Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Morrowind Physical Collector's Edition pc cd needed?

Whitness
Whitness
Soul Shriven
I hear talk of the CD being required to actually be able to run the game on PC.
Not to install, but to play, I would like to know if this is true (because I can't find a clear answer yes or no, only claims).
Because Imo it would suck to physically have to have the disc present to play... (since it's all a digital game).

Greetz, Whit

Best Answers

• JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, a CD will not be required to play the game. I doubt the CD is even needed at all unless there is some digital content on it that cannot be downloaded.
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • HappyHaunt
    HappyHaunt
    ✭✭✭
    No the CD won't be required to play it. I don't really see the point of physical copies for expansions nowadays anyhow.
    Recently switched to Xbox EU server.
    Main: Dusk Dyzmal - Dunmer - Necromancer - Pact
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • AlienatedGoat
    AlienatedGoat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The disc is only so you can install locally without having to download the 59+ GB file over the Internet first. It's more of a convenience than anything else. Your package will also include a digital code that you can redeem through your account page on the web.

Whether you choose to install from disc or choose to download the file and install that way, you won't have to use the disc to play the game. Just think of it as a back up for your installation, in case you need to reinstall or install on a different computer.
    PC-NA Goat
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Most new computers come with no harddrive cd rom anymore you can install the game from the website
    Options
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not true for PC. You install the game and boom, don't need the CD anymore.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
    Options
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those were the "good old days".

Lol, I still have some discs somewhere, should really throw them out.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Options
  • Whitness
    Whitness
    Soul Shriven
    Hehe thanks for the answers guys, but it still doesn't answer my question :)
    I wasn't asking if a CD is needed to install the game, I was asking if a CD was required to PLAY the upcoming Morrowind expansion (when ordering the Physical Collector's edition).
    I've seen a lot of talk regarding this on the forums, but nobody with an actual concrete answer.

My reason for asking is if it would require a disc to play, it would royally suck =/

Greetz, Whit
    Options
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More than likely youll get a card that has a code and you will go to their website. add the code in your account and then be able to download the update from there.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
    Options
  • Rygonix
    Rygonix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CD checks existed back in the day as arbitrary piracy protection and DRM that didn't work to well. A lot of games stored all their files on your computer and only required a CD so it would pass the DRM (digital rights management) check in the game and allow you to play. It's mostly been replaced by online accounts and pre-generated codes now. If there is a disc in a game box, it's there typically for a faster alternative installation of your product than if you were to download it.
    Ceres Des Mortem-Dark Elf Templar, EP
    PC-NA
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whitness wrote: »
    I hear talk of the CD being required to actually be able to run the game on PC.
    Not to install, but to play, I would like to know if this is true (because I can't find a clear answer yes or no, only claims).
    Because Imo it would suck to physically have to have the disc present to play... (since it's all a digital game).

Greetz, Whit

This game has never required a CD to play the game. Most have DLed the game. Whoever has been telling you that has either purposely been trolling you or does not know what they are talking about.
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rygonix wrote: »
    CD checks existed back in the day as arbitrary piracy protection and DRM that didn't work to well. A lot of games stored all their files on your computer and only required a CD so it would pass the DRM (digital rights management) check in the game and allow you to play. It's mostly been replaced by online accounts and pre-generated codes now. If there is a disc in a game box, it's there typically for a faster alternative installation of your product than if you were to download it.

And even if CD checks were a thing anymore, an MMO wouldn't need one in the first place - they don't care how many computers you install or run the game on - it's the account that's the important thing.
    Options
  • Whitness
    Whitness
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you everyone for your helpful answers :)
    Despite the incredible price of the CE (/sigh lol), I can now with a sure mind order it.
    I've never bought an expansion this expensive before, but the statue is a neat thing to have, and well... Naryu's journal = must :pensive:
    Thanks everyone again for the help, it is much appreciated :wink:

If you are on Euro server, see you in game o)

Greetz, Whit
    Options