Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO: Morrowind – Warden Developer Q&A"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article ESO: Morrowind – Warden Developer Q&A. Check out this Q&A with Lead Combat Designer Eric Wrobel, Senior Animator Silvia Littlefield, and Lead VFX Artist Cambria Blaize to get some insight regarding the Warden's design and creation process.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    They didn't explain why they had to nerf the Templar into nothing to make the class a relevant healer... sad
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • dimensional
    dimensional
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fodore wrote: »
    They didn't explain why they had to nerf the Templar into nothing to make the class a relevant healer... sad

Because they didn't do any such thing and you're just exaggerating to great effect for attention.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[shrug] They probably did that bit before anything hit PTS. Besides, it is marketing material, not substance.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Wrobel: Well this is cheesy, but I'm most proud of the team that created the Warden."

Typical Wrobel comment..and that isnt bad. More team leaders need to learn that stuff.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cambria Blaize is an excellent name.

And the interview was pretty neat too.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Floki_Vilgerdarson
    Floki_Vilgerdarson
    ✭✭✭✭
    The colors you chose are definitely going to make the warden "stand out". Horrible choice of colors for the nature line. Did you get much player feedback on the colors. Ice looks good.

Also, mushrooms have ALWAYS been associated with poison and death, not healing! Oh, they also are a hallucinogenic drug. Are the art directors using Shrooms?

I love this game, but I never would of ordered Morrowind if you included your hallucinogenic nature class skills in the trailer.

Floki
    Edited by Floki_Vilgerdarson on May 3, 2017 7:20PM
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Q&A, looking forward to trying the warden out in PVP small scale and off tank/dps for pve.
    The Flyers
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The colors you chose are definitely going to make the warden "stand out". Horrible choice of colors for the nature line. Did you get much player feedgack on the colors. Ice looks good.

Also, mushrooms have ALWAYS been associated with poison and death, not healing! Oh, they also are a hallucinogenic drug. Are the art directors using Shrooms?

I love this game, but I never would of ordered Morrowind if you included your hallucinogenic nature class skills in the trailer.

Floki

You might be hallucinating about the hallucinogenic nature of the class. :smile:

I will agree that 'Shrooms tend to be bad, even in other parts of ESO, so my thinking is that they are drawing inspiration from Mario Bros.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Floki_Vilgerdarson
    Floki_Vilgerdarson
    ✭✭✭✭
    The colors you chose are definitely going to make the warden "stand out". Horrible choice of colors for the nature line. Did you get much player feedgack on the colors. Ice looks good.

Floki

You might be hallucinating about the hallucinogenic nature of the class. :smile:

I will agree that 'Shrooms tend to be bad, even in other parts of ESO, so my thinking is that they are drawing inspiration from Mario Bros.

The art directors clearly do not understand this game, the lore of Skyrim that brought us to ESO, or even care to ask players what they think. Horrible job on the entire nature skill line. Looks like the wrong game.

Floki
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wardens are probably the coolest looking class animation/color-scheme wise of all the classes imo. Balance may be a questionable thing for people on PTS, but it has become quite a consensus amongst anyone who has seen the Warden that the skills look awesome!

Also I'm confident ZOS is not purposely trying to harm their game. I don't exactly support how they've gone about including so many huge changes on the first version of the PTS, but we are gradually seeing them make good changes to it.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick thing I'd like to address that I found really important:

"Wrobel: We had to identify some core components of PvE and PvP content in the game. In PvE we wanted to make a damage rotation that felt unique, while still being as effective as other classes."

This makes sense and is clearly a reasonable goal. However, from everything I've seen so far on PTS as well as those I've heard from, Magicka Warden DPS is quite low and ineffective compared to all other classes. Luckily we are dealing with a PTS so changes can be made, though I'd love for ZOS to please make sure this is the case. I want to main a Mag Warden DPS when Morrowind releases, but will not be able to give up my Mag Sorc if the DPS difference is so substantial.

Also, there is this:

"For example, we were playing with the idea of having Winter's Embrace exclusively deal damage, but when trying to make an entire class' Skill Lines, the other options made less sense for a tanking tree."

It makes sense why the decision was made to create a skill tree focusing on tanking. However, it may be worth looking back at this skill tree as a way to increase Mag Warden DPS should it continue to be on the low end. By upping the strength of Cold damage passively much more (perhaps through some sort of Cold Damage version "Burning Light" or increasing Cold Damage via the existing passive) it would be easy to bridge that gap. Just a thought :)
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭

Because they didn't do any such thing and you're just exaggerating to great effect for attention.

They pretty much gutted it of several things that make the Templar an outstanding healer...
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • Arbitrator
    Arbitrator
    ✭✭✭

They pretty much gutted it of several things that make the Templar an outstanding healer...

And gave them nearly everything a Templar would need to make them a viable tank...