Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

epic furniture pattern rarity

Mephisto939
Mephisto939
✭✭✭✭
Is it just me, or do certain patterns seem much more rare than others? I have gotten the ritual horn, noble cauldron and pie dish half a dozen times each, others not once. The traders also seem to be well stocked with these ones. Is it just RNG?
Why did the Dunmer cross the road?
Apparently to get stuck in an eternal load screen!
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it can't be pure RNG. The more desirable patterns are clearly set to drop less often. Generic (non-racial) items drop the most. Then some of the rarer drops include things like canopy beds.

I've purchased about 150 purple motifs from the master writ grab bags, so after that many you start to see what's rare and what's common.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anecdata from PC/NA

My character who has perhaps 15% of all purple recipes memorized knows about half of the purple recipes available for sale in the guild stores he's checked recently. This suggests some kind of skew ...

... and I do NOT think that the skew is all about "desirability". (In particular, I don't think this is about people keeping the recipes I like and selling off the ones they don't.) Rather, I suspect that there's some kind of RNG breakage, wherein perhaps certain recipes are twice as likely to drop as certain others. (It is easy to imagine how a programming error with that particular effect could occur.)

Also, while my rate of dupes from Mr. Hlalu isn't 50% yet, but it seems about twice as high as chance would suggest.

On the whole, Redguard purple recipes of any kind seem to drop very rarely. But I wouldn't necessarily say the same about other groups that might be perceived as more desirable, e.g. Khajiit.

Meanwhile, based on how often it appears in guild stores, the recipe Redguard Desk, Florid must have quite a high drop rate, even though I've only actually gotten it once myself.