The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Origins of the Dragonknight's "Venon Magic" and their relations to the dragons...

Gabrielzavadski
Gabrielzavadski
✭✭✭
Hi! I wanted to know how the venon morphs from the Dragonknights skills enters into the The Elder Scrolls lore...

I did a research and found no mention of Dragons using "venon shouts" or actually "spitting venon" or being poisonous, exept the descriptions of the following ESO skills:

Venomous Claw: Rake an enemy with your claw, dealing poison damage. The poison seeps into the enemy and increases the damage the longer it lasts;
Noxious Breath: Exhale a corrosive blast, dealing poison damage and reducing an enemy armor;
Green Dragon Blood: (It has no special description, but it describes the blood of the dragon being "green");
Corrosive Armor: Oxidize the "green dragon" blood in your veins ("green blood" from the skill above), limiting income damage, damage nearby enemies with poison and making atacks ignore enemy armor.

There are non-canon information that the Tsaesci (who created the "dragonknight martial arts") learned those "dragon-like" techniques from the dragons themselves; Or that they ate dragons and mimicked them (hence the dragon wings and spikes, maybe their regeneration too).

The only things that could make sense, are that the Tsaesci are reptilian/serpentine folk (controversial), and the fact that the dragons are actual reptiles, proved at TES V, as you encounter the Revered Dragons and the Serpentine Dragons, although the most common dragons are also reptilian. But still no venon/poison/disease...

I know ESO is canon, but should I consider the skills and their descriptions and mechanics canon as well?

(Also, have I posted in the right forum? Or should I post on General, or other?)

Sorry for the english!
Glory for the Pact!
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    I would consider them canon. I would also make room for the possibility that there are different dragons with different characteristics. Especially considering that there is both "dragon blood" and "green dragon blood".

edit: In "Mysterios Akavar" on page 212 of the Skyrim Library Vol. 1 Histories, it makes mention of both red and black dragons. While it doesn't specify different abilities between the two, we do see that there are different kinds of dragons. We also know from the Skyrim game that different dragons provided different shouts.
    Edited by Dustfinger81 on April 26, 2017 4:04AM
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this elusive "Green Dragon" must smell pretty bad
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    this elusive "Green Dragon" must smell pretty bad

Perhaps even Noxious?

*Shows himself out*
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "in the stories of yore it's said that their breath is so bad it can corrode up to 5160 points of armor"
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Gabrielzavadski
    Gabrielzavadski
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah... it seems no one knows how to answer that mistery... :'(
    Glory for the Pact!
  • Dustfinger81
    Dustfinger81
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah... it seems no one knows how to answer that mistery... :'(

I know ESO is canon, but should I consider the skills and their descriptions and mechanics canon as well?

Yes.
  • WhiteMage
    WhiteMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answer lies not in the lore, but in the already-established combat features of the game. You see, dragonknights are based around DoTs, and fire has a secondary effect that is a DoT. Fire, however, had become magicka-only due to champion points, so to bring stamina dragonknights up to par, they were switched to using the stamina counterpart of fire that also applies a DoT as a secondary effect, poison.

Look no further, this is the real reason Stamina dragonknights use poison damage.
    The generally amicable yet sporadically salty magplar that may or may not have 1vXed you in Sotha Sil. Who knows?