Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

crafting in general

creativetester
creativetester
Soul Shriven
Crafting has been ignored in game for far too long. I have 9 traits in everything, master crafter in all skill lines and I get nothing for it. I propose several changes to the crafting profession. 1. there needs to be a title called master crafter that can be seen just like master wizard or dragonstar arena champion etc, weve spent the countless hours researching traits and the time to level all skill lines. It needs to have prerequisites like 9 traits in everything including alchemy, rune knowledge, and level 50 in all skill lines. 2. I think it prudent to be able to craft and upgrade jewelry, there can be a certain upgrade like dreugh wax or tempering alloy, but just for jewelry and the customization of sets can be profound. However, since most crafted sets are total crap with few exceptions, the sets need to be either revamped and made better or the really bad ones deleted and replaced with better sets as we haven't even seen a new set in almost a year since dark brotherhood was released. 3. the cost of cp 160 gear needs to be rethought as its 10x the cost from 150 to 160, but offers minimal bonuses. The cost should either be reduced by 80% at least or the stats of 160 gear at the very least doubled to account for the high cost. 4. now with the revamp from cp instead of vet rank, all those mats from cp 10 to cp 140 are useless now unless its your first character. I propose revamping the system again and widening the range so for example calcinium which is heavy cp 10-30 now goes cp10-80, galatite cp 90-180, quicksilver 190-280, voidstone 290-450 and rubedite 460-600 or whatever you want to make it so only high level cp players can use the high level mats and it makes the stats greater. the cp cap for armor and weapons all around needs to be revamped for the drop gear as well to drop at their cp level and not cap at cp 160. I urge you to think about my proposals and make changes to the crafting skill as its dying. I also have one more suggestion, enable basic trait gems to be purchased in game from in game vendors and not have to buy from other players. You can buy the basic style stones which is fine, but you cant buy the trait gems for well fitted or training except from guild traders at inflated prices. I make several sets of training gear every week. I have like 450 emeralds, at my rate of crafting, id run out in a couple of months, yes I make that much
  • MiliStarling
    MiliStarling
    ✭✭✭
    I've put endless hours into crafting ability, and I do agree that it feels like we are getting very little reward.

Non-crafters haven't the remotest clue what all it takes to be able to craft them a set, so they tend to think we're greedy for setting a fair price.
    And the sets hardly compare to dungeon sets, so there's little demand at end-game.

I do like to help folks out with gear, but those who haven't attempted crafting tend to think they're being gouged even if all you ask for is enough to cover cost.
    I almost always end up taking a loss, because I actually feel bad asking them for what its really worth, time/gold-wise, because it's not usually worth it combat-wise
    Edited by MiliStarling on May 3, 2017 2:29PM
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes oh yes please gods >_<
    2. a Jewelry crafting: I'd like to be able to, they'd need to work on balancing it, but it'd be nice to be able to make a gold piece of jewelry.
    2. b. New crafting sets - They add new sets every time they add a zone, so I believe they will in Morrowind. Some of the sets are BIS, some are downright useless. Some are situational.
    3. I like the idea of doubling the effect honestly - gives you a reason to spend that much materials but have a noticeably better set.
    4. Eh. Don't care one way or the other - I can use the levelling materials to make crafting levelling packs.
    5. Do you also make training gear for aspiring crafters to learn? :-p Because I'm in the same boat with emeralds.

Finally, as an fyi, your post was a little hard to read - if you just broke it up into bullet points, it'd be a lot easier to follow.
    I do like to help folks out with gear, but those who haven't attempted crafting tend to think they're being gouged even if all you ask for is enough to cover cost.
    I almost always end up taking a loss, because I actually feel bad asking them for what its really worth, time/gold-wise, because it's not usually worth it combat-wise
    @MiliStarling - I usually give them a rundown of how things are broken up, and if they balk at it, they can craft it themselves. Don't really understand why you feel bad about asking for money for what they want.

PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • creativetester
    creativetester
    Soul Shriven
    I have no problems making anything for research as I'm 9 traits in everything. I only ask if its nirnhoned, you supply the appropriate nirncrux, but since the game will not let me in, that's difficult, but that's another matter entirely
  • MiliStarling
    MiliStarling
    ✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    Don't really understand why you feel bad about asking for money for what they want.
    Because, as I said, I am well aware it's probably not worth the gold for what it is in combat.
    Edited by MiliStarling on May 3, 2017 10:15PM
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    Don't really understand why you feel bad about asking for money for what they want.
    Because, as I said, I am well aware it's probably not worth the gold for what it is in combat.

Eh, if after I've warned them how small the difference is and how much it'll cost, they still want it, they can pay for it.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.