Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What is the point to DW?

Bam_Bam
Bam_Bam
✭✭✭✭✭
Why do a LOT of builds incorporate DW when a S+B would probably be better? Assuming none of the DW SKILLS are being used, the only benefit I can see is the final passive (twin blade and blunt)in the DW tree? Builds and building and stats aren't my strong point so could someone please enlighten me about this?
Joined January 2014
PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
Lims Kragm'a
Bam Bam Bara
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    higher heavy attacks damage?
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More damage = better build :P In pve
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Erm...what builds are we talking about? If it's magicka(since you mention none of the dw skills being actually used) it's because DW provides higher spelldamage buff than any other weapon(actually I think on par with 2h but dat passive plus extra set bonus...), including staff. S&b is somewhere veeeeeeeeeery far behind there since it's not a dps oriented setup.
    Edited by Magdalina on May 5, 2017 7:26AM
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL:DR = DEEPS ! :D
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget role-playing purposes: Why would a skilled assassin need a shield?
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    TL:DR = DEEPS ! :D

No idea what that means sorry.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dracindo wrote: »
    Don't forget role-playing purposes: Why would a skilled assassin need a shield?

Not a roleplayer here. Sorry
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Erm...what builds are we talking about? If it's magicka(since you mention none of the dw skills being actually used) it's because DW provides higher spelldamage buff than any other weapon(actually I think on par with 2h but dat passive plus extra set bonus...), including staff. S&b is somewhere veeeeeeeeeery far behind there since it's not a dps oriented setup.

Yep I meant say magicka builds. Lots of temps and even sorcs and magicka DK's seem to rock DW. Always wondered why. Thanks for the explanation! :)
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Alphashepherd
    Alphashepherd
    Soul Shriven

I'm new to ESO, and have been trying to learn the mechanics of the game. You mention that DW provides higher spell damage buffs than any other weapon... is this due to the actual enchantments on the weapons themselves or is it because of the DW weapon skill line?

Thanks!
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DW provides you with higher base damage than SnB. The twin blade and blunt passive and the ruffian passive are useful even for magicka characters. The ruffian passive buffs your light attacks when you're weaving.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm new to ESO, and have been trying to learn the mechanics of the game. You mention that DW provides higher spell damage buffs than any other weapon... is this due to the actual enchantments on the weapons themselves or is it because of the DW weapon skill line?

Thanks!

It's not enchantments nor the passives in the skill tree, it's simply base weapon damage. If you look at a weapon's tooltip, it'll say there "weapon damage 1234"(random number off the top of my head).This value increases with the quality of this weapon. This value is a flat value(as far as I can tell) that simply gets added to both your weapon and spell damage when you equip this weapon. For whatever reason this value is higher for melee weapons, namely 2h and DW, than it is for staves. Say(not in game right now so these will be random just to give the idea) gold staff damage is 1400 and gold sword is 900, so 2 gold swords is 1800, 400 spelldamage increase(it's actually something like 300 I think but don't quote me on this, I'll check when I'm in the game next).

AND you get the dw passive and a possibility of an extra set bonus on top. The reason why we don't all use DW is because it makes us miss out on destro staff skills/passives and because it's bad for weaving - while you can kinda weave in melee range, the damage of DW's light/heavy attacks scales with max stamina and wep damage which magicka builds have at an alltime low, hence hitting like a wet noodle. It still has its uses though, especially for classes that have class spammables and don't have to rely on destro staff. It might actually change next patch though because with all the sustain changes we'll likely have to rely on heavy attacks to restore resources a lot and DW heavy attacks restore stamina.
    Edited by Magdalina on May 5, 2017 9:12PM