Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Low Health - Attribute Issues?

TamrielSaviour215
TamrielSaviour215
✭✭✭
My main character is an Imperial Templar (not the best choice for a Templar, I know). I am somewhere around CP190 at the moment. I dumped all of my attribute points into Magicka and a few of my pieces of gear are enchanted with health improvements. I have I believe around 19k health but I seem to take way more damage than others that I am with in dungeons, even characters that are level 25-50. I love playing as a healer and I rarely die as I can heal myself rather easily, but I just wondered if its normal for healers to take a lot of damage so quickly or if I have a really crappy set up? I watch my health bar take a pretty massive hit while others like these level 25 tanks are just in the thick of it not taking a scratch. Should I hit the shrine and redistribute my attribute points? If so, any suggestions?
PS4/NA
Jasunr Cosmus - Imperial Templar, Supreme Healer of the Cosmos CP 240
Itzal Siavish - Khajit NB, Thief LVL 38
Bruxana - Altmer Sorc, Powerhouse DPS Lvl 18
Torvakor - Redguard Stam Warden Lvl 7
Langsdon Emerson - Imperial DK Tank - Lvl 31
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I run with 17k health (18 and some change with Ebon set) and it works for me. If you're taking a lot of damage in dungeons your tank is probably not doing his job well. If you're using mics I'd let the group know so the DDs can help you out.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed when looking at other player builds that between 18-20k health is pretty standard. Maybe I just need a better gear setup. I am pretty sure I have mostly all light armor with the exception of boots and sash I believe. I will just blame the tanks for now :D
    PS4/NA
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed when looking at other player builds that between 18-20k health is pretty standard. Maybe I just need a better gear setup. I am pretty sure I have mostly all light armor with the exception of boots and sash I believe. I will just blame the tanks for now :D

Light armor is the way to go for PvE healing. I'd go heavy if you were going to be PvPing. What sets are you using? Are they complete sets?
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    No. I don't have any complete sets yet. That should help. I just need to do dungeons for a day and try to get a matching set. Would you go health or magicka for the sets?
    PS4/NA
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can get yourself some crafted gear in the meanwhile, Seducer or Julianos or something. There aren't (m)any good monster sets for healers so standard healing setp is 5+5+1, usually both dropped sets like Spellpower cure, Worm cult, Sanctuary etc. Just some options for you to look into ;)

Far as being squishy goes, 18k health is plenty, my healer runs with 17k in 7/7 light. There're many sitiations(in vet dungeons at least) where you can get hit hard, but if it actually one shots you you or your team probably did something wrong. Situational awareness is the key - don't stand in red, watch out for mobs' heavy attacks, anticipate heavy attacks and avoid/block them etc. Also Annulment, light armor active skill, is really great. It's a damage absorbing shield, scales with your max magicka, I think it's about 20k on my healer(admittedly with 600 cp). One of the morphs even returns magicka while taking magic damage so it's pretty much free to spam in most fights. Btw nevermind level 25 people, at low levels you get battle leveled a LOT and it distorts the grand picture quite a bit.
  • TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet. I am going to craft that tonight. I think its Wrothgar for Julianos, not sure where Seducer is or what the added bonuses are for each. That's what experimenting is for! Thanks for the insight everyone. I will also try Annulment instead of some the other buffs I have that dont really help against bosses anyway. At least Annulment will give me more of an advantage against the bosses. Good looks!
    PS4/NA
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're in a doldrum of the leveling system, unfortunately. One Tamriel works by handing low level characters a ton of handicaps to their stats, including gear. It's howmthey can kill c160 monsters (which is what everything is set to). These are reduced as you level because you're supposed to replace the power lost on your own. So I see loooooots of posts from c160-300 players saying what you're saying.

Some tips:

You're correct to dump all attributes into magic and to adjust health needs via armor enchants. An attribute is worth 115 stam/magic...one piece of armor is ~900. It's easier to use armor enchants to fine tune.

It goes without saying...but needs to be said...that you should spend points in EVERY helpful passive. If it gives you a buff, even tiny, go get shards and spend the point. All class passives...all in weapons you use...all in light armor, and some in heavy if you wear heavy. And any others in the tree that help.

My Templar healer felt horribly squishy until I learned to slot and spam Harness Magicka under certain circumstances. If you've overlooked this skill, it's fantastic on my Templar in vet combat.

At your level, it's now about improving your gear type and quality. You should be working toward an appropriate set configuration: 5/5/2 or 5/5/1 or 5/4/2 or whatever maximizes each gear slot. (Alcasthq.com has great builds...and he always cites secondary "starter armor" that's easier to get).

Until you have more CPs (which will help you be way tankier), there's no shame in using 1-2 pieces heavy armor.

Quality is going to count more for you now...you probably need purple gear in addition to the right sets. And the gap between all purple and all gold is significant. You don't want to rush and spend gold mats on a set you might not keep long....but if you find a setup that really works for you, going gold piece by piece is helpful. If nothing else, get those weapons to gold - the damage boost is huge. For an initial gold mat investment, Julianos is a fanstatic set that would serve you well. It was the first magic set I made gold, and I still use it...and handed it across three vet characters.

Make sure your CPs are invested wisely. Some massively outperform others. Again, Alcast is a really knowledgeable player and his builds always have a 300 CP recommendation. This will point you in the right direction...although CPs will shift massively in June, so make sure to check thenguides then because you'll almost certainly need to recast.

Those are some basics. And perhaps there's something there you've overlooked, in which case I hope the tips help. But the bottom line is that it's not just you - CP160-300 can be a struggle. Make small improvements where you can and keep on earning those CPs. You'll get stronger over time.

• TamrielSaviour215
    TamrielSaviour215
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Davey. That was insanely helpful. Thanks so much! I actually started to craft Julianos last night. I should have a complete set in the next week. I have a lot to trade so I can probably make some gold with stuff in the bank to buy materials that I might not have. I will definitely give that site a look because sometimes I don't think I am spending the CPs wisely. There are a few passives I am still missing as well so I will make sure to get those ASAP. Thanks again!!!
    PS4/NA