node drops

You didn't ask, but this might help. The type of materials your character picks up from a node is a mix between their character level and how many points you spend in the first passive of that skill. In other words, if your character is at a level where they can wear dwarven metal armor, but they can only make up to steel, nodes will be a mix of drwarven and steel.

Writs

The writs you receive, and therefore what you're asked to make and here you drop them, is determined entirely by the points spent in the first passive of the skill line. At lowest rank, they all drop in the starter city. When you spend a point in that first passive, they will require the next level of materials and drop in zone 2...one of the capital cities.

Note that there are not an equal number of ranks for all skill lines. Alchemy only has 8, and provisioning only has 6. It's been a loooooong time since I've done lower level writs and paid attention to where they drop. I could be wrong here, but I think this is accurate - I believe that all skill lines go through zones 1-5 then move to Hollow City on a non-vet character or Craglorn for a vet character. That's to say that if you're doing Cloth writs, ranks 6...7....8...9...10 will all drop in the same place.

Writ rewards

In general, ignore the numbering system on the reward packages. These are based on the rank in the first passive, so alchemy and provision won't match up wth the other skills. The numbers don't mean anything, other than the fact that you have a shot at better rewards (mostly gold mats) the higher the writ level. And you ONLY get master crafting writs from top level writs.

And the only passive to be concerned about is the first in each line, that allows making stronger stuff. None of the other passives affect your writs at all. Only invest in them if you need the perks they provide.

Hirelings

These can provide valuable materials. If you don't have ESO plus and a craft bag this can be an inventory management problem. But either way the mats can be helpful for crafters.

When I didn't have a craft bag I still used hirelings, then had an enchanting alt, alechemy/provision alt, and equipment alt. These characters picked up the appropriate emails every 3-4 days and management wasn't so bad. In order of value, I'd say it goes smith, cloth, wood, enchanting, provision.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lnsane wrote: »
    Much to my surprise however, I received a Provisioner's Pack VII. In comparison to that, I find it even stranger that I also received an Enchanter's Coffer IX
    In addition to the info already given, I should point out the "VII" and "IX" are the number of times you've turned in the writs for those skill sets.

The next time you turn in Provisioner, you should get VIII and X for Enchanter. Most of my writs now start with XX (20). I think I'm around XXIII (23), if I think about it. Not sure why the devs used Roman numerals, but there it is.

• Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    And the only passive to be concerned about is the first in each line, that allows making stronger stuff. None of the other passives affect your writs at all. Only invest in them if you need the perks they provide.
    If that is not the case for Provisioning and Alchemy, and having their first passives completely maxed out doesn't work, do you know what other passives we should level for those? I'm aiming for master writs without having to spend all of my skill points in crafting.. xD
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Much to my surprise however, I received a Provisioner's Pack VII. In comparison to that, I find it even stranger that I also received an Enchanter's Coffer IX
    In addition to the info already given, I should point out the "VII" and "IX" are the number of times you've turned in the writs for those skill sets.

The next time you turn in Provisioner, you should get VIII and X for Enchanter. Most of my writs now start with XX (20). I think I'm around XXIII (23), if I think about it. Not sure why the devs used Roman numerals, but there it is.

I have been getting X rewards for Clothing and Woodworking for a long long time now, and the X never goes up to XI. So unless this works differently on console, which I doubt, I'm pretty sure the above is inaccurate.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

- Sheogorath
  • Reclaire
    Reclaire
    Violynne wrote: »

I have been getting X rewards for Clothing and Woodworking for a long long time now, and the X never goes up to XI. So unless this works differently on console, which I doubt, I'm pretty sure the above is inaccurate.

Right. Been doing writs a long time, all X except Provisioner & Alchemy (VII or VIII?). Never anything higher.